Directory question - format

Old March 27th 04, 01:09 PM
AliceW

Default Directory question - format

I have received the directory! Yippee! Thanks so much to LN and Sandy for
doing this, I know what kind of work goes into maintaining a directory. The
last time the directory was updated, someone converted it to an Excel
spreadsheet. I can't remember who that was, but I was wondering if that was
going to be done with this version. I would be glad to help if directions
are provided. Thanks!

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
www.ourcyberfamily.us

Old March 27th 04, 03:52 PM
Queen of Squishies

Many, many thanks from me as well, for all your excellent hard work on this.
Much appreciated! About Excel - I too would love to have it in Excel
format, if anyone knows how to do this other than the print-it-and-type-it
option. I don't want it that bad! LOL

Karen, Queen of Squishies
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
* We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar

Old March 27th 04, 04:14 PM
Shirley.Caylor

I'm new to the group so I didn't receive a copy of your directory but I can
tell you that importing a file into Excel is a simple procedure depending on
the type of file you have. For instance, the following is for a text file.

Import a text file
1.. Click the cell where you want to put the data from the text file.
(Usually A1)
To ensure that the external data does not replace existing data, make sure
that the worksheet has no data below or to the right of the cell you click.

2.. On the Data menu, point to Import External Data, and then click Import
Data.
3.. In the Files of type box, click Text Files.
4.. In the Look in list, locate and double-click the text file you want to
import as an external data range.
5.. To specify how you want to divide the text into columns, follow the
instructions in the Text Import Wizard, and then click Finish.
6.. In the Import Data dialog box, click Properties to set formatting and
layout options for the imported data.
7.. In the Import Data dialog box, do one of the following:
a.. To return the data to the location you selected, click Existing
worksheet, and then click OK.

b.. To return the data to a new worksheet, click New worksheet, and then
click OK. Microsoft Excel adds a new worksheet to your workbook and
automatically puts the external data range in the upper-left corner of the
new worksheet.

Hope this helps you. I'll be glad to help any way I can.

Shirley Caylor

By the way, what is a squishie? I've seen it mentioned several times and
don't know what it is.

SYC

ink.net...

Old March 27th 04, 04:25 PM
Louise

Shirley,

A squishie is a package received in the mail -- usually fabric, which makes
the package "squishie." The best ones are, IMHO, a surprise to the
recipient. And the amazing thing is that they often arrive on a day when the
person receiving really needs a lift.
--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old March 27th 04, 05:51 PM
Ann

Thanks so much for the Directory gals !!!!!
I've converted it to Excel. About the first thing I did. Plus fine tuned
it a bit in lining it up in the cells etc. Due to my orderly nature in
things like this.
If you are in the Directory and would like an Excel copy please feel free to
email and ask me and I'll get you off a copy. Please make it subject line
appropriate though as I dump things I don't recognize without opening.

Ann
darcyh @ telusplanet.net
(take out the spaces to email)

Old March 27th 04, 06:38 PM
Elizabeth Young

AliceW wrote:

The
last time the directory was updated, someone converted it to an Excel
spreadsheet. I can't remember who that was, but I was wondering if

that was
going to be done with this version. I would be glad to help if

directions
are provided. Thanks!

This is a total kludge way of doing it, but this is how I converted it
to an Excel-importable file. I'm sure someone more clever than I could
write a nifty little program to convert the file...

These directions are for Word

Before you do anything, save a separate copy of the file, just in case
you make a total hash of it!

The short directions:
#1 Make each person's entry into one block.
#2 Replace all returns with tabs
#3 Replace all double tabs with a single return
#4 Save as text-only file
#5 Import into Excel as a tab-delimited file
#6 You'll have to mess about a bit to take care of people with multiple
email addresses.

The long form
#1 make each entry one block, separated by double returns (this is the
time-intensive part)

Example:

screen name
name
street address
city state zip
country

email

birthday
favorites
dislike

This is an entry for one person. You have to take out the extra spaces
between country/email and email/birthday.
Make it look like this:

screen name
name
street address
city state zip
country
email
birthday
favorites
dislike

It helps if you turn on the feature that shows you the hidden characters
Click on the icon on your standard toolbar that looks like a backwards P
Now you can see the tabs and returns

Ctrl+z undoes what you just did if you goof and remove the wrong line
from the file.
Don't forget to save sometimes!

Replace all the hard returns with tabs, and then all double tabs with
hard returns
ctrl+h brings up the search and replace box.
enter ^p in the first field
enter ^t in the second
click replace all

Replace all the double tabs with hard returns
ctrl+h brings up the search and replace box.
enter ^t^t in the first field
enter ^p in the second
click replace all

Now you should have a file where each person's info is in one blob full
of tabs, separated by hard returns
like this:
screen name name street address city state zip country email birthday
favorites dislike

Save as .txt only file.
Close

Open Excel, and go to Data/get external data/Import text file
Excel should recognize your data as tab-delimited
Go ahead and click through the boxes until you get to 'finish'
If it looks good, save it!

A few people have multiple email addys
Insert a column between email and birthday, then sort by the very last
field (the first entries will be blank).

This will bring all the entries with second emails to the top.
Highlight the cells in the blank column (there are 3, unless I messed
up) and then edit/delete/shift cells left to

get all the entries in the right place

liz young in sunny california
Old March 27th 04, 06:43 PM
Elizabeth Young

CORRECTION
open the file as an excel file, do not import the file as external data
(OOPS)

liz young

#1 Make each person's entry into one block.
#2 Replace all returns with tabs
#3 Replace all double tabs with a single return
#4 Save as text-only file
#5 Import into Excel as a tab-delimited file
#6 You'll have to mess about a bit to take care of people with multiple
email addresses.

The long form
#1 make each entry one block, separated by double returns (this is the
time-intensive part)

Old March 27th 04, 06:56 PM
AliceW

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this!

--

"Elizabeth Young" wrote in message
: AliceW wrote:
:
[...]
: #1 Make each person's entry into one block.
: #2 Replace all returns with tabs
: #3 Replace all double tabs with a single return
: #4 Save as text-only file
: #5 Import into Excel as a tab-delimited file
: #6 You'll have to mess about a bit to take care of people with multiple
: email addresses.
:
: The long form
: #1 make each entry one block, separated by double returns (this is the
: time-intensive part)
:
: Example:
:
: screen name
: name
: street address
: city state zip
: country
:
: email
:
: birthday
: favorites
: dislike
:
[...]
: enter ^t^t in the first field
: enter ^p in the second
: click replace all
:
: Now you should have a file where each person's info is in one blob full
: of tabs, separated by hard returns
: like this:
: screen name name street address city state zip country email birthday
: favorites dislike
:
: #4
: Save as .txt only file.
: Close
:
: #5

Old March 27th 04, 07:09 PM
Louise

My directory came in spreadsheet format. All I had to do was copy and paste
it into a blank Excel doc. I'll be glad to share it! Just let me know if you
want it.

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

#1 Make each person's entry into one block.
#2 Replace all returns with tabs
#3 Replace all double tabs with a single return
#4 Save as text-only file
#5 Import into Excel as a tab-delimited file
#6 You'll have to mess about a bit to take care of people with multiple
email addresses.

The long form
#1 make each entry one block, separated by double returns (this is the
time-intensive part)