Polly's gators

Old June 23rd 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default recycled phone numbers, was Polly's gators

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 15:22:06 GMT, "Kathy Applebaum"
wrote:

"Hanne Gottliebsen" wrote in message

One of my apartments was one digit off for WalMart Service Desk in our
town. You can't convince someone they've dialed the wrong number when
they have a serious beef with Waly World over something. But at least
they don't call at 4 a.m.

-georg

My current home number is one digit off for the inpatient number for the
local psychiatric ward... I don't get many calls, but enough for me to go
look up what this "Margaret Centre" was.

When I was a kid, our phone number was one digit off from the local "massage
parlor" (not the legitimate kind). Luckily their "clients" never called late
at night, but they were invariably drunk, and drunk, horny guys don't take
kindly to being told they had dialed the wrong number.

The police finally raided the joint and shut it down, so the calls tapered
off. But to this day I can still tell you what their number was, having
given out the correct number so many times. I feel sorry for anyone who
later got that number. ;-)

The local numbers here almost all start similarly, so you could have 5
numbers that are identical save for the third number. ie. 123-4567,
124-4567, 125-4567, 126-4567, 127-4567
I have been getting wrong numbers looking for Debbie for at least 10
years. Her number is the same as mine, but her third phone digit is
three, mine is four.
The more major issue with haveing my phone number is I very often get
calls for one of the group homes for the developmentally disabled.
Their number is the same as mine except their third phone digit is a
seven. Sometimes it is somebody calling on buisness, sometimes it is a
reletive calling, but more often it is a resident calling for a ride
home from a day trip. Usually I can just tell them they mis-dialed
the third number, sometimes I have to tell them the whole seven digit
number they should call, and if it is Bob or Emory I get his location
and call the home myself and tell them he is ready to come back.

NightMist
--
The wolf that understands fire has much to eat.

Old June 23rd 06, 07:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

guess I'd rather deal with a fax beep than a drunk guy at that hour :-)

Anne in CA
annerudolph AT comcast DOT net
Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, fact, or tact are transmission errors.
http://community.webshots.com/user/annerudolph3
http://www.frappr.com/rctq
http://annerudolph.home.comcast.net/anne.htm

Jessamy wrote:
that is a pain Anne!

I am one or 2 digit(s) off from 3 job centres (phone calls during the day)
and 2 kebab places (phone calls up to 2 am) - try telling a drunk guy that
no they can't order a doner from you - and that using the redial button
doesn't get them to the doner place after all

Old June 23rd 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Polly's gators

Polly,
That was really something. I thought somebody fixed the Gator that way but
it was true!!

Did anybody see JayLeno the other night with the bears??? This one bear was
so funny with him!!

Pami

Old June 23rd 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Polly's gators, LONG

That sound like the call I rec'd this morning a gal asking for donations for
the police department. They talk so fast and sound so reheased you can't
interupt them. Anyhow she finishes her speech. I told her I was sick with
cancer right now and she still went on and on. I finally asked her......
what part of the English she didn't understand? Next I heard...in a snotty
voice...Have a nice Day....click I don't ever trust giving money to
agencies like that. If I want to donate money to my police I will drive it
up there. I think lots of them are scams
pami.

Old June 23rd 06, 08:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

oh my Pami! how heartless!

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Old June 23rd 06, 09:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I saw an investigation of (supposed) police department telephone
solicitation. It seems that the law only requires those buzzards to turn 3%
of their collections over to law enforcement. And she wouldn't have cared
if you told her you'd been bitten by a rabid bat and was foaming at the
mouth. If you have a sturdy phone, feel free to slam it down on her. Then,
.. . . smile. Polly

Old June 23rd 06, 09:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

*good grief* Jan!

makes my family look like saints!

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands
Take out: so much quilting to reply.
Time to accept, time to grow, time to take things slow
www.geocities.com/jess_ayad
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jes...pson/my_photos
Vent away!! DH's family actually wanted to know if he had left me when he
called to say DD was born, when he said no, they said don't call again
unless you leave your wife. What a nice choice to make and obviously
orchestrated to happen in conjunction with the birth of our child.... ugly
people. That's the nicest thing I can say of his siblings. I may have my
moments..... but that kind of behavior would have never crossed my mind.
Sending big hugs!! You love on that baby!! She is a precious gift!

--
Jan
RCTQ Coffee Diva

Old June 23rd 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article ,
"pami" wrote:

Polly,
That was really something. I thought somebody fixed the Gator that way but
it was true!!

Did anybody see JayLeno the other night with the bears??? This one bear was
so funny with him!!

Pami

I saw that! LOL! The bear was practically eating Jay's face!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old June 23rd 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article ,
"nana2b" wrote:

Taria, I only have one sibling, a sister. She is a miserable individual and
a b***h to boot. I called her when Norah (first great child for our parents
and our first granchild was born) was 10 minutes old to share my joy. Norah
is now almost 3 weeks old and I have not had one call or any communication
from her. I have sent e-mail with photos and have gotten no response. On
level, I am done with her. She is the kind of person who is "What have you
done for me lately?" or I need your support now so I will "let you in". I
am lucky to have caring friends where I live and children near me to share
the joy. She is the one that is missing out. One of my kids said she is
jealous. How sad not to rejoice in the birth of a baby. Thanks for
letting my vent.

Linda in Tx

Linda, you have my sympathy. I have a great sister, though we live too
far apart to do much together except video chat G. But our mother is a
different story. She told me at one point that the Bible says to honor
your father and mother but that not a word is said about honoring your
spouse, so I was supposed to ignore him (she'd have preferred me to
divorce him) and jump to her tune. She has also hated my children since
birth -- probably because she was jealous of the time I spent with them
instead of with her. She stole a significant amount of money from me,
and I could go on and on. She puts on a great act with people outside of
the family. We haven't spoken in years. There's a certain sense of
freedom when you cut someone so poisonous out of your life.