Brother embroidery machine?

Old December 18th 09, 12:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C.

Default Brother embroidery machine?

Kudos to anyone who can afford it Gen. :-) Thanks for the info.

Michelle in Nevada

Gen wrote:
That's a fantastic price for that machine. Worth every penny.
Gen

"Michelle C." wrote in message

In my research for a new "someday" sewing machine, I checked out Brother
Quattro on ebay. Yep. $4,400. Don't think so, not ever.

Sorry, I can't help you, Polly, but I do commiserate.

Michelle in Nevada

Old December 18th 09, 02:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie Patterson[_2_]

Polly,

I use my Bernina 160s lettering to do quilt labels. There are three
alphabets and I use the plain one. For my niece Adiana I printed her
name over and over again with three little hearts between each set. It
went all around the 1.5 dark green inner border. It does take some
thinking to program but it's worth it. When I turned on the memory to
make sure it was clear it wasn't, it printed out what I put on my
Dad's quilt label eight years ago. Some memory!

Bonnie, in Middletown, VA

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 17:50:39 -0600, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

I truly do admire and respect the wonderful things that the finer embroidery
machines will do - but they're just not on my list of things to learn. ( I
also have great admiration for watercolor painting and flying airplanes but
we'll
put those off for a while.) All I really want to achieve just now is some
fine lettering like Linda can do. Thank you, thank you. Polly

"Witchystitcher" wrote...
My Brother 8200 is still going strong! I think it must be at least 10
years old now. You certainly don't need to Quatro or the 4200 to do
lettering. I had purchased a used Bernina 440 with the embroidery
attachment. I thought it would be great because the embroidery field
was bigger, but I much prefer my Brother. Sold the Bernina because I
thought my 8200 was even better on the stitching side and I just move
too fast for the BSR - never got the hang of that.

Overstock.com currently has a Brother machine for $312.99.

Old December 19th 09, 02:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

It works for us, Sandy. He gets me a Harley and I choose a mink coat for
him. It's a win, win exchange. I'm going to need some adult supervision
with buying the embroidery machine. Once I got out into USB, cards, and
PEDs I was baffled. Polly

"Sandy E" wrote Howdy!

So, you want to get a Brother for your husband.
Isn't it a bit late for that? Maybe not, with the wonder drugs out there
these days. So sweet of you to consider the DH when looking at these
machines... wait a minute... did he actually SAY he wants an
embroidery machine? hmmm? Pollll-lly! ? !

Old December 20th 09, 03:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Witchystitcher

You can do lettering on the machine directly without the PED, but it
is easier and you have more control with the PED, however a solution
that is just as effective and much less expensive is Embird with the
fonts you want. You will want a machine with a USB port if possible,
otherwise you have to invest in either the PED or another card reader.

You also will find yourself using the embroidery more than you thought
you would.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY
Queen of Boxtops

Old December 21st 09, 10:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Do not go for that Brother .... it is never good to scrimp on a sewing
machine of any flavor. You really can't expect to get one of quality for
under $200,000. Besides, your DH is worth it!
Smirk. PAT

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
I don't want to embroider Donald Duck on 800 baseball caps. Not even one
pegasus on our tea towels - but - I've seen some really nice, very nice,
lettering done on a Brother embroidery machine. I can write very well in
cursive FM - could even do the Declaration of Independence if motivated.
Witchy (Linda) puts some good-looking lettering on her blocks for Hugs and
a neighbor's friend can too. Friend says she has a Brother that it is
easy-going and wasn't expensive.
So.
Brace yourself.
I wandered over to ebay to see if I might want to give DH a basic
embroidery machine made by Brother. The first one up? Yeeeesh! One
that costs $ 110,000.00.
Don't think that's what I have in mind.
Does anybody have any idea what I do have in mind? Polly