silversmithing anvil question

Old July 21st 03, 03:34 AM
bluemaxx

Default silversmithing anvil question

Stainless steel anvil, forged steel anvil, chrome anvil, silversmith
steel anvil, iron anvil, jeweler's bench anvil, reloading anvil...
jeez... there are way too many anvils! I'm so confursed! lol...

So what's the best type to get? All I want to do is pound silver
wire with a patterning hammer and/or work harden the wire.
--
Linda

Old July 21st 03, 01:48 PM
Barbara Otterson

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 02:34:25 GMT, "bluemaxx"
wrote:

Stainless steel anvil, forged steel anvil, chrome anvil, silversmith
steel anvil, iron anvil, jeweler's bench anvil, reloading anvil...
jeez... there are way too many anvils! I'm so confursed! lol...

So what's the best type to get? All I want to do is pound silver
wire with a patterning hammer and/or work harden the wire.

Again, go to IJS. If all you want to do in pound on it, just
get a steel hammering block. (It's just a square piece of
steel about 4" x 4" and maybe 1/2" thick. Much cheaper
than an anvil.)
Barbara
Dream Master
www.dreamweaverstudio.com

"We've got two lives, one we're given,
the other one we make."
Mary Chapin Carpenter

Old July 21st 03, 04:59 PM
mĒdcĒt

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 12:35:22 GMT, Marisa Cappetta
wrote:

in article RiISa.110365$H17.34173@sccrnsc02, bluemaxx at
wrote on 21/7/03 10:34 AM:

Stainless steel anvil, forged steel anvil, chrome anvil, silversmith
steel anvil, iron anvil, jeweler's bench anvil, reloading anvil...
jeez... there are way too many anvils! I'm so confursed! lol...

So what's the best type to get? All I want to do is pound silver
wire with a patterning hammer and/or work harden the wire.

Case hardened steel is best. Basically it means that the outer layer of
steel is hardened and won't readily dent. If the steel is not case-hardened,
you will get lots of little impressions on your work surface, these will
transefer to your silver.

I have an anvil, but find that my steel hammering block (about 4 inches
square) that sits conveniently on my jewellers bench is the hammering
surface I use the most.

Probably a stupid question, but where would I get one of these? (I'm
in Sydney)

Actually, NOT a stupid question. A stupid question is Mr Hardware
Store Employee: "Uh....what's an anvil?" And then there's the Large
Hardware Chain who hide from customers...

To keep it from rusting, I made a leather pouch and rubbed in sewing machine
oil. I live near the coast and things tend to rust easily, so when I'm
finished working for the day, I pop the block in the bag and it never rusts.
I also made leather hoods for my beloved steel hammers. Once a year I re-oil
the leather.

Thanks for the tips!

Old July 22nd 03, 04:05 PM
bluemaxx

Thanks so much, Barbara - and Susan and Marisa. )))))
--
Linda

"Barbara Otterson" wrote in
message ...

: wrote:
:
[...]

hits counter question: ot to beads i guess... :) alia Beads 8 July 22nd 03 05:42 PM
question regarding an AD marisa2 Beads 2 July 16th 03 04:47 PM
Another question.... Question about Beading Thread Ken Knecht Beads 3 July 16th 03 06:24 AM
Price of Jade Question... Dr. Sooz Beads 0 July 15th 03 01:22 AM
Question - Bead Loom Dr. Sooz Beads 72 July 14th 03 01:54 AM