irons

Old October 25th 04, 02:32 PM
joysjane

Default irons

What is the best suggested iron to use (besides Rowenta). Do you like the
teflon coated plates? Does anyone use and like the little tiny pokey
looking irons?

Old October 25th 04, 02:44 PM
Becky

Yes, I have a Clover Iron, and get a lot of use from it. It is good for
seams and for getting into tiny little spots.

Becky

Old October 25th 04, 03:11 PM
Sherry Starr

I use my little Clover a lot.

Sherry Starr

Old October 25th 04, 04:43 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article ,
"joysjane" wrote:

What is the best suggested iron to use (besides Rowenta). Do you like the
teflon coated plates? Does anyone use and like the little tiny pokey
looking irons?

I have a plain old Black and Decker iron. I believe it does have a
teflon coated plate, but that wasn't a selling point for me. What is
the selling point is NO auto shut off. I like to plug in the iron and
turn it on and sew and press when I need to. I do not want my iron to
shut of and then have to wait for it to re-heat. I think I bought my
last one at Target for under $20 about 5 years ago. Definitely more
price consious than a Rowenta and my arm doesn't get tired from shoving
around a heavy iron and I don't have to cry because the water thing
leaks all over :-) Or so I hear often around here.

I don't have the little iron, but I know lots of quilters who do and
love them especially for classes and workshops and such.

marcella
Old October 25th 04, 04:44 PM
Joan8904

I have a Shark iron from Target. It functions both with and without the cord.
It wasn't expensive and I think it is WONDERFUL!

joan
joan o'reilly
live strong
http://www.rockthevote.com/

Old October 25th 04, 04:52 PM
Laurie G.

I also like the "steam/no steam" option. Some irons have to lower the temp
just to get no steam.

I'm glad you said "besides Rowenta's". For me, never again. I think a steel
soleplate is better than a non stick one. but that wouldn't stop me from
buying it if it had the other features.

Laurie G.

Old October 25th 04, 06:19 PM
Patti

Ah-ha!
I got a new iron just a couple of weeks ago.
I had said to a friend that I wouldn't pay much, and was thinking of
going back to dry only - because of drips amongst other things.
However, when I started looking around to see what was available (I keep
things a long time and so I get out of touch with developments!!) I was
amazed. My last iron - a Teflon plated - was a pain to clean, so I said
no more a Teflon sole plate, even though they are so smooth and glide
over things so well. But, I kept going back to the Tefal Teflon based
one *because* it had a 'self-clean' feature (like ovens), a permanent
no-scale device, and a no-drip device. It has an automatic steam flow
plus an extra steam burst at the press of a button, or a spray of water.
It will work dry also, of course.
It wasn't cheap, and it is quite heavy, but so far I love it. It does
*not* have an auto off (something I didn't want) and it is not cordless.
It also has an extremely long cord, so that I can steam adhere my Hobbs
fusible on the kitchen island without unplugging the iron - the greatest
benefit perhaps.
I use a small travel iron in my sewing room for pressing while
constructing, then I go to the kitchen to steam press when things are
nearing completion. I don't have a Clover iron, as I find my travel
iron small enough.
..
In article , joysjane
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 25th 04, 06:23 PM

Me, too, Marcella. I got tired of the Rowenta leaking and turning off.
The Black and Decker gets good and hot and stays hot. Mine isn't Teflon
coated, though, and I wish it was because when ironing some 'free'
fabrics donated, the iron became blackened by some polys hidden in there
that stuck and smelled horrid. Now I have to clean it. Any suggestions?
Nancycog in MD

Old October 25th 04, 06:44 PM
Sherry Starr

I have had a Black & Decker and a Sunbeam - they both leaked all the time.
The Black & Decker did not get hot enough. I tried every plug in the house,
and it was the same. I bought a Rowenta on sale at Jo-Ann's and I love it.
It doesn't leak, and it gets hot. I like the on/off feature because mine
only takes 15-20 seconds to get hot again. I know lots of people have had
trouble with Rowenta, but I have had mine for about 2 years now and have
never had a problem.
Sherry Starr

Old October 25th 04, 07:27 PM
Pati Cook

I use the Iron-Off hot iron cleaner by Dritz (??). It does work well.

As for Rowentas, I love mine. No leak problem with 2 of them so far. One I
have does leak and it looks like it was seriously dropped at some time (it
was not new when given to me.) So it is a dry iron.
I also have my ex's grandmother's old GE dry iron. nice smoooth soleplate
which is wonderful for fusing stuff, and gets almost toooo hot.

Pati, in Phx