A wonderful book on the spiritual power of beads

Old August 6th 03, 03:11 PM
Sjpolyclay

uspect this
might be the most important thing I can offer my friend - the chance to
just be together working to make our prayer bead strands.

what a lovely idea!
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

view my auctions at:
http://www.polyclay.com/Collage/auction.htm

Old August 6th 03, 03:16 PM
mkahogan

You're a good friend. She is lucky to have you in her life.
KathyH
"S. B." wrote in message
news:060820030756295682%burcott@backoffshawspammer s.ca...
There has been some discussion here lately about beading being good for
the soul. I found an amazing little book last week that has me
inspired. It's called "A String and a Prayer" and talks about using
beads in personalized prayer bead strings are central parts of personal
spiritual practice. The stories of the two women who wrote it really
resonate with me.

I'm going to start making myself a strand of prayer beads today, along
with my dear friend who has had some serious heartache this summer over
a child of her heart but not her blood who she's losing. I suspect this

--
Check out my JustBeads auctions at:
http://www.justbeads.com/search/ql.cfm?s=65191

Old August 6th 03, 03:20 PM
laura

Default A wonderful book on the spiritual power of beads

This is terrific-- I have a friend who has asked me last week if I can make
prayer bead strands for him to sell, and the idea really appeals to me.

I have meditated with beads myself, but I don't use any "props" at all these
days in my silent meditation, as I find it all somewhat distracting.
However, the idea of making something that will be used by others in this
way seems very attractive. I bet this activity will be very healing for
your friend and will bring the two of you closer.

Does this book give instruction for making various types of rosaries?

Laura

Old August 6th 03, 03:34 PM
Arondelle

S. B. wrote:

Hi Laura - the book has some ideas for various kinds of prayer beads,
rosaries and others (prayer beads being a part of many different
religions practices), but the key idea is making something that is
completely personal and imbued with meaning. One can make these for
others, but I suspect that the most powerful will always be those that
we choose components for and make ourselves. My friend is a new beader
- I started her on the path last summer by giving her a whole bunch of
my lampwork beads to play with, and she's told me that working with
beads has been an important part of her coping through some tough times
this year. We'll probably add some PMC pieces we make over the next few
days, and anything else that just seems like it needs to be part of our
particular prayer bead strands.

When I first got my healing group together back in January, our first
activity was to make strands of prayer beads. I got my inspiration to
do this from A String And A Prayer. Most of my friends are not crafty
persons, but they all enjoyed the challenge, and were pleased with the
results. They all now use their prayer beads in their practices.

Arondelle
"Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is
better than not to think at all." - Hypatia of Alexandria

"People who believe they have all the answers have stopped
asking questions." - Marx Stead of Canton, OH
Visit Arondelle's Dream Worlds at: http://www.arondelle.com
Read my Blog: http://www.angelfire.com/blog/arondelle/index.html
Shop my sto http://www.cafepress.com/arondelle3

Old August 6th 03, 03:49 PM
laura

"S. B." wrote in message
news:060820030822020185%burcott@backoffshawspammer s.ca...
In article , "laura"
wrote:

[...]

I suspect you're right I didn't mean to suggest otherwise, and I'm very
sorry if it came across as though I did. I didn't mean to say that using
them or not using them is right or wrong but in reading again what I just
wrote I can see how it may have seemed as though that's what I was saying

I've used prayer beads many times in my meditation practice but I just don't
use them now- it worked for me then and it may work for me again in the
future.

My friend is a new beader
- I started her on the path last summer by giving her a whole bunch of
my lampwork beads to play with, and she's told me that working with
beads has been an important part of her coping through some tough times
this year.

This is a wonderful gift that you've given her, then!

We'll probably add some PMC pieces we make over the next few
days, and anything else that just seems like it needs to be part of our
particular prayer bead strands.

That sounds like a nice and thoughtful way to help your friend. Thanks for
your reply and I apologize for sounding as though I was denigrating your
gift.

Laura

Old August 6th 03, 06:37 PM
Dr. Sooz

A String and a Prayer, by Eleanor Wiley, Maggie Oman Shannon
http://myturl.com/0007c
~~
Sooz
-------
"Selective deafness, it's a wonderful thing." ~Kathy N-V
ESBC
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
~ Bead Notes: Beading information A - Z
http://www.lampwork.net/beadnotes.html

Old August 6th 03, 07:17 PM
Christina Peterson

Part of the course for achieving Reiki II level included a 14 day
meditation, using a bead to focus on each day, the stringing it.

Tina

Old August 6th 03, 09:16 PM
Deirdre S.

This resonates with me. I got started beading by creating a mala
(Buddhist prayer beads) and discovering that the beading process
itself was even more calming and centering than using the beads once
the mala was done. Which isn't to say that using prayer beads isn't
calming and centering in itself, just that I got lots of satisfaction
out of creating.

When it come to the question "How does this work?" I believe that
physical artifacts that are infused with symbolism connected to one's
spiritual path can be amazingly potent. They kind of 'anchor' positive
states for you, and open the door to those states quickly because you
have associated them with the object(s). Kind of a positive form of
conditioning. Like feeling instantly secure when you smell something
associated with a happy time or a state of strength or contentment.

Deirdre

Old August 6th 03, 09:22 PM
Deirdre S.

This sounds like a wonderfully healing, strengthening process. Good
wishes to both of you.

Deirdre

Old August 6th 03, 10:34 PM
Kaytee

In article , "laura"
writes:

Does this book give instruction for making various types of rosaries?

Cheryl has links to Catholic rosary instructions on her website
(www.dragonbeads.com).
Quite awhile ago, I posted instructions for Buddhist ones-- Sooz may have them
in one of her "infamous" lists. And one of the bead magazines (B&B or BW) had
an article on prayer beads from several religious traditions a couple of years
ago.
Hindu ones should be "loose" on the string, and "slip" around easily (mala=
garland).
Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com