Kiln question

Old July 8th 03, 07:27 PM
Kalera Stratton

Default Kiln question

Arrrgh, I've hardly been able to get on the newsgroup lately, I'm having
withdrawals! (I spend all my free time waiting for the baby to sleep so
I can make beads... I've finally gotten comfortable enough with my torch
to be productive! Yay!)

Anyway, I know this is a subject that gets hashed and rehashed
periodically, and yes, I have seen the recent threads on the Wetcanvas
boards, but I wanted to ask those folks here who have a bead kiln which
kiln they use, what they like about it, what they dislike about it, any
problems they've had, what they wish was different about it, why they
chose it in the first place, whether they would choose the same kiln
again or a different kiln, and why.

I can't afford a new kiln right now, but I am an obsessive comparison
shopper and I MUST buy a bead kiln by the end of the year... using my
top-loading fusing kiln to garage beads is killing my hands and my
energy budget.

Thanks for any input!

--
-Kalera
Mom of Juliet, 5, Sam, 3, and Ophelia, born 5/31/03
See us at www.strattonhome.org
Old July 8th 03, 11:27 PM
Kandice Seeber

I have a Fusebox kiln - similar to the one pictured he

http://www.frantzartglass.com/Itemdesc.asp?CartId={87F1AF7A-0683-444D-AAE5-627666CE107F}&ic=131111&Tp=

I bought mine from Frantz a year or so ago, and the one they have now is the
updated version with the digital controller attached. I have essentially
the same thing, but my digital controller is a seperate unit, and my kiln is
blue instead of grey.

The only thing I don't like about my kiln is that it's not bigger.
Seriously, I have filled it up completely and can fit about 50 beads in
there with the little metal shelf. It is big enough to fuse if you want to.

Frantz has their unit on sale with the digital controller - and it's a
pretty good deal. I think my set was about $150 more when I bought it.

I love the shape of the kiln, and that it fits on the end of my table. The
ebad doors are in front, which makes it very easy to slip beads in without
losing too much heat, and I don't need gloves to touch to doors or the
mandrels. The controller comes pre-programmed, which, if you're making
beads that aren't freaking huge, works just fine for annealing and for
ramping up if you need to. Also, I haven't seen a huge increase in my
electricity bill, so the kiln is pretty energy efficient.

I did have that one fubar with the kiln not too long ago, but found out that
it wasn't the kiln - it was a power outage that lasted only a few seconds.
My hubby has since fixed that with a switch.

I am very happy with my kiln - it has met my needs for the 9 months that I
have been making beads. If you tend to make more than 50 smallish beads
in a session, you may want to step up to a larger size.

Good luck!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

See us at www.strattonhome.org

Old July 9th 03, 12:50 AM
Laurie

My kiln came from Arrow Springs and I love it. No troubles, stablizes easily,
large enough and versatile. Top opens on a hinge for fusing or emptying, but
there's a front door for placing beads inside.If comes with a brick door as
well. It's an AF99. And the best thing? Craig. He stand behind everything
he sells.

Please remember that whatever you buy, you want your element to be encased. No
one wants a fried Kalera on the end of mandrel....

The Use of Foul Language in Written Communication: The Tiny Rumblings of the
Ineffectual and Stunted Thinker. The Inability to Think Beyond The Obivious and
The Crude. ~~~Henry A. Byrne

See us at www.strattonhome.org

Old July 9th 03, 03:04 AM
Nicole @ Black Cat Beads

I know... she has my Ass whooped! I have been making beads for 4 years
now.... SHEEZE!!!

nicole

See us at www.strattonhome.org

--
Nicole
Black Cat Beads

eBay Sto http://www.stores.ebay.com/blackcatbeads

I never met a bead I did not like! : )

Old July 9th 03, 04:07 AM
Kandice Seeber

Well, I took a class about a year ago, then apprenticed with Paulette
for about a month in August. I didn't have my own studio set up to make
beads regularly until November. So, I have been making beads regularly for
about 9 months.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

See us at www.strattonhome.org

Old July 9th 03, 09:40 PM
Dr. Sooz

She is amazing! Isn't she?!?!

You've only been making beads for Nine Months?! I yam impressed.

Kandice

~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Old July 9th 03, 04:12 AM
Kalera Stratton

OK, so collectively you guys have given good reviews to every kiln I'm
looking at!

Actually, you have been very helpful... I think I'm narrowing things
down. I do want a digital controller, but I may build it myself. I'm
currently very torn between buying a less expensive kiln so I can have
it sooner (I'm looking at an AIM or a Jen-Ken) or waiting and getting a
more expensive kiln; the Fusebox or the Arrow Springs. As of this
moment, I'm toward a Jen-Ken with a digital controller, because it's a
good kiln with a solid reputation, and I don't REALLY have time to build
my own, do I? LOL! I'm thinking that having it NOW would be a Very Good
Thing and perhaps even worth my while if I bought another, more
expensive kiln next year. It might even come close to paying for itself
in electrical expenses by then; using a large top-loading kiln to garage
beads is ridiculously wasteful.

I wish that there was a little annealer available for under $300; I'd go
for it, but even the smallest annealers suitable for garaging beads as I
make them is comparable in price to the cheaper fusing/bead kilns!

See us at www.strattonhome.org
Old July 9th 03, 06:54 AM
Cheryl

I wish that there was a little annealer available for under $300; I'd go
for it, but even the smallest annealers suitable for garaging beads as I
make them is comparable in price to the cheaper fusing/bead kilns!

You can use something like this - and this is a GREAT DEAL.
My"annealer" is an older enameling kiln that I modified to use for annealing
beads...
Cheryl of A HREF="http://www.dragonbeads.com" DRAGON BEADS /A
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

Question - Bead Loom Dr. Sooz Beads 72 July 14th 03 01:54 AM
Challenge Question SmartAlecBlonde4 Beads 3 July 6th 03 11:26 PM
Enameling Kiln Tink Beads 6 July 2nd 03 01:01 PM
AD and question: Lampwork on ebay and justbeads Tink Beads 0 July 1st 03 04:29 AM