Website Promotion Help

Old December 16th 03, 06:57 PM
Artistic Revolution

Default Website Promotion Help

I am relatively new to site promotion. I have read several different
articles on how to create meta tags and now I am confused. If I sell
handpainted birdhouses, handmade greetingcards, and decorative wood
shelves (my keywords) how do I use them? I mean, should I create a
page for each product line and create keyword phrases for each and
then submit these? And once I create these, what is a good way to get
these words into the content of the page? If someone has a good
example of what I am looking for, please share! Once I get the page
submitable, where is a good place to submit that will get my site up.

Thanks

Todd

www.artisticrevolution.com
Old December 17th 03, 02:17 AM
Pat Kight

Artistic Revolution wrote:

I am relatively new to site promotion. I have read several different
articles on how to create meta tags and now I am confused. If I sell
handpainted birdhouses, handmade greetingcards, and decorative wood
shelves (my keywords) how do I use them? I mean, should I create a
page for each product line and create keyword phrases for each and
then submit these? And once I create these, what is a good way to get
these words into the content of the page? If someone has a good
example of what I am looking for, please share! Once I get the page
submitable, where is a good place to submit that will get my site up.

Thanks

Todd

www.artisticrevolution.com

Make your pages however you like - if you have lots of different items,
then sorting them into pages might be a good idea for the convenience of
your users. But you can use a common set of keyword for your entire site,
encompassing everything you offer. For instance:

META="handpainted birdhouses, handmade greeting cards, decorative wood
shelves, wood crafts, woodwork, folk arts, paper crafts ..." etc. Use as
many legitimate descriptive terms as you can come up with. You may use the
same keywords on all the pages in your site.

Then, in building your pages, use the same terms in your product
descriptions, page titles, etc.

So your birdhouse page might have an HTML title: "Handpainted birdhouses,"
plus a bit of introductory text to the effect of: "I've been making
handpainted birdhouses for X years." And then individual product
descriptions using the same terms: "Hand painted blue birdhouse"
"Handpainted red birdhouse," etc.

The key is to use these words and phrases legitimately. The search engines
are wise to the old tricks of repeating the same keyword over and over in
the META tag, or putting it on the page hundreds of times in type the same
color as the background, and will down-rank your site if they find that
kind of stuff.

The other major factor in getting high search engine rankings -
particularly in Google - is how many other sites link to yours. The best
way to make that happen is plain old legwork - looking for complementary
sites, contacting their Webmasters and proposing link exchanges, letting
your current customers know you have a Web site (and urging them to link to
it if they have sites of their own), etc. Include your URL in every piece
of print promotional material you distribute (you do distribute print
material, don't you?)

There are a ton of craft sales sites out there, and more every day. Many
don't make enough money to pay their Webhosting fees. The ones that do use
tried-and-true business marketing techniques, offer good products, make it
easy to buy and have excellent customer service.

There's no magic to this, just hard work. If you haven't already looked at
it, this is one of the best resources for information about how search
engines work and how to get your site well placed for searches:

http://searchenginewatch.com/

--
Pat Kight

Old December 19th 03, 11:44 AM

Hi
Here is a good site that gives a lot of tips and hints, complete with a
robots.txt checker:
http://www.searchengineworld.com/index.htm
It will give you an insight on how search engines work, so you can optimise
your meta tags, etc.
Best wishes
Richard Horsfield
--
www.kasstzam.com & www.kasstzam.com/photo
--

om...

Old December 27th 03, 04:50 PM
Harriet

"Artistic Revolution" wrote in message
om...
I am relatively new to site promotion. I have read several different

articles on how to create meta tags and now I am confused. If I sell
handpainted birdhouses, handmade greetingcards, and decorative wood shelves
(my keywords) how do I use them? I mean, should I create a page for each
product line and create keyword phrases for each and then submit these?
And once I create these, what is a good way to get these words into the
content of the page? If someone has a good example of what I am looking
for, please share! Once I get the page submitable, where is a good place
to submit that will get my site up. Thanks Todd
www.artisticrevolution.com
It sounds like you are asking two questions: how to use meta tags or how to
be found AND how to set up pages in my website. You can install meta tags
in each and every webpage in your site. I think I put most of my key words
on the home page sheerly out of laziness. One day I decided to use a Search
Engine and search for my own website to see the common ways people out there
would search and if I was found (that's a good project for you too!)
Anyway, I searched for Catskill Pocono and the search results listed the
link to one of my photographs on the 3rd or 4th page of my site (not the
page but the photograph). Which means that Bots are collecting words and
phrases throughout your site, not just the home page or meta tags, keywords
and phrases but all of your pages. All I did was list myself in the Open
Forum. To find the open forum, search for "Website Open Forum" in Google or
askjeeves.com and it should list this site. You can also search for
"Listing Websites For Free" in the same search engines and you should get
all sorts of links to free site listing pages. You can also search for
search engines. Also you can list in a wonderful classified site that I
signed up with. I have a pop-under to it so if you go to my site and then
exit, you will have a traffic site on your screen and sign up for that too.
Why not? it's free. I get some visitors from there also. There are many
things that you can do to get traffic to your site. and now that internet
business is very full with everyone and anyone on the net trying to do
business, it may be necessary to do some print ads and other come ons to get
people to go to your site. Good luck, Harriet Cohen
http://paperandimages.home.att.net

Old December 29th 03, 03:16 AM
Michael Heindel

Harriet,

I own a crafts website www.handmadecatalog.com and I also own a
website for internet development & marketing www.beachbumis.com

Don't bother overloading your meta keyword tag, most search engines
stop after so many characters if any (Google ignores the Keyword tag).
The title tag and description tag should contain your keyword phrase
1 time each. The content of your page should contain your keyword
phrase multiple times (about 2-3% of content word count). Each page
within the site should have different keyword,description & title
tages.

Whatever you do be aware of the rules. Nothing like spending months
of hard work only to find that your site is de-listed because you
broke a rule. Quite a few people found this out last month when
Google revised their search algorithm.

Good work on posting your question to this newsgroup, many
website/business owners don't even know what a newsgroup is.

I can help set-up a marketing plan (Not for Free) for your site. Just
send an email to with the goals for your site
and the areas you need help with.

Take Care,

Michael