Absolutely OT and only the Aussies will understand it all

Old February 23rd 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Default Absolutely OT and only the Aussies will understand it all

Facts about Orstray'ya!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The bigger the hat, the smaller the farm.

The shorter the nickname, the more they like you.

Whether it's the opening of Parliament, or the launch of a
new art gallery,
there is no Australian event that cannot be improved by a
sausage sizzle.

If the guy next to you is swearing like a wharfie he's
probably a media
billionaire. Or, on the other hand, he could be a wharfie.

There is no food that cannot be improved by the application
of tomato sauce
(theoretically speaking).

On the beach, all Australians hide their keys and wallets by
placing them
inside their sandshoes. No thief has ever worked this out.

All our best heroes are losers.

The alpha male in any group is he who takes the barbecue
tongs from the
hands of the host and blithely begins turning the snags.

It's not summer until the steering wheel is too hot to hold.

Historians believe the widespread use of the word "mate" can
be traced to
the harsh conditions on the Australian frontier in the late
1800s, and the
development of a code of mutual aid, or "mateship".
Alternatively,
Australians may just be really hopeless with names.

The wise man chooses a partner who is attractive not only to
himself, but
also to the mosquitoes.

If it can't be fixed with pantyhose and fencing wire, then
it's not worth
fixing.

The most popular and widely praised family in any street is
the one that
has the swimming pool.

It's considered better to be 'down on your luck' than 'up
yourself'.

The phrase "we've got a great lifestyle" means everyone in
the family drinks
too much.

If invited to a party, you should take cheap red wine and
then spend all
night drinking the host's beer. (Don't worry, he will have
catered for it).

If there's any sort of free event, or party, within a
hundred kilometres,
you'd be a mug not to go.

The phrase "a simple picnic" is not known. You should take
everything you
own. If you don't need to make three trips back to the car,
then you're not
trying.

The tarred road always ends just after the house of the
local mayor.

On picnics, the esky is always too small, creating a
food-versus-alcohol
battle that can only ever be resolved by leaving the salad
or bread rolls at
home.

When on a country holiday, the neon sign advertising the
motel's pool will
always be slightly larger than the pool itself.

The men are tough, but the women can be tougher.

The chief test of personal strength is one's ability to
install a beach
umbrella in high winds.

There comes a time in every Australian's life when he/she
realises that the
Aerogard is worse than the flies.

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o

Old February 23rd 07, 11:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dee in Oz

How true Cheryl, but just a couple of personal alterations.....

The alpha male in any group is he who takes the barbecue
tongs from the
hands of the host and blithely begins turning the snags.

If Roger is attending it is *always* his job.

If it can't be fixed with pantyhose and fencing wire, then
it's not worth
fixing.

These days it seems to be cable ties and electrical/ gaffa tape.

Dee in Oz

Old February 24th 07, 12:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maloney Empire[_2_]

I totally agree.

--
Di Maloney
Please remove 1 from email address to reply direct.

Old February 24th 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

Thanks, Cheryl, those were great! You know, they would apply quite nicely
to Minnesota, too. Especially the one about a partner who is attractive to
mosquitoes!

I might add that the saying in Minnesota is, "If you can't fix it with
baling wire/twine, duct tape or WD-40, it's not worth owning."

My late, lamented and dearly loved father was a mechanic who worked on all
the cop cars in our home county but never had time to fix his own cars. The
local Hiway Patrolman stopped him once for a taillight that was out, and
when he reached the car he said, "@(#*$^, McCarty, you're a mechanic! Can't
you at least hang a lantern on it?"

Thanks again for the laughs!

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

"CATS" wrote in message
Facts about Orstray'ya!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old February 24th 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 17:05:03 -0600, CATS wrote
(in article ):

On the beach, all Australians hide their keys and wallets by
placing them
inside their sandshoes. No thief has ever worked this out.

Works in "Merica too. Everyone in the Midwest hides their keys in their
shoes.

The alpha male in any group is he who takes the barbecue
tongs from the
hands of the host and blithely begins turning the snags.

I don't know what a "snag" is, but I can understand the alpha male part. In
the midwest its the guy with the tongs turning the brats.

If it can't be fixed with pantyhose and fencing wire, then
it's not worth
fixing.

And here I thought it was duct tape. :-)

The most popular and widely praised family in any street is
the one that
has the swimming pool.

Same here.

The tarred road always ends just after the house of the
local mayor.

The plowed road is always the one the mayor lives on.

The men are tough, but the women can be tougher.

In at least Lake Woebegon, the women are strong, the men are good looking,
and all the children are above-average.

Maureen

Old February 24th 07, 03:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

You only need two items in your tool box -- duct tape and WD-40. If it
moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape. If it should move but doesn't,
use WD-40.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old February 24th 07, 05:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Megan Zurawicz

At least in Oklahoma, the baling wire is to keep its butt from dragging on
the ground. Whatever's butt. (though usually a vehicle muffler....)

--pig

Old February 24th 07, 05:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho

Here on the farm in Idaho, if it can't be fixed with baling twine or duck
tape, it's not worth fixing. That's the first items my DH packs anytime
we're going anyplace!

Donna in Idaho