New Log Cabin Quilt

Old February 24th 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

Default OT:Bad English teachers

On Feb 24, 9:31 am, "CATS" wrote:
How sad for her. I hope she found a challenge for her
obvious talents elsewhere and that she is now appreciated by
her dedication and enthusiasm.

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o

"John" wrote in message

oups.com...
: On Feb 23, 9:18 pm, "CATS" wrote:
: They are "teachers" with a job, not a profession or a
: "calling". Sadly there are all too many of them
everywhere
: today. I loved teaching (adult training courses) but I
: would not work in the current school systems and I fear
many
: who would make inspirational school teachers - the
kind we
: really need - feel the same.
:
: It is sad to meet a child with a real hunger to learn
and to
: realise that they are being stifled in their school (or
: home) environment. I know a couple who live near me,
and
: when you take the time to talk to them and to push them
: think and consider you can see the light in their eyes
as
: they realise what they are capable of.
:
: --
:
: Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
: o o o o
: ( Y ) ( Y )
: Boofhead
Donuthttp://community.webshots.com/user/witchofthewest
: catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau
:
: ((snip))
: :
: : I hate teachers like that. I had a high school
English
: teacher for 2 years
: : that graded me down because I knew more than she did.
It
: was a big fight to
: : get me into the honors English track because this
teacher
: kept refusing to
: : sign the papers for me.
: :
: : Maureen
: :
:
: My sister got into teaching, for a few years, and was
constantly
: frustrated by the other teachers attitude to only working
to the
: minimum required. She was also one of those people who
tried doing
: things "differently" than the other teachers would. She
was so
: successful, she received one of those $25,000 special
Mentor Award
: grants, that California hands out to outstanding teachers
in their
: field. The other teachers were so jealous, they shunned
her in all the
: interchanges they would have, such as the teachers break
room. She
: finally got fed up with it and bailed out, with much bad
feeling on
: her part and sense of loss from the administration and her
students.
: It is very lonely when you challenge the group, and only
works if you
: are strong enough to be self fulfilled.
:
: John
:
:

She went back to school and got her PHD in child psych but has never
practiced, full time. Did do some work on a contract basis for the
county juvenile service. Is now married to her long time Beau and they
are doing nicely.

John

Old February 24th 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Megan Zurawicz

Default OT Grammar Book New Log Cabin Quilt

"I need to axe my momma and daddy."
"Are you sure? It didn't work out really well for Lizzie Borden."

Of course, it's not these folks' faults; it's years of being corrupted by
grisly Christmas carols, of course....

"...to sing a slaying song tonight...."

That's the party down the hall from the one where they're all donning now
their gay apparel.

--pig

On 2/24/07 10:51, in article ,
"Jessamy" wrote:

that would make for an interesting conversation with the police: oh yes! I
axed him too!

Old February 25th 07, 12:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

Default OT: Axing mom and dad (was OT Grammar Book New Log Cabin Quilt)

"Megan Zurawicz" wrote in message
"I need to axe my momma and daddy."
"Are you sure? It didn't work out really well for Lizzie Borden."

In the words of the Kingston Trio:

Oh, you can't chop your papa up in Massachusetts,
Massachusetts is a far cry from New York!

For some reason it really bothered my parents that I knew all the words to
that song. *grin*

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

Old February 25th 07, 01:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jack Campin - bogus address

My favorite example of that is "off tin". T in "often" has been
silent how many centuries?

Not in Scots it hasn't. I doubt the pronunciation has changed at all
since the Middle Ages. Probably the Americans who pronounce it that
way got it from Scots immigrants.

Old February 25th 07, 01:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jack Campin - bogus address

Default OT:Bad English teachers (was OT Grammar Book New Log Cabin Quilt)

My middle school English teacher (who also wasn't a teacher of any kind)
used to make us do book reports. No problem there. We had to start out
saying what kind of book it was -- novel, history, etc. One of the books
I read was called "Words of the Myths", which is a book about words that
derive from Greek and Roman myths. I asked my mom what kind of book it
was and she suggested "philology". I looked the word up and agreed.

I hand in my paper, and it's returned with philology marked as misspelled.
I marched over to the teacher and complained that I knew the word was
*not* misspelled, as I had copied the spelling directly from the dictionary
when I looked it up. The teacher shrugged and said "Oh, I didn't know what
it meant so I marked it misspelled."

When I was about 10 I had a rather naive, not very bright, and very
Christian teacher called Miss Jones (probably the first person I met
who had a Welsh accent to match the name). For whatever reason, she
brought in a record of Tom Lehrer songs. And played the whole thing.
Including "The Masochism Tango".

- Miss Jones, what's "masochism"?

- I'm not sure, let's look it up in the dictionary, shall we?...
[flip flip flip] "A sexual perversion characterized by..."
ooh, I didn't think it was *that* strong!

The one good thing to come from the incident is that I will never
forget the meaning or spelling of philology. *evil grin*

The one I remember was "phthisis" A bit after the above episode we
had a sort of competitive test to see how good our pronunuciation was.
We had to read out a list of words of ever-increasing difficulty and
obscurity. I was way ahead of the rest of the class, and made it all
through the list until that one, which was the very last item. The
frustrating thing was that I knew *how* to pronounce it, and what the
word meant; I just couldn't physically do it, thanks to having a cleft
palate and at that point no denture to articulate that consonant
cluster on. (I've since acquired a fascination for languages like
Georgian that have gigantic pile-ups of consonants - I can roll off
placenames like "Mtskheta" with no problem at all).

Old February 25th 07, 02:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Kathy Applebaum wrote:
In the words of the Kingston Trio:

Oh, you can't chop your papa up in Massachusetts,
Massachusetts is a far cry from New York!

For some reason it really bothered my parents that I knew all the words to
that song. *grin*

Geez Loueez -- which song is that? I should know it -- my DBro and I
used to sing & play guitar in coffee houses way back in the mid-60's and
we did a whole bunch of Kingston Trio songs. I should KNOW that song
but it's just not coming to me. Tell me quick and put me out of my
misery!! All together, hum in tune -- and a one and a two and a
.....Shady Grove, my little love, Shady Grove I know...................
CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old February 25th 07, 03:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

So put me out of my misery
How do you pronounce "phthisis"?
--
Cheryl (who has a complete collection of TL songs on CD!)
& the Cats in OZ
catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

(snip)

Old February 25th 07, 05:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
frood

In our house, it is "don we now our day of peril". Of course, DD#1
doesn't know why we need to don the day, but she insists those are the
words. Especially since she saw that Futurama episode.

Wendy

Old February 25th 07, 08:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leigh Harris

"CATS" wrote
They are "teachers" with a job, not a profession or a
"calling". Sadly there are all too many of them everywhere
today.

I agree that there are a number of bad teachers out there, but as a current
member of one of the most undervalued professions, I would like to point out
that I believe they are still in the minority. I am a high school English
teacher (20+ years) and I take great pleasure in challenging my students to
improve and then seeing them actually achieve that improvement. I also have
no problem in admitting that I too am human and prone to mistakes or lack of
knowledge. I am as able to check something in a dictionary as anyone else.
If I make a mistake in a handout or on the board, I congratulate those who
pick it up, admiring their proofreading skills. Anyone who is so insecure
that they can't take correction, especially from a child or teenager, should
never enter a classroom, in my opinion!

I know, the whole teaching profession was not being bagged in this thread.
It's just that there is a lot of that going on in my home state at the
moment, mostly thanks to the stupid government itself. The story goes
something like this - Let's force teachers to implement a new type of
curriculum, whether they like it or not, then dump it just as they've put
years of preparation into it. Also, let's make that change the week before
the new school year starts and expect them to still provide a good education
to their senior students. I'm waiting for the part nearer the end of the
year when we then blame all the teachers for not getting top results from
their students. Add to that the ridiculous notion of students having a say
in teacher pay/bonus pay and you see the education climate here at the
moment. (Hmm, I don't like my teacher. If I don't perform so well, or say
she's done a bad job and I could have done better with another teacher, she
gets less pay. Great system!) The mind boggles.

Okay, I'm off to mark some student work now, if I can figure out which of
the three possible systems it is that they want me to use today (yes, I'm
serious about that...)

--
Leigh Harris
Perth, Western Australia