Polished Zinc Came?

Old April 17th 08, 03:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker[_2_]

Default Polished Zinc Came?

I have to build some sidelites and a transom to match an existing door. The
door's zinc has been polished almost to look like chrome, then insulated.

Nobody around here has any pre-polished or plated came in stock. Any ideas
how to go about polishing what I already have on hand? And to protect the
shine? It's going to be insulated, too, so hopefully it will stay
polished/shiny.

Old April 17th 08, 05:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
javahut

" Moonraker" wrote in message
. ..
I have to build some sidelites and a transom to match an existing door.
The door's zinc has been polished almost to look like chrome, then
insulated.

Nobody around here has any pre-polished or plated came in stock. Any
ideas how to go about polishing what I already have on hand? And to
protect the shine? It's going to be insulated, too, so hopefully it will
stay polished/shiny.
After the piece was finsihed , could it have been plated with nickle? look
where the solder joints are on the existing panel, does the solder stand
out? I am saying this for everyone' benefit, Moon, not just yours, I know
you know where to look.

you can try Bright dip solution, (do a bit of research to see what
works)start with something weak like white vinegar and salt, this works on
brass. If you don't need long pieces of zinc, get a wallpaper trough to dip
or soak it in, do not just put it in and leave, watch it to see if it gets
brighter or darker. ( Zinc in straight muriatic will darker and disolve,
don't do that, the gas is toxic)

Just some places to start, but also, after construction, or before I guess,
damp rag, with whiting will shine it up dandy. Just have to get rid or the
dust after construction, and no daze glaze makes a clear liner now.

Old April 17th 08, 05:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
michele

i don't see how it could be zinc... zinc has an awful oxidation problem.
could they have used canfield extra brite lead came? i guess if i had to do
it, i would probably tape off the glass and spray the zinc w/ clear sealer.
but it's going to be hard just getting the stuff brite to begin... other
thing might be tinning the entire thing and polishing really well? m

. ..

Old April 17th 08, 06:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Chemo the Clown

On Apr 17, 9:31*am, "michele" wrote:
i don't see how it could be zinc... zinc has an awful oxidation problem.
could they have used canfield extra brite lead came? i guess if i had to do
it, i would probably tape off the glass and *spray the zinc w/ clear sealer.
but it's going to be hard just getting the stuff brite to begin... other
thing might be tinning the entire thing and polishing really well? m

" Moonraker" wrote in message

. ..

I have to build some sidelites and a transom to match an existing door.
The door's zinc has been polished almost to look like chrome, then
insulated.

Nobody around here has any pre-polished or plated came in stock. *Any
ideas how to go about polishing what I already have on hand? *And to
protect the shine? *It's going to be insulated, too, *so hopefully it will
stay polished/shiny.- Hide quoted text -

A lot of those panels are made in Taiwan and China and are ran through
a nickle bath.
Old April 17th 08, 08:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
michele

when they do the nickel bath, do they run the entire finished panel thru? or
just the cames? i would think the bath would be hard on the glass, but how
would they solder and then finish the joints if its just a pre coat on the
came? m

"Chemo the Clown" wrote in message
On Apr 17, 9:31 am, "michele" wrote:
i don't see how it could be zinc... zinc has an awful oxidation problem.
could they have used canfield extra brite lead came? i guess if i had to
do
it, i would probably tape off the glass and spray the zinc w/ clear
sealer.
but it's going to be hard just getting the stuff brite to begin... other
thing might be tinning the entire thing and polishing really well? m

. ..

Old April 17th 08, 10:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Chemo the Clown

They bathe the entire panel. The nickle won't stick to the glass
except in parts that didn't get clean enough. I've had small nickle
plated items where you could actually see a fingerprint on the glass
and it wouldn't come off.

" Moonraker" wrote in message

I have to build some sidelites and a transom to match an existing door.
The door's zinc has been polished almost to look like chrome, then
insulated.

Nobody around here has any pre-polished or plated came in stock. Any
ideas how to go about polishing what I already have on hand? And to
protect the shine? It's going to be insulated, too, so hopefully it will
stay polished/shiny.- Hide quoted text -

A lot of those panels are made in Taiwan and China and are ran through
a nickle bath.- Hide quoted text -

Old April 17th 08, 10:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Vic

You plate the entire window after its built, but before putty. You
can plate a leaded window too. Many Frank Lloyd Wright zinc windows
were plated copper.

Vic