Jump Ring Quilt

Old February 6th 17, 05:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Default Jump Ring Quilt

If you go to Missouri Star Quilt Company and then scroll down to You Tube, then ask to see Jump Ring Quilt it will take you to the tutorial. Just follow the directions and watch Jenny.
Question for Brian not quilt related. How hard is it to set up your Kindle to read books as I am thinking of getting one or buying another sewing machine? What procedures did you use?
Sandy$
Old February 7th 17, 01:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Brian Christiansen

On 02/06/2017 09:06 AM, wrote:
If you go to Missouri Star Quilt Company and then scroll down to You Tube, then ask to see Jump Ring Quilt it will take you to the tutorial. Just follow the directions and watch Jenny.
Question for Brian not quilt related. How hard is it to set up your Kindle to read books as I am thinking of getting one or buying another sewing machine? What procedures did you use?
Sandy$

I like both Jenny's and Rob Appell's (man sewing) tutorials, so I might
try and find the one you are talking about.

As for setting up a kindle for reading, I didn't really do anything
except take it out of the box and plug it in to make sure it was fully
charged.

Books for the kindle come in 3 formats:

1 .mobi, which is amazon's proprietary format.

2 .html, which is mostly for accessing web pages, but an e-book could
be in that format.

3 .pdf, which is a universal format for e-books (in fact pdf stands
for "portable document format")

A kindle comes set up to read all 3 of those formats, though for PDF,
the PDF reader from Adobe, the company that actually developed the .pdf
format, is better than the one that comes on a kindle.

If you buy a book from Amazon, all of them (or at least all the ones I
have seen) are offered in their proprietary format(.mobi), so all you
need to do is access the Amazon site and buy the book.

For online books from other free sources (such as Gutenburg.com) the
books are almost always in at least one (usually all three) formats. To
get them all I did was simply download them to my Kindle.

Books from the Barnes and Noble bookstore come in another file format,
and I am not certain if that file format is supported by a Kindle, so
some sort of app may need to be installed if you want to get books from
them, but as I have never purchased a book from there, I am not certain.

As for other online bookstores, I have not bought books from them, but
based on the small amount of "research" I have done, I am pretty certain
that they offer their book in one or more of the formats I described.

For example, I am simultaneously reading 4 books right now, one for
pleasure, and the other 3 for "research," or at least to increase my
personal understanding of some things.

The "escapist literature" book I am reading is book #13 from the "Wheel
of Time" series by Robert Jordan, and I got that from Amazon, it is in
..mobi, or Amazon's format.

The first of my "informational" books that I am reading is the NIV, and
what I am using is the bilica.com app for that, but I could read it
directly by going to their site. I think they make at least some
translations available for offline reading.

The second of my "informational" books is Darwins "Origin of Species,"
which I got in off of gutenburg.org in .mobi format, but I think it is
also available in the .pdf format as well.

The third is the talk origins archive, which isn't really a book, but I
think it would have as much content as a book (or perhaps even several)
it it were printed out, and I am reading that by going to their site and
using a html-reader like Silk that comes built in to the Kindle, though
I could use others as well. There also might be an edition somewhere
that is available for off-line reading.

I can also read online magazines/newspapers such as reader's digest or
USA Today on it as well.

I also think most libraries offer books in electronic format as well.

As for which model of Kindle to get (there are several available),
probably the best thing is to to to Amazon and read up on it there, but
my recommendation is that if you are going to use it for just reading,
get either a basic kindle or a paperwihite.

If you want something that you can put various apps, such as a corssword
puzzle, diary, or scheduler app on it, or access social media, I would
recommend an actual tablet computer such as a Kindle Fire, or even going
up to an Ipad Mini, if you have the money, of course. Here is an
article about which one might be better for you:
http://ebookfriendly.com/tablet-or-e...questionnaire/

I don't know if that is perhaps either too long-winded or technical, but
the short answer is that, except in some special cases, all that needs
to be done is to take the Kindle out of the box and plug it in to make
sure it is fully charged.

As for getting content for it, that can be obtained at a lot of places:
Amazon, other online bookstores, some public liraries, sites like
Gutenburg.org, talk origins or biblica.com.

Apps that are "better" than what comes built into the Kindle can also be
installed, for example the app for .pdf files.

I think ebooks have both advantages and disadvantages as opposed to
standard paper-and-ink books. The advantages:

1. Space: I am currently reading a series called "The Wheel of Time,"
and the first 10 books in this series are in a great big box in my
closet, but the last 3 are on my Kindle, which can fit in my pocket
(though it has to be a large pocket such as on cargo pants).

2. Adjustable print: The print can be adjusted from about the size
that would be found in a regular book to at least twice that size, which
is quite nice, even if you don't have "bad vision". The color of the
background/print can be reversed (black background, white print), which
I like and is the format I use.

3. Ability to look up words: A Kindle (at least the model I have, but
I think all come with this feature) comes with a dictionary so you can
automatically look up words if you want.

4. Backlighting: Kindles, or at least some models are backlit so you
can read without having to have a light on. This might come in handy if
you wish to read in bed but not have the light on that might disturb
your partner.

The disadvantages, at least that I have found, a

1. Battery life: On a Kindle Fire, Amazon's tablet computer, which is
what I have, the battery life is only a few hours in continuous use, so
if I take it somewhere, such as a restaurant to do some reading, I have
to plug it in to recharge as soon as I get home. If you were going on a
trip some where, you would need a car adapter to keep it charged.

On a regular e-reader, the battery life is longer, and that has to do
with how the display is maintained, for a more technical explanation, go
to someone other than me.

However, it charges through a standard micro-usb connection, so a
charger that you can buy at Wal-mart or wherever would work, though you
could buy one through Amazon when you buy the Kindle.

2. I am not real sure how to explain this one, so what I say might be a
bit vague, but an ebook does not feel like it is "mine" in the same way
that a paper-and-ink book does.

There are several articles online comparing e-books to "real" books, but
those are the main differences that I have noted. Just google for
someting like "ebooks vs. real books." The are also several articles
that go into greater technical details of the file formats if you are
interested in that.

As for the machine you are pondering, if you are considering a high-end
electronic machine that does machine embroidery, etc., I would say it is
very likely you probably have the money to buy both as a Kindle costs
well under $100 to just over $100 depending on the model, and the
high-end sewing machine costs several hundred to possibly several
thousand dollars.

If you have only about 200 or so "spare dollars" and can only buy one or
the other, I would highly recommend getting the kindle, unless you
absolutely have to replace your sewing machine.

If you absolutely have to replace your sewing machine and only have that
kind of money (~$200), I would highly recommend looking on ebay or
craigslist for something like a 301 or featherweight as any new machine
that is that price is probably a piece of junk that will last at most a
few years. Going to a sew and vac store like Cathey's for a used
machine might also be an option.

--
Brian Christiansen
Old February 8th 17, 05:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Hello Brian,
Thanks for all the information on the Kindle and down loading. I been unsure of what to buy and if I could actually download books. You know I am pretty dumb when it comes to computers or anything electronic.
Sandy$
Old February 8th 17, 05:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

If anyone on the newsgroup decides to try Jump Ring quilt be sure when you snowball the 2 1/2 inch white squares to press the white toward the darker material as when sewing rows together those layers of material get thick.
Sandy$
Old February 8th 17, 06:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Night Mist

On Wednesday, February 8, 2017 at 11:02:25 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Hello Brian,
Thanks for all the information on the Kindle and down loading. I been unsure of what to buy and if I could actually download books. You know I am pretty dumb when it comes to computers or anything electronic.
Sandy$

Just a quick opinion on the kindle.
I got a fire tablet for my birthday. Within 3 months it had "upgraded" itself into a paperweight. It is an absolute horror of proprietary software that cannot be removed from the device. An add pops up on screen every time you open it. They have meddled with their file formating and extensions so that it will not interface well if at all with other devices. I keep everything on my desktop computer, so when they did that the tablet's usefulness ended. I do not like the browser it comes with and it really really does not want me to install a different one, not "lite" versions of popular browsers, nor specifically written for mobile device browsers like Midori.
I am either going to root the thing or make a deal with my youngest daughter to either get on her prime account and share the tablet with her so she can actually access the audio and video content that comes with her prime account, or perhaps just give it to her.
Save yourself the grief and get a different tablet and the kindle app.
If you do opt for an Amazon device, make sure you turn off Alexa. Alexa will eat your charge very quickly. When it downloaded onto my tablet, battery life was cut in half until I turned it off.
Old February 8th 17, 08:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Brian Christiansen

On 02/08/2017 10:40 AM, Night Mist wrote:
On Wednesday, February 8, 2017 at 11:02:25 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Hello Brian,
Thanks for all the information on the Kindle and down loading. I been unsure of what to buy and if I could actually download books. You know I am pretty dumb when it comes to computers or anything electronic.
Sandy$

Just a quick opinion on the kindle.

I kind of agree, but also disagree with your criticisms.
I got a fire tablet for my birthday. Within 3 months it had "upgraded" itself into a paperweight.

Yes, to my understanding, amongst the e-readers available from Amazon,
the Fire is kinda the lowest tier, with the quality for just e-reading
going up through the regular kindle, the paperwhite, and with their
newest model, the Oasis being the best ereader (at least according to
some reviewers) on the market.

It is an absolute horror of proprietary software that cannot be removed from the device.

While I agree that the kindle fire is quite heavily tied to books from
Amazon, and could be looked on as discouraging getting books from
elsewhere (such as Barnes and Noble), I do not find it to be a "horror
of propietary software".

An add pops up on screen every time you open it.

I have the version of the Fire that puts up the ad as well, and I have
accidentally opened it a few times, but have had no real problem in just
ignoring them, and just swiping past them.

They have meddled with their file formating and extensions so that it will not interface well if at all with other devices.

I keep everything on my desktop computer, so when they did that the
tablet's usefulness ended.

That is perhaps true, but except as a experiment to see what might
happen when I connect it (ubuntu 14.04 recognizes it, ubuntu 12.04 did
not, or at least did not appear to), so I really do not have any
problems there.

I do not like the browser it comes with and it really really does not want me to install a different one, not "lite" versions of popular browsers, nor specifically written for mobile device browsers like Midori.

I have installed the dolphin browser and the ocean browser which are, I
think, specifically written for tablets, and I had no problems
installing either one. The one that I like best, however, is Silk, the
one that comes pre-installed on the Fire, especially the newer version
of it.

Save yourself the grief and get a different tablet and the kindle app.

I am quite satisfied with my Kindle Fire, despite the shortcomings you
describe. However, if you keep everything on your computer like you say
you do, and your desktop is a Macintosh, getting an Ipad mini might be
the better investment, even though it is bit more expensive (~200 as
opposed to ~100, at least going by the prices on Amazon).

If your desktop is a windows computer, getting a Samsung, Lenovo or even
Dell (though those are really expensive) is perhaps a better investment.

If I ever need to replace my tablet, price would probably be the prime
consideration for me, and it appears that at least some models from
Lenovo are cheaper than some models of the Fire, and it turns out that
the actual manufacturer for both Lenovo and Amazon is a company called
Quanta computers.

If you do opt for an Amazon device, make sure you turn off Alexa. Alexa will eat your charge very quickly. When it downloaded onto my tablet, battery life was cut in half until I turned it off.

I do not know what Alexa is, nor have I ever seen it on the list of
installed programs on my Fire, but I do agree that battery life is a
problem on tablets, but I don't think that problem is unique to Fires.

The best technique I have found for extending battery life between
plugins is to fully shut it off between uses, and not just let the
screen go blank ("go to sleep").

--
Brian Christiansen
Old February 8th 17, 09:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Brian Christiansen

On 02/08/2017 09:02 AM, wrote:
Hello Brian,
Thanks for all the information on the Kindle and down loading. I been unsure of what to buy and if I could actually download books. You know I am pretty dumb when it comes to computers or anything electronic.
Sandy$

Like I said (or at least implied), there is a short answer and a long
answer to your original question.

The short answer is that nothing really needs to be done except taking
the Kindle out of the box making sure it is charged for most types of
e-books.

The long answer is a confusing mess of different file types and which
the Kindle can support natively, and which need a separate app installed.

Night Mist, in her post gives some legitimate criticisms of the Amazon
products (Kindle/Kindle Fire), and I responded with my experiences
involving those particular shortcomings.

Unfortunately, I can give my opinion about e-readers and tablets, Night
Mist can give hers, and you can read online reviews from now till Saint
Swizen's Day (fans of the show M*A*S*H might get that reference), but
the only real way to tell if you would like an e-reader better than
regular paper-and-ink books is to actually try one. Perhaps you can
find someone that has one and you can borrow it for testing purposes.

--
Brian Christiansen
Old February 9th 17, 12:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

I have the Kindle generation 3 typepad style Kindle. It is at least 5 years old now. Currently there are over 400 books in it, all of them except one were "free". It is an ereader only, not a tablet.

There has never been a problem for me with this unit. I purchased a hard cover from eBay for it, which is showing signs of wear.

Really like my simple Kindle, but, Brian, it was quite a lesson to read about the different versions!

Ginger in CA
[email for response is ]

Old February 9th 17, 08:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Night Mist

On Wednesday, February 8, 2017 at 2:48:03 PM UTC-5, Brian Christiansen wrote:

They have meddled with their file formating and extensions so that it will not interface well if at all with other devices.

I keep everything on my desktop computer, so when they did that the
tablet's usefulness ended.

That is perhaps true, but except as a experiment to see what might
happen when I connect it (ubuntu 14.04 recognizes it, ubuntu 12.04 did
not, or at least did not appear to), so I really do not have any
problems there.

Ubuntu Studio 16.04.1, on a custom build.
The tablet will not mount. It's icon blinks on the desktop, so the computer knows what it is and that it is there, but it cannot mount it so that you can access it. When I first got the thing back in August I did not have this problem. The tablet upgrades madly though, and will even turn itself on to do so. I really found that to be a boggler! Right around the beginning of November is when it started refusing to talk to my computer. I have just done a desktop software upgrade, so after I do a hardware upgrade tomorrow (new fan is all, Hyper 212 EVO, I'll either have to cut a hole in the side of the box or leave the side cover off to make it fit. Bit of fuss.) I'll try again. So far no upgrades have helped, but one never knows.
The fact that I use linux means no help from Amazon on this.

If you do opt for an Amazon device, make sure you turn off Alexa. Alexa will eat your charge very quickly. When it downloaded onto my tablet, battery life was cut in half until I turned it off.

I do not know what Alexa is, nor have I ever seen it on the list of
installed programs on my Fire, but I do agree that battery life is a
problem on tablets, but I don't think that problem is unique to Fires.

It could be that your Fire is older than mine and could not handle Alexa.
Alexa is a sort of a bot program that is supposed to help you with your shopping.
This I do not need or want, but it installed itself permanently so all I could do was turn it off. It eats charge like crazy and bogs the system.

When I got the tablet out of the box it was loaded with just over a page of pre-installs, not counting the standard stuff that you expect to find on a new OS. None of which could be removed or replaced. It has added stuff since then. The side pages are stacked with junk as well.

Oh, and if you put a book on there from anyplace but the kindle store, it sticks it in the documents folder not the book folder. Even if it is in the kindle format (.mobi). Even if you specifically put it in books, when you go to read it it will be in documents. Now the reader function is pretty darn good. Your book in the documents file will read normally, just as if it came from the store. I can actually read an e-book with no headaches, eyestrain, or glare issues. The folder goofiness is just a mild irritation quickly gotten over once you know what it is doing.

Mind you all my complaints about the thing may be unique to the specific Fire version I have.
I am also completely spoiled by how easy it is to customize a linux system, and the notion of not being able to remove useless software, especially memory heavy stuff, is just appalling to me.

The best technique I have found for extending battery life between
plugins is to fully shut it off between uses, and not just let the
screen go blank ("go to sleep").

At home I just keep it plugged in. I always shut it off completely, but when I pick it up again it is always on. That is one of the most irritating things about it. You would imagine that if it can turn itself on to upgrade it could just as easily turn itself off when it is done! I can put it in airplane mode to stop it doing that, then it takes an age to get to doing anything when I want it because it has to do all the upgrading it missed out on. Since I cannot use it as a reader I do not use it very often. easier just to keep it plugged in and let it do what it wants.
Anyway, an extension cord and a macro to micro usb cable and I can comfortably use it plugged in anywhere in the house. If I can get it usable again for anything but Neflix, video really eats the power, I will be able to use it for what I wanted it for which is all those hours in waiting rooms. Paperbacks tend to squish and mangle in my purse, hardbacks are cumbersome, and between my medical and Ash's school stuff (another school meeting coming up, I better lay in some crosses and holy water), I spend way too much time in waiting rooms.
I have surgery to fix the incisional hernia coming up next month. DH says he will lend me his power brick if it is going to be an overnight stay, which it probably will be all things considered. That way I can at least watch video if I haven't managed to sort the interface problem.

NightMist

Old February 13th 17, 09:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Night Mist

Success!
It did not look like it was going to work. I plugged in and synced it and it didn't even show up on the desk top, just sat blinking in the file manager. Just for giggles I tried it on all the other linux machines in the house. It worked on DH's desktop and DD3's laptop, both of which are Ubuntu main, Xenial. It did not work on the laptop running Mint. Then I tried it again on my machine, running the lsubusb command in terminal this time. Success! Now I can add some mp3s to my music files and add books. Yay!

NightMist

Wedding Ring Quilt Alicia Quilting 1 December 23rd 08 05:08 PM
Help!! charms to lay right, glue on jump ring, good digitalcamera [email protected] Beads 2 May 8th 08 04:18 PM
Help!! charms to lay right, glue on jump ring, good digital camera [email protected] Beads 2 May 7th 08 11:52 PM
Art clay silver piece: solder on a jump ring or refire w/ a bail? lavachickie Jewelry 4 January 7th 08 06:27 PM
Jump Ring Help! Charlie Beads 11 March 8th 04 04:56 AM