Sorrento Retreat Report-Amended

Old May 2nd 04, 11:13 PM
shhdesigns

Default Sorrento Retreat Report-Amended

I thought I'd put the beginning of this in my drafts file last night and it
came through to the newsgroup...oops!
So here comes the proper report...

Had a great time at the retreat! Drove up last Sunday in glorious sunny
weather. Last year it snowed on the Coquihalla the night before I left.
By the time I reached the summit [1244 m.] it had pretty much done.

This year I drove about the snow line but there was no snow on the roads! I
got there about 1130 and was able to register and check into my room. It
was the same room as last year, but this year, Deni didn't come along.

I set up in the sewing room and renewed a few old acquaintances. This year
I was taking the I can't believe it's a log cabin class. A curved log
cabin class using straight strips to make your eyes see curves.

The first night they do a welcome wine and cheese and leave you to do what
you want to do.

The next day we started in on the log cabin class with doing the basics,
making a test block on paper foundation and sewing the usual way and see
what works best.

Dianne gave me the more challenging 60 degree block to work on as I was a
bit ahead of some of the others.

Then after everyone checked their blocks she gave us some mini-blocks to cut
up and design our own piece. We moved the black and white blocks around and
then you put a tracing paper piece on top and coloured your piece. If you
didn't like it you just moved the blocks around and then tried something
new, or if you liked the layout and not the colours you just laid another
tracing paper on top and did another colour.

Monday evening we made a trip into Salmon Arm to the LQS called The Sewing
Box. This is lovely little shop, she does door prizes for us and has a
great selection of fabrics. Being a small town, she also has some craft
items that you might not see in other shops.

Tuesday we were hard at work on our blocks and in the evening we had our
show and tell. Several people brought the quilts that we had been taught
last year. I'm machine quilting mine and have almost finished it. I finally
started to work on it in November and had hoped to finish it at this retreat
but forgot the background thread at home!

Wednesday, blocks were flying up on the walls and quilt designs were
starting to take place. Once again my colours were very different from
anyone else in the class. I had brought my black and white collection. On
Saturday when I was packing I had a bit of a melt-down having left too much
to do at home and not enough time. I think I finally started working on my
taxes at about 10 p.m. [remember I'm Canadian and our tax day is April
30th.] As a result I couldn't decided what colours I wanted to take along
with me, so I took none. Thank goodness I found a great yellow fossil fern,
along with a turquoise and pink Bali batik at the Sewing Box.

I did bring along my holiday tinner exchange quilt, thinking I might machine
quilt it, and my Out of Africa round robin for hand quilting.

Wednesday night was our charity quilt night. I had volunteered to
co-ordinate the 2nd week, no one stepped forward for the first week. I had
asked the group to bring 3 yellow and 3 blue strips. We had quality control
check the strips, then they were sewn in pairs, back to quality control.
Then cross cut and sewed into four patches. Back to quality control and
then into 4 patches and then into 8 patches, finally into rows and in the
end we had one quilt that was approximately 60" x 90" and one that was 72" x
90"!

We had one group of 8 patches that I pillowed into a mini-quilt that I named
the "crying quilt". Velda has a great purple dress with a huge patchwork
pocket that she wears for the show and tell and brings all sorts of things
out of it. Thursday morning I announced to our class that after everyone
had gone to bed I had poured myself a glass of red wine and had an accident
and spilled the wine on the two quilts. The only thing not stained was the
"crying quilt". Several people were believing my story until we held up the
finished projects. About 90% of the people had gone to bed by the time the
two tops were finished.

At lunch I told the tale to most of the other class and several believed me
till I burst out laughing at their concern.

Thursday was our power day of sewing. Dianne went over the 60 degree
triangles with the rest of the class and one gal decided to make some
triangles, but in a larger strip size that what the sample snowflake runner
was done. Others tried each of the three designs or not and then stopped
there.

Thursday, Dianne came to me and asked if she could take a picture of my top
when if was finished for a slide show she will be doing when she goes to
Australia. Dianne is originally from Australia and goes down to visit
family and also teach. What an honour, of course I said yes.

Thursday evening I finally had all my blocks on the design wall in the
original placement, which looked alright. I then started playing around
with the blocks and came up with a totally different look which I kept. I
decided that the name of the quilt will be "Colour Storm". We had a storm
come up on Tuesday that came blowing into the open classroom windows. I
jokingly said to people on Friday morning that after everyone went to bed
another wind storm came up and blew my blocks off the wall. Most didn't
know I'd already put the top together.

Friday I did some machine quilting on my Holidays tinner and managed to
finish it off. Thank goodness I thought to bring it along.

After dinner I hung my quilt top back on the wall and we did a walk about
first in the double wedding ring class and then our class. My quilt is an
irregular shape, this is a first for me. I have already figured out how to
hang it with a dowel in the top and then a flat wooden slat farther down.
The final row is also not a full row so it will be a challenge to do some
binding around it.

After everyone had looked at our quilts, Dianne's class came to the front of
the room and we sang a sound about the experience set to the tune of
"She'll be coming around the mountain." Last year we did the same for Jane
when we had done our curved log cabin class. Dianne was very touched and
asked if she could keep the words we wrote.

Friday night everyone packed up, as we leave right after breakfast, we had
our challenge blocks issued for next year. Last year we got a blue Bali
batik with the challenge of heavenly bodies, this year it is a yellow with
musical notes on it. The challenge is Sew...Sew a song, Keep it simple to
last the whole week long. I already have an idea for it, as it is similar
to another challenge I have fabric for but didn't do anything with!

I thoroughly enjoyed this week, so much that I agreed to co-ordinate the
charity quilt for next year and plan a doll by committee that I will design
for everyone to participate in.

Saturday morning, the car got packed and we all went for breakfast.
Good-byes and best wishes, and see you next year were exchanged.

On the way home I stopped in Kamloops to go to Katja's quilt shop. Found
out she is moving in July and got the info where she will be.

Next stop was into Merrit and a quick stop at Coquihalla Threads, which
happens to be for sale.

Then on to Chilliwack for a quick visit to Countryfolk and then to visit my
brother's family. Just two of the children were there. Then to Pauline's
Fabrics which has re-opened in a larger shop before heading back down the
road to home.

I got home by 4 p.m. it took 4 trips to empty the car, as I had stopped for
groceries. It was a busy week, but another great experience. If anyone is
interested in attending, please contact me and I'll give you the dates and
information for next year.

--
Sandi in New Westminster B.C.
Queen of the Travelogues.

Old May 3rd 04, 12:23 AM
DDM

Lovely travelogue, Sandi. I read your first post and it was so short I
thought you must have been terrifically tired from such a great time!
Either that or someone else was trying to fool us by posting under your
name.

Dee in LeRoy, NY

Old May 3rd 04, 02:43 AM
shhdesigns

Thanks Dee, you hit the problem on the nose about being tired. Went out to
dinner with my mom tonight and got my pictures process while we ate, some of
the show and tell was amazing!

Old May 3rd 04, 07:16 AM
Patti

He-he!
I thought exactly the same thing, Dee!
Thanks for the full version, Sandi - sounds wonderful. I well remember
a coach stop I had in Kamloops many years ago, when I was crossing
Canada by (mostly) train. Fantastic country.
..
In article , DDM
writes
Lovely travelogue, Sandi. I read your first post and it was so short I
thought you must have been terrifically tired from such a great time!
Either that or someone else was trying to fool us by posting under your
name.

Dee in LeRoy, NY

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old May 4th 04, 07:14 AM
shhdesigns

Thanks Patti
It is wonderful country around Kamloops but just outside of Sorrento are two
communities of Pritchard and Chase and the mountains on the far side of the
river were terribly burned with the forest fires last year.
In fact they've only had about one day of rain so far this year. Even down
here on the coast we apparently had a very dry April.

--
"Patti" wrote in message
He-he!
I thought exactly the same thing, Dee!
Thanks for the full version, Sandi - sounds wonderful. I well remember
a coach stop I had in Kamloops many years ago, when I was crossing
Canada by (mostly) train. Fantastic country.
.
In article , DDM
writes

Sorrento Retreat shhdesigns Quilting 1 April 27th 04 08:41 PM
Report on my Quilting Retreat Mardi Quilting 6 April 18th 04 02:32 AM
UK retreat report as promised annie Quilting 6 March 16th 04 07:44 PM
Home from retreat Susanne Quilting 3 November 12th 03 07:18 AM
Trick or "RETREAT" - Pittsburgh Polymer Clay Retreat Shayla Anthony Polymer Clay 6 October 20th 03 01:35 AM