Beginner's Questions

Old December 4th 03, 01:10 PM
Liam Striker

He's saying people will pay more for a panel made with good glass
than for one made with crap glass. The result, since it takes just as
long to make, is that your effective labor rate is higher and you make
more money by using the more expensive material. The "satisfaction"
claim seems to refer to the feeling of the craftsman.

I suspect the numbers are just chosen to illustrate that point, not
because he really believes that the price ratio is exactly 1::2. I don't
do stained glass myself, so I don't know if there really is much of a
difference between local and by-mail glass. Others on the group
will no doubt address that....

Ditto..

Liam

Old December 4th 03, 01:35 PM
Liam Striker

Two things are important to me. My own satisifaction with my work and the
customers smile. And I think the customer is more satisified by a great
looking window than a cheap price. They will boast about thier great
looking window for years, but a sale is forgoten by the next payday. Better
glass greatly contributes to satisfaction. But then again I don't rely on
my studios income to put bread on the table. If I did, I might sing a
different tune. Charging double for a panel with better glass is an
exageration, yes, but the point still stands. You can more than recoup your
costs of expensive glass by using it. Any besides, if you are going to look
at the leftovers on a shelf for the next year, wouldn't you rather look at
Armstrong than Spectrum?

Old December 4th 03, 03:49 PM
Javahut

"Liam Striker" wrote in message
y.com...
Two things are important to me. My own satisifaction with my work and the
customers smile. And I think the customer is more satisified by a great
looking window than a cheap price. They will boast about thier great
looking window for years, but a sale is forgoten by the next payday.

Better
glass greatly contributes to satisfaction. But then again I don't rely on
my studios income to put bread on the table. If I did, I might sing a
different tune. Charging double for a panel with better glass is an
exageration, yes, but the point still stands. You can more than recoup

your
costs of expensive glass by using it. Any besides, if you are going to

look
at the leftovers on a shelf for the next year, wouldn't you rather look at
Armstrong than Spectrum?

THAT is not a fair comparison, they are both inexpensive and in the same
range, with Armstrong now being Chinese, all bets are off there, BUT and
more to the point....

ever looked at Youghiogheny? Older Lins?( not much around, but it can be
found) Oceana? Old Urorboros( yup there is still some out there), There are
some great opalescent glass around, the Kokomo catspaws would be great if
they would bother to make it cutter friendly, which should be a whole new
thread!
All these make for great glass art, and make a project more pleasing to the
eye, as do a great number of mouth blown antiques, Lamberts and St Just.

It would seem that each project calls out for a particular glass, and each
manufacturer has his place in the glass world, otherwise they would not be
here. The market demand would remove them.

Old December 5th 03, 01:01 AM
Howard

curious bullseye mottles "aint bad either"

I live close enough to hand pick my Uroborus from the factory and if I
wheedle and cajole (and have a few $$$$$$$) I maybe able to get to the
factory at Bullseye. too!

The yogo stipples (specially the non=production stuff) make for a real nice
lamp...........

Amrstrong, Spectrum, most of the Kokomo tend not to be my first or second or
third or fourth etc., for small pieced Tiff style shades.
I do have some older Oceania and a little CAG leaning around.....
for my production shades (panel ones) ONLY STOCK SPECTRUM!

In the words of the IMMORTAL USED CAR DEALER:
THERE IS AN ASS FOR EVERY SEAT!

Old December 5th 03, 05:00 AM
BevCarter

Don't forget those of us who do not have a local retailer that is
easily accessible. Being able to see and touch glass in person is the
best way to buy, without a doubt. I'd love to be able to do that
without having to drive 189 miles (one way) to do so.

When I can, I make the drive and come out with a lot of beautiful
glass, but most of the time, I make my purchases on line. Knowing
what I want, mfr and color/style, is the key to getting the right
product.

Bev
Old December 5th 03, 05:28 AM
Liam Striker

THAT is not a fair comparison, they are both inexpensive and in the same
range, with Armstrong now being Chinese, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Say it aint so.....dangit, and I just found a local wholesaler.

Liam

Old December 5th 03, 05:59 AM
Javahut

THAT is not a fair comparison, they are both inexpensive and in the same
range, with Armstrong now being Chinese, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Say it aint so.....dangit, and I just found a local wholesaler.

Liam

Warehouse is in GA, manufactured in mainland China, and guess what, there
are 7 other factories there, and making colors that have the domestic guys
scared stiff. Looks just like the normal KOG, Wissmach, and Yough, but cuts
like crap, for now!

But I remember when their bevels looked like hell too, and now? Yup,
their lamps are pure , cheap junk, but they hit a market niche that I
wouldn't and now the bottom is knocked out of the lamp market,
comparitively.

Better get a firm grip on your butt, because while it isn't happening yet,
it will, where they improve their quality, and distribution, so that using
American Glass will be a loyalty thing. It will be an even field as to
quality, "theirs" will cost alot less, and that means profit margin to those
that DO earn a living at this wonderful art/craft we do.

I sure hope that those manufacturers that have given the small professional
studio a hard time wake up, that those same makers that make their glass so
darn hard and brittle(Listening KOG?) when they don't have to, change the
way they do things, or they will be eaten alive and be crying the blues
about what happened to "their" market.

This should be a new thread!!

Old December 5th 03, 08:53 PM
nJb

Javahut wrote:

AN educated customer is , by far, a better customer for me to have. They
realize the value of a dollar, and also that they are getting what they are
paying for, and more.
Cheap things are of no value, valuable things are not cheap!

We had a sign in the machine shop I worked at.

We can do it right.
We can do it fast.
We can do it cheap.

Pick any two.

Right and cheap. It won't be fast.
Right and fast. It won't be cheap.
Fast and cheap. It won't be right.

Fast was based on the assumption that we worked OT around the clock.

--
Jack

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/xmissionbobo/
Old December 6th 03, 07:00 AM
jk

"Liam Striker" wrote in message

THAT is not a fair comparison, they are both inexpensive and in the same
range, with Armstrong now being Chinese, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Say it aint so.....dangit, and I just found a local wholesaler.

Liam

Armstrong was nothing special when they were making their own. A notch
below common Spectrum was my opinion. As Java says, they saved their bacon
importing Chinese, when the cost of utilities went sky high. The Asians
blatantly copy all the common textures too! Glue chip, Waterglass, baroque,
etc. Not great, getting better, but for .99 a foot my cabinet panel
customers can't tell the difference.
I was looking at some new glass at Hollander and asked if it was
Chinese..... it was South African they said! Any of you oldtimers out there
remember Vietnamese white opal? Can Cuban glass be far behind?

--
JK Sinrod NY
Sinrod Stained Glass

Old December 6th 03, 07:59 AM
nJb

jk wrote:

"Liam Striker" wrote in message

THAT is not a fair comparison, they are both inexpensive and in the same
range, with Armstrong now being Chinese, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Say it aint so.....dangit, and I just found a local wholesaler.

Liam

Armstrong was nothing special when they were making their own. A notch
below common Spectrum was my opinion. As Java says, they saved their bacon
importing Chinese, when the cost of utilities went sky high. The Asians
blatantly copy all the common textures too! Glue chip, Waterglass, baroque,
etc. Not great, getting better, but for .99 a foot my cabinet panel
customers can't tell the difference.
I was looking at some new glass at Hollander and asked if it was
Chinese..... it was South African they said! Any of you oldtimers out there
remember Vietnamese white opal? Can Cuban glass be far behind?

Cuban glass, eh? We'll have to smuggle it out of Canada along with
cigars and rum.