protecting my wood table?

Old March 12th 11, 09:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
claudia

Default protecting my wood table?

Hello everyone

Me again with a query.

I have a great dining room table. It's huge and at a nice height. This
table was at a country house we have, and hubby brought it over today.
Terrific for sandwiching!

However, it is wood. And I really don't feel much like sticking pins
into it. So, I am looking for someting that I can put on the table top
when I am putting a quilt sandwich together using pins, that will
protect the surface of the table.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Claudia
Old March 12th 11, 09:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Just for the pinning exercise, could you perhaps cover the table with a
sheet; and then place a large sheet of hardboard to cover the table (or
most of it). hardboard is preferable to ply, as it has a shiny side
which would be great for pinning. It is also heavy, so won't move
around too much (hopefully).
..
In message
,
claudia writes

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old March 12th 11, 11:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Claudia, I pin on my Olfa rotary cutting mats; it's never harmed them. BQ
( before quilting) I had a cardboard folding sort of cutting mat that I used
for pinning and it protected my tabletop. Beneath either, of course, you'll
want to protect the table with something - table cloth, sheet, quiet cloth.
I even top those with a flannel-backed tablecloth. You would think I am
protecting a magnificent antique table. Actually the tabletop in my sewing
room is a hefty sheet of plywood from the days when we had toy electric
trains going. Whatever you use, do be sure it is so soft that it won't
scratch your wonderful table. Polly

"claudia" wrote Hello everyone

Old March 12th 11, 11:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marlys in Indiana[_2_]

Hi, Claudia,
My suggestion would be to get plexiglass the size of the table top. I, too,
wouldn't
want to be sticking pins into a nice wooden table top. Also, put little
felt circles under
the plexiglass so it does not come into direct contact with your wood table
top.
It might be a little cumbersome to handle, but perhaps, hubby could help
with that
part of the process.

Marlys in Indiana

Old March 12th 11, 11:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KT in Mich

Another thought: those cushioned table pads that protect wood table tops.
I had some made for my dining room table and they weren't awfully expensive.
They fold into very manageable sizes (mine about 16 x 32 inches) and are not
heavy. Easy to store when not in use. These things are about 1/2 inch
thick, bottom is a flannel-like material, top is made of a vinyl-like
substance. They would be subject to pin pricks I suppose, but the table
would be protected! And if you didn't want to have them custom-made, a
handyperson could probably make small individual pieces of plywood that
could be glued with a felt on the bottom, maybe a laminate on the top. Mine
are held next to each other by velcro strips on the edges of the boards, so
they don't slip around. Very portable.

Hope this helps!
KT. in MI

Old March 13th 11, 12:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Mar 12, 4:37*pm, claudia wrote:
Hello everyone

Me again with a query.

I have a great dining room table. It's huge and at a nice height. This
table was at a country house we have, and hubby brought it over today.
Terrific for sandwiching!

However, it is wood. And I really don't feel much like sticking pins
into it. So, I am looking for someting that I can put on the table top
when I am putting a quilt sandwich together using pins, that will
protect the surface of the table.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Claudia

What I do is cover the dining room table with a folded painting drop
cloth. Then on top of that I place 4' x 8' x 1/4" piece of plywood.
The drop cloth protects the table top and who cares what happens to
the plywood. It has worked for me for years now, and is easy enough
for one person to handle.
John
Old March 13th 11, 12:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_6_]

NHK TV, On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 13:37:21 -0800 (PST), claudia wrote:

Hello everyone

Me again with a query.

I have a great dining room table. It's huge and at a nice height. This
table was at a country house we have, and hubby brought it over today.
Terrific for sandwiching!

However, it is wood. And I really don't feel much like sticking pins
into it. So, I am looking for someting that I can put on the table top
when I am putting a quilt sandwich together using pins, that will
protect the surface of the table.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Claudia

Hi Claudia,

I use my dining room table from time to time for pinning and cutting
fabric. To protect the table surface, I use one a Cardboard Pattern
Cutting Board that unfold to 36''x60'' and little plastic clamps
(purchased at Lowes) to clamp it to the table. It works great.

-Irene
Old March 13th 11, 01:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jennifer in Ottawa

I use a cardboard folding dressmakers' cutting board which opens up to
60"x36" and is easily stored away when not in use. It is also good
for blocking an item using the grid lines since it is pinneable. I
used it to enlarge the Nativity design for the Navan church quilt
several years ago ... here's a link to purchase:
http://www.amazon.com/Cardboard-Patt.../dp/B000G6DY2Y

It is possibly the most useful item to have in a sewing/quilting
room....jennellh

Old March 13th 11, 07:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
claudia

On 12 mar, 22:37, claudia wrote:
Hello everyone

Me again with a query.

Thank you all for the suggestions. You have all given me plenty to
work with.

Claudia
Old March 13th 11, 10:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

One of those plastic tablecloths ought to work, maybe with a mattress
pad underneath so there's no chance of a pin going through to the
wood. Secure with masking tape.
Roberta in D

wrote:

Hello everyone

Me again with a query.

I have a great dining room table. It's huge and at a nice height. This
table was at a country house we have, and hubby brought it over today.
Terrific for sandwiching!

However, it is wood. And I really don't feel much like sticking pins
into it. So, I am looking for someting that I can put on the table top
when I am putting a quilt sandwich together using pins, that will
protect the surface of the table.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Claudia

FA: 4 Books - WOOD - WOODWORKING - GIFTS - CRAFTS - WOOD WOOD WOOD!! Joyce Marketplace 0 July 12th 05 01:53 PM
Protecting your website's text Kalera Stratton Beads 2 November 16th 04 04:24 AM
Protecting a pattern Laura Yarn 6 November 11th 04 09:03 PM
Protecting a pattern Laura Yarn 0 November 11th 04 07:01 PM
Protecting My Canvas Miss Vikki Australia / Mystery Girl Needlework 9 December 13th 03 05:13 PM