Maker's Marks

Old May 8th 04, 04:52 PM
carlDOTwest

Default Maker's Marks

I have a friend who has a laser engraver. I recently gave her
a .GIF of my mark and had her burn it into the end of a 3/16"
punch (in reverse of course).

I have yet to try it on something ferrous but it makes a lovely
mark on copper and silver.

I'm trying to gauge what interest there might be in custom punches.

What would it be worth to you to be able to punch your own graphic
into your work? What size would you want it to be?

-- Fritz

If you try to 'reply' to me without fixing the dot, your reply
will go into a 'special' mailbox reserved for spam. See below.

--
Carl West http://carl.west.home.comcast.net

change the 'DOT' to '.' to email me

"Clutter"? This is an object-rich environment.
Old May 9th 04, 08:42 AM
ted.frater

It would be useful if you could postsome images of the mark as impressed
in the copper and silver.
Any serious s/smith will want to see samples before comissioning his
makers marks.
Also 3/16 is fine on say a bowl or larger piece of work, but on
Jewellery? no. For this , you need punches that have the design within a
1/16in sq. Can she work that small?
Most professional s/smiths have a rangeof punches to suit the work.
Also as we cant see the mark as yet, ae the punches she makes incised?
ie called skeleton? or are they in 3 D like a traditional punch?
Also before you try your punch on ferrous , have you hardened and
tempered it to a straw colour? if you havnt done either itl either break
or distort.
We await more info and images.
Old May 10th 04, 03:58 AM
Carl West

ted.frater wrote:

It would be useful if you could postsome images of the mark as impressed
in the copper and silver.
Any serious s/smith will want to see samples before comissioning his
makers marks.

Of course.
I'm trying to gauge interest before running down what may be a blind alley.

Also 3/16 is fine on say a bowl or larger piece of work, but on
Jewellery? no. For this , you need punches that have the design within a
1/16in sq. Can she work that small?

I'm not sure. I think the resolution is at least 300 dpi, maybe better.
As far as getting her to center it on a tiny punch...
She's been in the business of engraving rings and pendants and various
knick-knacks, she's not used to the idea of really fine work and precision.
I offered her a 1/16" punch and she shied from it and
chose the larger. The answer may be to have her burn the image small
_somewhere_ on the tip and grind/hone the punch-tip to size afterward.

Also as we cant see the mark as yet, ae the punches she makes incised?
ie called skeleton? or are they in 3 D like a traditional punch?

The design was burned straight into the punch, it looks
as if it had been done with a router using a .25mm x .001mm bit,
except the sides of the hole are black. Does that help?

Also before you try your punch on ferrous , have you hardened and
tempered it to a straw colour? if you havnt done either itl either break
or distort.

The punch was hard before it went to the laser, when it was done there was
only the slightest discoloration _right_ around the design and no
temper-coloring on the polished tip. I'm confident it'll work.

We await more info and images.

There seems to be at least mild interest...
I'll see what I can do in the next couple of days.

--

If you try to 'reply' to me without fixing the dot, your reply
will go into a 'special' mailbox reserved for spam. See below.

--
Carl West http://carl.west.home.comcast.net

change the 'DOT' to '.' to email me

"Clutter"? This is an object-rich environment.

"E" marks on (safety?) glass Abdullah Eyles Glass 1 November 1st 04 11:28 AM
OT Kiln ? for bead makers KDK Beads 17 May 12th 04 01:39 AM
How to prevent making nicks and marks in wire? Jen Beads 9 December 1st 03 04:50 PM
How to prevent making nicks and marks in wire? Jen Jewelry 4 December 1st 03 04:50 PM
Makers mark - Sterling silver Dave Ryman Jewelry 1 October 20th 03 04:15 PM