how do you feel about copper?

Old February 21st 04, 12:46 AM
Pam

Default how do you feel about copper?

I've got a necklace in mind - I just picked up some cool rock beads today
and I'm thinking some handmade rolled copper beads and copper wire beads
would look really great with them... but I just don't know if people will
wear copper jewelry. Won't it turn people green? Or just some people? Some
people say it helps with arthritis pain... I know I've seen copper jewelry
out and about at craft fairs and stuff... but never bought any myself, and
don't know anyone who wears copper.

So... how do you feel about copper?

--
Pam Brisse
The Blue Between - hand crafted jewelry and bead art

Old February 21st 04, 12:55 AM
starlia

I think copper is lovely. There is a lady who always does our Pecan Street
festival that does wonderful things in copper. I think there is a coating
to protect from the patina, but I'm not sure.

Old February 21st 04, 01:00 AM
Kandice Seeber

I **love** the look of copper. I've never had it turn me green, and I
wouldn't care if it did. It's just such a warm, lovely color and goes
really well with some colors of glass. Mmmmmmm I'd rather wear copper than
gold any day. Maybe that's because I am a redhead.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old February 21st 04, 01:29 AM
Lynda

Copper is cool. It's totally in from what I've *heard* don't really know
myself.
It's also cool if you bake it.... turns all kind of cool colors.

I say Go For It

--
Hugs,
Lynda

Old February 21st 04, 01:55 AM
Harry

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 17:31:22 -0800, vj wrote:

vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "Pam" :

]So... how do you feel about copper?

personally, i love copper.
copper doesn't like ME much, but i love the way it looks.
just make sure and include cleaning instructions?
[everyone loves it when i tell them "toothbrush and ketchup"]

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
(Jewelry) http://www.vickijean.com
newest creations: http://www.vickijean.com/new.html
-----------
The measure of the menace of a man is not what
hardware he carries, but what ideas he believes.-- Jeff Jordan

I think I read somewhere to dip copper in lemon juice?

Harry
My Ebay Auctions are at http://snipurl.com/3okw
Old February 21st 04, 01:57 AM
Pam

It's also cool if you bake it.... turns all kind of cool colors.

oooh now there is an idea or ten! Quick search gave me this:
http://www.finishing.com/2600-2799/2662.html

will have to see what else I can find... thanks

Old February 21st 04, 01:59 AM
Kaytee

So... how do you feel about copper?

I love the look of copper... However, after a short time, it is no longer
bright and shiny, if you start with the "raw" product. The copper tone pewter
seems to "work" much better for long term.
Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com

Old February 21st 04, 04:18 AM
roxan

I love working with copper and yes it will get a green patina on it after
time which is very desirable.
Roxan

Old February 21st 04, 05:15 AM
Karen_AZ

Being in Arizona, I have an almost patriotic obligation to say.....I LOVE
IT!!!! I have a heavy copper bracelet with a wonderful patina on it. Some
things just NEED copper to bring out the best....like malachites (makes
sense since they grow together, huh?)

KarenK

Old February 21st 04, 10:39 AM
lgreene

Pam:
We have entire copper line, and it sells quite well. I like the patination,
but for people who might not, you can either lacquer it or spray it with
Krylon matte spray. It will wear off in time, but then it can be resprayed
or lacquered.

IF you are sealing the copper, it should just be cleaned using a soft cloth.

If you are not sealing it, the best cleaner I have found is lemon juice with
a pinch of salt. You can either dip the piece in, or put the mixture on a
cloth and use it that way. I dip.

We started making copper because so many of our friends wear copper jewelry
in the hopes of helping with their arthritis. Most of the jewelry was very
plain and boring so we made some things in copper.

About heating it...if you want just some of the beads to have a different
color, or you just want parts of them to, get one of those "ov'gloves" and a
candle, and putting your piece in tongs, hold it over the candle, and watch
it change colors. Beautiful pinks, oranges, etc.

Good luck. Would love to see what you do with one of my favorites...copper.

Also, do get the jewelry grade copper and not the stuff from the hardware
store if you can...the color is much nicer, and because it's half hard, it's
easier to work with.

lg
"Pam" wrote in message
I've got a necklace in mind - I just picked up some cool rock beads today
and I'm thinking some handmade rolled copper beads and copper wire beads
would look really great with them... but I just don't know if people will
wear copper jewelry. Won't it turn people green? Or just some people? Some
people say it helps with arthritis pain... I know I've seen copper jewelry
out and about at craft fairs and stuff... but never bought any myself, and
don't know anyone who wears copper.

So... how do you feel about copper?

--
Pam Brisse
The Blue Between - hand crafted jewelry and bead art
http://www.bluebetween.com

How does it make you feel? Diana Curtis Beads 154 January 8th 04 06:01 AM
New Polymer with Copper Design Jayzor Beads 1 September 9th 03 10:54 PM
Copper starlia Beads 7 September 8th 03 10:25 PM
Copper from Ivory Copper starlia Beads 0 September 6th 03 11:12 PM
Pearls and Copper Valerie Beads 4 August 5th 03 02:05 AM