Do SOMETHING new

Old January 9th 11, 01:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Default guitar Do SOMETHING new

I have my maternal grandfather's blackthorn shillelagh he brought with
him from Ireland in 1904, given to me by my mother in 1988.
I have my paternal grandfather's hand tools [drills, screwdriver's,
wood plane, etc] given to me by my father in 1999.

There is nothing from my grandmothers. All our grandparents passed
before any of us were born. I treasure these items.

Ginger in CA

On Jan 8, 11:06*am, "Dr. Zachary Smith"
wrote:
When I started in building school, I received some of my father's
tools, got some more from his father, including a handmade box with
brass corners I used for my drafting tools. *It was a beat-up old
thing, but really cool looking, and I think the envy of a few
classmates. *I used it through my designing years, and still keep my
drafting stuff in it today.

OTOH, I was promised my other grandfather's tools "when he laid them
down" (if you catch his drift) but he was many states away, and you
know how estates can go... *I never got one of his tools, which I
would have loved to have.

I think tools can be as important heirlooms to the males in a family
as jewelry and sewing/quilting stuff can be to the women.

Doc

Old January 9th 11, 03:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

wrote:

When I started in building school, I received some of my father's
tools, got some more from his father, including a handmade box with
brass corners I used for my drafting tools. *It was a beat-up old
thing, but really cool looking, and I think the envy of a few
classmates. *I used it through my designing years, and still keep my
drafting stuff in it today.

OTOH, I was promised my other grandfather's tools "when he laid them
down" (if you catch his drift) but he was many states away, and you
know how estates can go... *I never got one of his tools, which I
would have loved to have.

I think tools can be as important heirlooms to the males in a family
as jewelry and sewing/quilting stuff can be to the women.

Doc- Hide quoted text -

I was fortunate enough to get my g-grandmother's sewing machine
table. My grandmother had it for years and 'refinished' it a couple
of times. I'm in the process of having it restored now.
Unfortunately I have no idea what happened to the machine head which
had been electrified at some point. I know my mother had it at one
point decades ago as I had sewed on it myself. After my grandmother
died and we were picking up the furniture she left to me, my aunt
asked if there was anything else I wanted. That's when I got the
table. Her response was 'that's fine but there's no machine. If you
want a sewing machine I have one you could have.' Told her I already
had my own machine just wanted the table. She claimed to have no clue
what happened to the machine either. She asked why I wanted that with
no machine - obviously she had no clue as to the definition of
'sentimental'.

Kim in snow covered NJ
Old January 9th 11, 10:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

It's actually harder to find good tables. Some of them get converted
to "cute" occasional tables. Others simply wear out, the wooden bits
at least, because wood gets battered more quickly than metal. The good
old machines, as we know, last practically forever with minimal care.
So you could probably locate a machine head of the same type.
Roberta in D

Old January 9th 11, 11:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

wrote:

[...]

Kim in snow covered NJ- Hide quoted text -

I did pick up a 15-91 a couple of months ago. Might have to do some
retrofitting of the surround the fit into the opening...we'll see.
The machine seems to be in pretty good shape. Haven't had much time
to do more than a test run yet. Hopefully we'll get the house
'undecorated' today and then I'll have a bit more room to give it a
good workout. Also recently found out that the person who found a FW
for me for a mere $25, his SO is expecting. Thought I'd do a baby
quilt on the FW for them. Between that, Kate's BOM, my local BOM and
a few other projects, I should be sufficiently busy for a bit.
Old January 9th 11, 02:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

My mother promised me her treadle machine, a White brand with that in
the treadle pedal like Singer has in theirs. My one older sister
appropriated it instead after she passed in '96, and uses it as an
occasional table in her livingroom. It is still a source of bad blood
between us. She doesn't sew, and neither does her daughter.

Ginger in CA

Old January 9th 11, 03:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

John, one thing you might think about is some of the living history/
historical re-creationist groups. Many people in those groups love
having tools they can use, and are part of such organizations because
that is what they like to do.
I know that many people in these groups are not affluent, but love
doing stuff "the old ways" and would enjoy and use your tools.

And one of the purposes of such groups is to keep the old traditions/
styles/methods alive.

Have fun,
Pati, in Phx

On Jan 8, 5:59*pm, John wrote:
I have one nephew, out in California who is involved in the building
trades. He is currently working in Hawaii doing Green Energy Designing
and retrofitting of houses. One of the problems, for me, is that most
of the kids these days want to use all the latest power tools, and
what I have is 2 complete 3' x 4' *tool boxes of Stanley and English
metal planes and other items of that nature, and another box full of
Wooden German style woodworking planes and chisels, and saws. There
is, in effect, a complete 19th century woodworking setup, and very few
people these days are into or interested in doing hand work with these
type of tools. Plus a seven foot long Cabinet Makers Bench made out of
Maple, that I built about 40 years ago. Oh yes, there are the
collectors, who swoon over serial numbers and patina, and pay big
money to acquire them, but they don't sharpen up the blades and hand
saws and get to work with them. They just end up in display cases,
with dust on them. Phooey. I would give these tools to my Nephew, if I
thought he would use them, but I know he would sell them and pocket
the money, as that is his style. So I will continue to use them and
after I die, they will become the problem of the estate executor. and
I won't be around to hear about what happened to them. Unless I come
across some deserving young man, or woman, who takes an interest in
hand made items.
I actually taught a young woman who worked for my wife, in the
publishing industry, to use some of the tools. She used to come over
to our house for dinner a couple of times a week and then we would go
down into the shop. She used that knowledge to make herself a nice bed
frame and was proud as a Peacock when she called us over to see what
she had accomplished. So there you have it. My dilemma.
John

Old January 9th 11, 07:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Jan 8, 5:59*pm, John wrote:

[...]

I am friends with some folks who do that sort of thing. I used to do
Civil War reenactment and I know the wealth of most of those kids. Not
to much to spare, as you say. I might be able to find a home for some
of these things, within that community, or the SCA which does medieval
period things. I have thought about giving them a call to see about
joining with them anyway, so maybe there is an outlet there. I could
sew my wife's costume dresses and my own tradesman costumes, so there
might even be the ability to create some furniture or period items for
sale. Lots of possibilities if you think hard enough.
John
Old January 9th 11, 08:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anna Belle[_2_]

John,
Have you looked into Ohio Village in Columbus? Not sure how well it
is doing now, but in the day it was booming and had lots of school
groups touring. We enjoyed it when we lived in the area.
Anna Belle now in Palm Bay

Old January 9th 11, 11:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Jan 8, 5:59 pm, John wrote:
[...]

It has been de-funded by the state and they have fired all of the
interpreters. It used to be such an interesting place, to experience
all of the bygone lifestyles, but sadly is not the same. There is are
occasional somethings going on there, but no more resident re-
enactors.
John
Old January 10th 11, 01:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anna Belle[_2_]

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 15:50:34 -0800 (PST), John
wrote:

On Jan 9, 3:49*pm, Anna Belle wrote:
John,
Have you looked into Ohio Village in Columbus? *Not sure how well it
is doing now, but in the day it was booming and had lots of school
groups touring. *We enjoyed it when we lived in the area.
Anna Belle now in Palm Bay

It has been de-funded by the state and they have fired all of the
interpreters. It used to be such an interesting place, to experience
all of the bygone lifestyles, but sadly is not the same. There is are
occasional somethings going on there, but no more resident re-
enactors.
John

What a shame. It used to be a great place to visit and take the kids.
Funding seems to be doing in a lot of good stuff. Sorry to hear this.

AB