Store with older fabrics?

Old June 2nd 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default More stash Store with older fabrics?

"Jan" wrote in message
. 125.201...

And I have to say... I saw some stuff
yesterday online that I'm trying to figure out just how would I use it...
because it was cool looking and I haven't seen it locally.... but that's a
whole nother posting thread altogether ;-)

So when has THAT ever stopped us? And where's the link???

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old June 2nd 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Now cool fabric found online what could you do with this... was... More stash Store with older fabrics?

"Jan" wrote in message
. 125.201...
ROTFL... well..... be forewarned... they are Christmas/Santa fabrics vbg
But not usually what you think of.... and I think I'd have a hard time
cutting it into smaller peices... http://tinyurl.com/ncvyb but it's
such
a cool looking fabric that I am thinking on it vbg What would you all
do
with it???

Yes, they are quite cool!

What would I do with it? Seeing as how I don't do Christmas quilts/fabrics,
I'd send them all to you.

Old June 2nd 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Attic windows with Cream/White sills?
Center of big log cabinish blocks with cream/tan/gold logs
Center of an irish chain with the chain being yellows/golds

I'll keep thinkin on it

"Jan" wrote in message
. 125.201...
"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in
. com:

"Jan" wrote in
message . 125.201...
ROTFL... well..... be forewarned... they are Christmas/Santa fabrics
vbg But not usually what you think of.... and I think I'd have a
hard time cutting it into smaller peices... http://tinyurl.com/ncvyb
but it's such
a cool looking fabric that I am thinking on it vbg What would you
all do
with it???

Yes, they are quite cool!

What would I do with it? Seeing as how I don't do Christmas
quilts/fabrics, I'd send them all to you.

Hence the warning... didn't want to offend anyone or push my personal
beliefs.... but it's a cool looking antique in not the usual bright
colors.... so from an artistic and only artistic point of view is the
question coming from. I haven't come up with anything besides placemats
or
table runner..... it's too dark without cutting it up... but I can't
figure
out how I'd cut it up... so.... there ya go....... what has stopped me
vbg

--
Jan
RCTQ Coffee Diva

Old June 2nd 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Store with older fabrics?

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 08:06:49 -0500, Susan Laity Price
wrote:

I subscribed to the "if you see something you like buy lots" theory
for many years. Now I have thousands of yards of fabric. Please do not
be taken in by the "buy it now" mentality. Trust the industry to
continue to print pretty fabric. If you aren't going to use it for ten
years your tastes will have changed anyway. Currently I limit my
purchases to things I hope to get to within the year (OK maybe two
years).

I'm limiting myself to what I need now, plus some lime. I don't have
thousands of yards yet. I don't think I even have hundreds of yards
yet. Small stashes make it easy to see what you have at a glance so
I'm going to try to keep it that way.

Last week I started the red and black scrap quilt on the cover of the
current issue of "American Patchwork and Quilting". The Designer,
Carrie Nelson, said she used 60 reds. Going through my stash I only
found 45 reds but I didn't let that bother me. My quilt is made with
only 45 reds and I think there is plenty of variety.

I bet it looks good too. I'm not willing to be limited by what a
pattern says I should use either. I don't know the quilt pattern you
used, but I'm willing to bet it could be made using less than ten
different fabrics. Using fewer different fabrics in a quilt usually
makes a quilt less busy so you feel calmness when looking at it. I
like a calm looking quilt.

Be reasonable gals. If the average quilt takes 10 yards of fabric we
should not purchase more than 100 yards a year. Completing 10 quilts a
year would be good for the average quilter. Backing would take another
5 yards so you can purchase 150 yards a year. After that much any
fabric purchase just becomes decoration for the shelves in your
studio.

Susan

Ten! I could only dream of getting ten done. I'm doing good if I get
one made per year.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old June 2nd 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 17:11:49 GMT, Jan
wrote:

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in
y.net:

"Jan" wrote in
message . 125.201...

And I have to say... I saw some stuff
yesterday online that I'm trying to figure out just how would I use
it... because it was cool looking and I haven't seen it locally....
but that's a whole nother posting thread altogether ;-)

So when has THAT ever stopped us? And where's the link???

ROTFL... well..... be forewarned... they are Christmas/Santa fabrics vbg
But not usually what you think of.... and I think I'd have a hard time
cutting it into smaller peices... http://tinyurl.com/ncvyb but it's such
a cool looking fabric that I am thinking on it vbg What would you all do
with it???

OMG, those are gorgeous!
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old June 2nd 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 17:58:13 GMT, Jan wrote:

Hence the warning... didn't want to offend anyone or push my personal
beliefs.... but it's a cool looking antique in not the usual bright
colors.... so from an artistic and only artistic point of view is the
question coming from. I haven't come up with anything besides placemats or
table runner..... it's too dark without cutting it up... but I can't figure
out how I'd cut it up... so.... there ya go....... what has stopped me
vbg

Bbbbut they are too pretty to cut!

Still, I have some ideas. You could use very pale blue, silver, navy,
gold, and white fabrics with them. Black might work nicely too.

Fussy cut squares out of the top 3 fabrics and add coordinating strips
around the four sides; or use as the center squares of snowball or
star blocks.

Fussy cut circles out of the top three fabrics and applique them onto
a light colored background.

Use the other fabrics as border strips.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old June 2nd 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default More stash

Howdy!

What fabric did you see yesterday, Jan?
We can help you w/ "how to use it", seriously &/or with fun. ;-D

Someone pointed out the Denyse Schmidt collection,
http://www.dsquilts.com/fabric_fquarter.html
I thought about it for a while, which colors? how much?
isn't some of it just too bizarre even for me?
And then I contacted the D.S. folks, got the price of
shipping, and ordered the fat quarter collection. It arrived this morning
and it's just so tasty! So many pieces, so many colors, funky prints,
and --oh, my, this is FUN! Included is a small matchbook-type
sewing kit, just a needle, bits of thread, etc.--too cute!
and a nice "Thank you" card in a velum envelope which would be perfect
for mailing a delicate quilted postcard...hmmm..more ideas coming thru'. g
It's these surprises, delightful fabric and packaging, that keep me
acquiring more stash.
Jennifer Chiaverini's latest fabric group,
Elm Creek Quilts: The Christmas Quilt Collection
is also available in fat quarter packs (3 of the shops I contacted
immediately offered the fq which had not yet been featured online),
and one shop owner has become a new friend. ;-)
I'll be looking for that collection next week.
http://www.pigpatchfarm.com/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi

Looking at these collections side-by-side, they have almost nothing in
common. VBG But they will go with other fabric in the stash,
some going back almost 20 yrs.. When I do my semi-annual inventory
where I re-organize the fabric that I've rootled thru, I find
treasures I still love, still have plans for, and am not at all surprised
by the way the newer fabric blends in so well with the older.
Like my friends. ;-)

Btw, the latest Quilt Sampler magazine is another delightful issue.
On the cover is a quilt designed by Susan Allen (former RCTQer)
of The Quilt Asylum in McKinney, Texas.
http://thequiltasylum.com/
Quilt shops sell out early but Barnes & Noble stocks it.

Ragmop/Sandy--always surprised by the Baseball Swap squares
that have so few repeats & fabric I hadn't yet seen ;-

On 6/2/06 11:08 AM, in article
01, "Jan"
wrote:

Actually.... I go in stages..... kind of like clothes... now bear with me..
I think fabrics & designers in general go thru "stages" of what's "in"...
and one year I may really just not like much of what I see in stores.... so
say in clothes... I'm short.... and not young.... so wide bell bottom hip
huggers just aren't what I'm going for. I find the same in fabrics.....
one year they may all lean or my LQS may buy only stuff that I'm just not
that in to. Bonus of the lovely online market, I'm not as limited now...
but... still... some days... just not that much. So.... when I find
something I REALLY like, I'll buy it. Now that doesn't mean in a few years
I won't look at it and say... what was I thinking? But usually if I really
like it, that's not the case... not only do I still like it, it's not
usually still in my stash vbg And I have to say... I saw some stuff

Old June 2nd 06, 10:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Now cool fabric found online what could you do with this... was...

Oh Evil Evil Enabler! I don't usually *do* Christmas quilts because I
just don't like red and green together. But those lovely toiles! Yum.
Yes. I could do something with those. Maybe put them into Star Bellies,
ala Alex Anderson? Light blue and silver and white star points. Maybe a
teeny inside border or piping in some zinger like yellow or gold? Where
did I put my credit card ...

Anne in CA
annerudolph AT comcast DOT net
Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, fact, or tact are transmission errors.
http://community.webshots.com/user/annerudolph3
http://www.frappr.com/rctq
http://annerudolph.home.comcast.net/anne.htm

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in

Old June 3rd 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Jan wrote:
Debra wrote in
:

[...]

Hmmmmmm great ideas!! Thanks!! I really like it.. but I'm not a
placemat kind of gal... I have a granite outdoor table sitting in the
dining area vbg So I need quilting ideas......

I won't be much help - but I would probably use that in a quilt that I
have seen in the book "sweet and Simple Baby Quilts" by Mary
Hickey...There are big octagons of toile in the center and then small
points sort of making a star...gosh it's hard to explain - but I LOVE
the quilt - I just have never found toile that I have liked enough to
make it...

Roberta (in VA)
Old June 3rd 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Roberta wrote:
Jan wrote:
Debra wrote in
:

See my quilts at http://community.webshots.com/user/debplayshere

Hmmmmmm great ideas!! Thanks!! I really like it.. but I'm not a
placemat kind of gal... I have a granite outdoor table sitting in the
dining area vbg So I need quilting ideas......

I won't be much help - but I would probably use that in a quilt that I
have seen in the book "sweet and Simple Baby Quilts" by Mary
Hickey...There are big octagons of toile in the center and then small
points sort of making a star...gosh it's hard to explain - but I LOVE
the quilt - I just have never found toile that I have liked enough to
make it...

Roberta (in VA)

Replying to myself here - an example (though not an easy picture to see)
can be found here...

http://www.elmcreek.net/quilts.html

Look at Katie's friends...that's what I mean

Roberta (in VA)