Austin, TX: LNS recommendations?

Old March 8th 04, 04:21 PM
Threnody

Default Austin, TX: LNS recommendations?

First a quick introduction. I'm a SAHM/WAHM with a 3 year old girl and
another sproglet on the way sometime in July. I'm a computer game
producer by trade but I use cross-stitch to empty my brain of all the
work and home-related stress I seem to collect. Plus, it's nice to do
something "girly" while hashing out coding issues with the guys.

* current project: "StarLight" by Amy Dellinger @ Amy Kessler Designs,

* recent projects: self-designed Assissi "Welcome" for kid sister's new
home and a self-designed sampler of Celtic knotwork

* future projects: a lap robe for my father-in-law featuring train motifs
found in a PC Stitch library (http://www.patternsonline.com)

Now for the meat of the message: I'm delurking to ask the group-at-large
about needlework shops in Austin, Texas. I moved to Austin in 2000 but
only picked up cross-stitching again after a six-year hiaitus last year.
Before that, I more or less grew up with a needle in my hand, generally
adding personal designs to items my mother and grandmother sewed.

I seem to remember one shop on 35th Street at the "26 Doors" shopping
complex (my mother-in-law took me there years before we actually moved to
Austin ourselves), but I can't recall the name of it and for all I know
it isn't even located there. She tended to take me on whirlwind tours of
the town when I visited and it all sorta blurred together after a while.
I *do* remember it had billions of patterns and completed pieces adorning
the walls, and IIRC a lot of Japanese threadwork. I'm almost entirely a
cross-stitcher, having little to no experience with other needlecrafts,
but I'm also returning to my roots a little bit and playing around with
red/blue/blackwork on linens.

Thanks for any advice and opinions you can give about the shops in
Austin. I'm getting awfully tired of trying to find anything worthwhile
to do in Michael's and Hobby Lobby -- besides, I want to support local
businesses as much as possible.

--Threnody

Old March 8th 04, 07:52 PM
NYC Chicka

Thanks for any advice and opinions you can give about the shops in
Austin.

Threnody,

Is Ginger's still on Cameron Rd?? For years I've heard so much about how sweet
Ginger is....

Here's a listing. Sounds like you have a few options:

Gingers 5322 Cameron Road Austin TX 78723 512-454-5344

Good Point, A 2414 Exposition Blvd Suite A1 Austin TX 78703 (512) 457-8303

Needle Works 1206 W. 38th Street Austin TX 78705 (512) 451-6931

Old March 9th 04, 12:52 AM
NYC Chicka

No, you heard Ginger's shop was delicious. Ginger is a snotty, uppity
person.

Aha! =) Good to know.
Old March 9th 04, 01:23 AM
lula

I don't like to dispute other people's experiences but I've done
business with the folks at the Needleworks shop for many years, both the
past and current owners and have found them all to be very pleasant to
deal with.

The Needle Works
1206 West 38th Street #4102
Austin, Texas 78705
(512) 451-6931
1-800-851-6931

A Good Point
Tarrytown Center
2414A Exposition Blvd
Suite A-1
Austin, TX 78703
(512) 457-8303

I don't know if the above shop is still in business but this was another
shop in the city I've done business with in the past.
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures

escapee wrote:

I believe the shop you refer to is on 38th street, but it specializes in canvas
embroidery (needlepoint). However, they do sell a tremendous amount of fibers.
They are very expensive, and a bit on the uppity side, if you ask me.

Old March 9th 04, 10:28 PM
Annasplace

No, you heard Ginger's shop was delicious. Ginger is a snotty, uppity
person.

Aha! =) Good to know.

This wasn't the case in my experience. I thought everyone in the shop was very
nice AND not only that, when I chose a pattern that required one button and the
button pack had 2 buttons, she opened the pack and sold me just one button. I
thought that was very nice.

Anna