Questions for Hug Hostesses

Old August 12th 04, 04:56 AM
Ginger in CA

My goodness! I figured this thread had started days ago, with so many

I have participated in many Hugs, not nearly all the ones I wanted to
due to timing and other things going on. I even got to do a
presentation of a Hug (to Marny). Hugs are a powerful reaffirmation of
human spirit, a reminder to those who give blocks/time/$$ and those
who receive the Hug.

The idea of having a stack of generous 6.5" blocks handy to send off
has always been something I wanted to do, just haven't had time to do
it. Sigh.

If you're new here, if you aren't sure who the recipient is, if you
aren't sure what to do, send along a few $$, or a bit of fabric
anyways. Support doesn't always have to be a block!

My hats off to those who host a Hug, what great work you do! And,
thanks Karen for being the current Hug list guru, taking up where
Dreamweaver left off. BTW has anyone heard from her?

Have a peace-filled/piece-filled day,
Ginger in CA
aka Ink Princess
"Diana Curtis" wrote in message ...
Id like to open a discussion about making Hugs or group quilt projects.
There is nothing more emotional than making a Hug, it has to be one of the
most joyful things we can do with our art. Having participated in a few now,
two as hostess and a few as the quilter, I would like to hear from others
what you found to be the most frustrating parts of the project, what was
most fun, and what would you do differently next time you were called to
host one.
My goal is to help those who might wish to host one avoid or anticipate the
most common problems, and encourage those people who would like to donate
blocks or time to a Hug to feel less shy about doing so.
Diana

Old August 12th 04, 07:02 AM
Pati Cook

Not a hug hostess, maybe will be one day but not now. However, I do have a
suggestion for undersized blocks: (this works best if the maker of the block
realizes the size problem but can also be done by the quilt assembler) Add log
cabin strips around the block. Any block can be added to this way. This is
done with a lot of the blocks in the Jane Stickle quilt and I have also seen
evidence of it in other old quilts. Blocks that weren't quite right had
"borders" sewn around to make them the right size.

As a sometimes sender of hug blocks, I do try to make sure that my blocks are a
bit large, but have points "float" somewhat. That way the hostess can trim the
block to her measurement. I tend to do the same with swap blocks.

Pati, in Phx who thanks all the Hug Hostesses and donors. One of these days I
will be able to send blocks to all the hugs I would like to

frood wrote:

The most frustrating part for me in the past has been undersize blocks. I've
seen some stunning blocks that were too small! The other part is blocks that
are poorly made. Just because this is a great time to try something new
doesn't mean that construction doesn't count! I'm not talking about points
cut off, or mis-matched seams, either. Blocks that don't lay flat, that
don't have enough seam allowance so they don't fall apart or are so
hopelessly un-square that they can't be used.

I also agonize over putting blocks on the back, worried that the sender
might be offended. But, hey! A quilt needs a back and a front, both sides
are equally important.

It is great when folks tell you that blocks are coming, even better if they
mention how many, if sending more than 1.

I don't think I'd do anything differently if hosting a HUG. But I will
participate in donating more HUG blocks. And let the hostess know what's
coming! ;-)

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old August 12th 04, 07:07 AM
Pati Cook

Same here. There are many hugs that I have not been able to participate in
simply because of timing. Life happens to us all, and sometimes it happens all
at once.

I too am glad to see you here black rose. I enjoy your posts.

(Popularity is a sore point for more than a few of us, I have a feeling.
Actually that should be lack of popularity............... ) G

Pati, in Phx

Jan wrote:

Really? Because I find your humor and wit a great asset to the list and I
am glad you are here.

I also agree that allergies play an important part in who ever is hosting
or recieving the hug. And sometimes it does just boil down to bad timing.
I've had to not participate in several hugs over the last year due to
handling my own families needs. That does not mean I didn't think someone
wasn't deserving, it just simply meant I had to put my priorities in place.

I'm glad you are back Black Rose!!

Jan

the black rose wrote in
:

Queen of Squishies wrote:
Yeah, that was a bummer. Not many people knew you guys yet, for one
thing.

Popularity shouldn't have mattered, quite frankly, and the fact that
popularity DOES make a huge difference is the main reason I left the
hug list. I know I'm not precisely liked around here.

Old August 12th 04, 07:12 AM
Pati Cook

I know mine is a pressure change thing. We had a heck of a wind and rain storm
just before I had to go run an executive committee/ board meeting. (my
last........yippee........)

Pati, in Phx.

nana2b wrote:

I can join you in your migraine rant today. I've got a winner here, must be
the change in air pressure.

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old August 12th 04, 01:12 PM
Queen of Squishies

Darn! I thought you were out of town today!
sigh.
Back to the lists, sans chocolate.

Karen, Queen of Squishies
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
* We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar

Old August 12th 04, 01:14 PM
Queen of Squishies

Yer welcome, Ginger. Just send my chocolate to Pat in VA.

Karen, Queen of Squishies
also wondering about Dreamweaver lately
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

Old August 12th 04, 01:31 PM
Maureen Wozniak

Where do you signe the HUG block, on the front or on the back?

Susan Laity Price wrote:

If I have the perfect fabric for the requested theme I usually make
several very simple blocks to send. Am I right in thinking that the
person putting the quilt together would rather have several simple
blocks following the theme than one elaborately pieced block? I sign
only one of the blocks. If I ever send you more than one block and
forget to mention it please don't feel you have to include the extra
blocks. If you don't need them for the HUG put them in something for
yourself or save them for another HUG. The signed block is the
official HUG block.

Thanks to all who take the time to assemble the HUG quilts.

Susan

Old August 12th 04, 01:40 PM
Maureen Wozniak

Sorry about the headache Rose. I know how upsetting they can be.
((HUG)). Now, go get a little nap and choccy if it doesn't trigger your
headaches. I promise you'll feel a lot better.

Maureen

the black rose wrote:
Ellison wrote:

Btw: Anytime someone says "Nobody likes me" on this group, she or
he can
go dig her/his own plate of worms and sit down in the midst of her/his
stash
and eat 'em all by her/his own self.

If I'd said that, I might agree, but I didn't say that, and I don't give
a flying banana if I'm popular or not. All I need in life to be happy
is my family and a few good friends and time to spend with them; if I
cared whether or not I was popular with a group of people I've never
met, I should have my head examined. Admittedly, the observation would
have been better left unsaid, but I have a migraine and I say things I
probably shouldn't when I have a migraine; gee, how rare and unusual,
and nobody else here *ever* says things they shouldn't when they have a
severe headache. (And if you believe that, I've got a bridge for sale.)

Old August 12th 04, 01:56 PM
frood

I did this for one of my hugs, and the fabric I used was a plain square that
someone had sent in. Worked great, and both people contributed to the quilt.
:-)