O/T DH

Old September 24th 10, 11:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
GrammyKathy[_3_]

Default O/T DH

DH went to the SS office yesterday and signed up. They said there
will be no problem of him not only getting it but will be paid back to
Feb. when he stopped working. They told him to tell me to come in and
apply so I told him to make me an appointment Thank you for all the
prayers and keep them comeing cause they sure are working.
Old September 25th 10, 12:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

Kathy, this sounds rather unusual. First of all, they do not pay you for
the first six months from the date of disability- which cannot be until some
date after he quit working. And I am surprised they would indicate it would
be 'no problem' since they have no authority to make a decision. It may be
'no problem' to make an application but......

I'm sorry to be a party-pooper but please double check with SS that there
wasn't some misunderstanding. I wish you all the very best and a quick
decision on your applications.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old September 25th 10, 01:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

On 24/09/2010 23:48, GrammyKathy wrote:
DH went to the SS office yesterday and signed up. They said there
will be no problem of him not only getting it but will be paid back to
Feb. when he stopped working. They told him to tell me to come in and
apply so I told him to make me an appointment Thank you for all the
prayers and keep them comeing cause they sure are working.

Yay! Excellent!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old September 25th 10, 11:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

People who work in these places have a tendency to know which
applications are a 'shoe-in'. It can take some time to get through
the systems, however.

Here it took nearly a year to get all in order, but they back-paid
from the date of application.

All I would advise is, to document every phone call, every contact
person and their number, the time and date of your conversation, and
what was said. I usually do this at the time and finish any
conversation with, " I understand this: blah, blah, blah" and get them
to either say I've got it right, or to correct things so I have got it
right.

Then. If anything goes ker-bluey I can go back to the notes and tell
them chapter and verse who said what to whom, and the results and
follow-ons from that Understanding.

The other thing I did, was keep the Bank in the loop at all times.
They have been absolutely terrific. They changed accounts, upped
overdraft limits in advance (just in case: which happened), lowered
charges and juggled stuff about when it became necessary. If they
know, they can help. If they don't, they are apt to get a bit
awkward.

The phone notes made more than one company eat its words. All calls
are monitored and recorded for their purposes. But two can play at
that game, and sometimes this little man wins. Especially if you can
say, "I spoke to Tommy on 12th of Octember at 1345hrs and he said..."
They can go back to their records and check... and back down
gracefully!

Good luck. Keep up the good work, and remember.

When all was well with you, you paid for some other individual who
needed assistance. Now it's your turn. And other people's tax
dollars are for you. In a little while, when things are better again,
you may be able to help the next ones down the line. That is how it
works. And we should be rightly proud that we live in countries who
run this kind of system. We help each other according to need. It is
no shame to need help. It is certainly no shame to ask for it. NEVER
let anyone make you feel that you are 'scrounging' or in any other way
unworthy. Next year it may be them.

Take care,
Nel
(Gadget Queen)
Old September 25th 10, 03:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 15:48:33 -0700, GrammyKathy wrote:

DH went to the SS office yesterday and signed up. They said there will
be no problem of him not only getting it but will be paid back to Feb.
when he stopped working. They told him to tell me to come in and apply
so I told him to make me an appointment Thank you for all the prayers
and keep them comeing cause they sure are working.

Unless you are 65 don't count on it.
Nine times out of ten you will have to go to court to get SSI.
No problem usually means that they think the application process will be
smooth and that you should indeed get it, but you will probably have to
go to court anyway. It is just the way the system works. After you get
it they will back pay to the date of the initial application though.

I know exactly two people who got it without having to go to court.
Ash got it no questions asked.
I got it on my second application. I didn't know about the court thing
on my first application, and not going to court earned me a visit from a
social worker who yelled at me for not contesting the decision. The same
worker was boggled when they just approved the second application.
My little brother had to go to court, and he is paralyzed from the waist
down!
Except for the chosen few (I think it is a lottery or something because
it often makes no sense regarding who breezes through) _everybody_ has to
go to court to get SSI.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old September 25th 10, 04:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

.....and there still is a ton of fraud. go figure. Anyone that thinks
government can do anything well is loony tunes.

Taria

Old September 25th 10, 05:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

Kathy said SS- which I took to be social security disability and not SSI
(Supplemental Security Income). I don't know much about SSI, but I was
approved for social security disability (SSD) in 3 weeks, on my first
application and without going to court. It happens once in a blue moon
with a very thoroughly completed application form and lots of medical
documentation to support your claim.

I don't know about a waiting period with SSI but SSD does not start paying
until 6 mo. after the date they determine you are disabled. (Your
disability date is *always* after the date you quit working- their policy is
that if you are working you are not disabled- but they don't say how you are
to survive with no income thru the application process and the waiting
period.) Medicare benefits start 24 months after the date you are
determined to be disabled. That one is my frustrated rant- if you are
disabled you *need* the coverage so you *can* go to the doctor- and starting
like right now rather than 2 years later. grrrrr! With SSI you will
usually get Medicaid benefits that start immediately- and have more medical
coverage than Medicare plus prescription benefits that you do not get with
Medicare unless you buy an additional supplement policy.

Leslie- thinking the system stinks! & The Furbabies in MO.

Old September 25th 10, 06:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IEZ[_2_]

"Taria" wrote in message
....and there still is a ton of fraud. go figure. Anyone that thinks
government can do anything well is loony tunes.

Taria

Why thank you! I worked for the government for 34 years. My husband
worked for the government for 26 years. Mom worked for the government, dad
was a police officer (government).

We did our jobs well, all of us. And so did the vast majority of our
co-workers. Even when we were hamstrung by Governor Ridge and his gang of
incompetents.

Sincerely,

Loony Tunes Iris

Old September 25th 10, 07:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On 25/09/2010 18:26, IEZ wrote:
wrote in message
....and there still is a ton of fraud. go figure. Anyone that thinks
government can do anything well is loony tunes.

Taria

Why thank you! I worked for the government for 34 years. My husband
worked for the government for 26 years. Mom worked for the government, dad
was a police officer (government).

We did our jobs well, all of us. And so did the vast majority of our
co-workers. Even when we were hamstrung by Governor Ridge and his gang of
incompetents.

Sincerely,

Loony Tunes Iris

It's the government rules, regulations, and impossible restrictions that
hamper the civil servants trying to make the system work. Our SS
systems are so complex that half the workers in the job centers cannot
work out which benefits any particular applicant needs! They find it
incredibly frustrating.

Old September 25th 10, 08:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Calm down Iris. I sleep with a govt. employee (retired now) and both my
kids work for municipalities.
I didn't say the workers are lazy just that the system stinks. It doesn't
work well. I believe political
self interest almost nearly insures that. Most all the parts of a machine
can run well and still the machine
can be broken. There is a ton of fraud. I used to tell my husband the
worst part of his job was putting
up with all the BS that was involved. It was and probably still is. Some
things don't change.
Taria