Pressing and Cutting Paradigm Shift needed

Old July 29th 03, 09:50 PM
frood

Default Pressing and Cutting Paradigm Shift needed

I need to fundamentally change the way I prepare fabric for cutting. My
current system is time-consuming, and keeps me from doing mass cutting at a
time.

Currently, I:
- Gather the fabric to be cut
- Press it, one or two pieces together if they are the same size
- Lay it over the half-wall in the bathroom (my pressing area) or on my bed
(for large pieces)
- Take the pieces to the dining room for cutting

The problem is, if I want to do a lot of cutting (like I have this mad hair
about cutting strips from each of my fabrics), I don't have enough time to
do all the ironing at once, then do all the cutting. If I just do enough
ironing to match the amount of time I have for cutting, (say I have 30
minutes {well, just pretend!} I can spend 15 minutes pressing, and 15
cutting) this does not get much done.

I cannot think of a way to store the fabric after it is pressed to keep it
wrinkle free enough to cut it another day.

I'm looking for ideas here. How do you do this? Press and cut as you go?
Devote an entire day for it? (in my dreams!) Have a QI-free sanctuary for
pressed fabric?

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old July 29th 03, 10:22 PM
Kathy in CA

I just wash, iron, fold and put away and maybe cut the next day. I seldom
cut the same day I have the fabric pressed and I never cut ALL the pieces at
the same time anyway. Most of the things I have made are sampler type and
each block had different sized pieces. The few I have made that are all the
same size shape, I cut enough for a row or two then sew and cut some more as
I dont want to cut more than I can use.
--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff:

.com...

Old July 29th 03, 10:30 PM
Lisa Ellis

You need to cut fabric in the same place you press the fabric. It is to time
consuming to carry the fabric from one location to another. Also, then you
can press and cut as you go.

My method: pile fabric collection on sewing room floor around the ironing
board. Kick cat off ironing board, blow cat hairs off ironing board, press
1st piece of fabric, cut quilt piece - ironing board acts as cutting table
-this works for all but borders. Kick cat off pile of fabric, pick second
fabric, shake cat hairs off, kick cat off ironing board, etc., etc.

I can't imagine having a cat free area. Tuxedo would claw down the door to
the sewing room, while Tigger would get mad and spray something, just to let
me know he shouldn't be excluded. :-)

lisae

Old July 29th 03, 11:09 PM
Lisa Ellis

I didn't really think about Giles and Spike . . .

When my ds was younger, I used the same system, although I always unplugged the
iron when I was done. I guess I was lucky because he wasn't too wild. . .
although once, he cut open a newly finished quilt too see what was inside. I
was livid, and told his father to take him for a walk so I could yell to my
hearts content. I never left scissors lying around after that.

lisae, who has learned how to repair quilts. . .

frood wrote:

Unfortunately, the bathroom must remain the pressing area. I can lock the
door to keep out rampaging toddlers, and put away the iron as soon as I'm
finished. The bathroom is not big enough to cut in, and my big table is just
perfect for my big mat. It only takes about 10 seconds to get from one place
to the other - the house is big, but not that big!

--
Wendy, whose QIs are of the 2-legged variety

Old July 29th 03, 11:09 PM
taria

I don't have a problem cutting fabric that has been pressed
some time before. I am wondering if the humidity might be
what wrinkles your fabric? Is it stacked so that there is a large
amount and it weighs on itself? Martha Stewart has a neat
pull down inside laundry line that would be great for temporarily
storing fabric over a sewing area:
http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jh...961&site=&rsc=
HTH, Taria

frood wrote:

[...]

Please visit my web page at: http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/taria/index.htm

See my Siberian Cat, Lilly, at:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/lillypage/lillycat.htm

Old July 29th 03, 11:51 PM
Kathy in CA

Actually I just fold it in half, then in half again and so on until small
enough to fold the other way (to make it sq). When I get ready to cut I just
smooth it out a liitle by hand. I cut off a little off the width to make it
even but the next time I cut the same fabric I just smooth it out by hand
and match the edges up.
--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff:
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/kathys1068

.com...

"Kathy in CA" wrote in message
I just wash, iron, fold and put away and maybe cut the next day. I

seldom
cut the same day I have the fabric pressed and I never cut ALL the

pieces
at
the same time anyway. Most of the things I have made are sampler type

and
each block had different sized pieces. The few I have made that are all

the
same size shape, I cut enough for a row or two then sew and cut some

more
as
I dont want to cut more than I can use.
--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff:
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/kathys1068

.com...

Old July 29th 03, 11:54 PM
Kate Dicey

frood wrote:

[...]

Skirt hangers with peg tops are great for hanging pressed fabric.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Old July 30th 03, 12:30 AM
Dannielle Beitzell

Just a thought, but if you press a piece and then cut off what you need at
that moment, but you don't want to fold it again, do you have a large wall
that you can somehow attach it to so that it won't get those nasty fold
marks? Is there a spare bed that you can leave it lay out or do one fold
over (much faster to iron than 20 of the dang things)? Heck, I'd even try
to fold it around a pillow to help reduce those creases....

Can you tell that I have a crease problem too? I haven't tried any of these
yet....so let me know if anything works! ;-)

--
Dannielle from NY
http://www.beitzell.com/dannielle/index.htm

.com...

Old July 30th 03, 02:29 AM
Judy Grevenites

Try hanging the pressed fabric in the closet on trouser hangers--or any
hanger with a padding on it . It will just hang around, looking smart
and pressed until you need it. RedQueen, hanging around herself! (but
not so neatly)