bought my first lampwork bead today

Old March 28th 04, 10:16 PM
Amber

Default bought my first lampwork bead today

I've found that since I've started reading more books, magazines, and
groups like this about beadwork, the range of materials I've used has
vastly expanded. See, for a while I didn't pay much attention to glass
or lampworked beads. Until very recently, there was only one craft
store in my town, and it's a small little place that doesn't have a
wide variety of beads to choose from. So I was limited in what I could
buy locally, and the only website I'd bought beads from was rather
like the craft store..mostly gemstone, metal, and seed beads, and not
a terribly wide variety at that.

when I picked up my first issue of bead and button a year or so ago, I
was blown away by the lampworked beads I saw there. "How on earth
could I not have known beads like this existed??" I thought. But I
still didn't buy any, because I didn't feel that my skill level was
high enough for me to make anything worthy of supporting such beads.
That, and I was perpetually unemployed due to my mother's illness (I
dropped my plans of art school and put off getting a job so I could be
home for her), so what money I earned from random odd jobs and my
crocheted dolls was not enough for me to purchase just one expensive
bead.

however, I recently got a part-time job, and as my skill level
increased, I started to sell my jewelry and actually make money from
it. seeing the stunning lampworked beads that many of you make put
even more of an itch in my fingers to work with beads like that, and
furthered my desire to learn how to make such beads myself.

yesterday at a bead show I lingered for ages over the tables of
lampworked beads, picking them up lovingly and trying to convince
myself to go ahead and buy one. I ended up not buying the mermaid I'd
been drooling over all day (I got two pieces of dichroic glass
instead) but last night when I got home, I decided to go on a search
on ebay for something similar. I found a seller that had a number of
mermaids up, but nearly all had one or two bids on them already. I
found one that I really liked, and it had no bids and 17 hours left to
go, so I placed a bid for it. luckily no one else bid on it, so I
ended up winning it this morning:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EBWN%3AIT&rd=1

I can't wait for it to get here. I'll probably set it aside for a
little while, as I have a lot of other projects that need working on
right now, and I want to make sure that I have a good design for the
little beauty. Now that I've finally bought one, I'm sure I'll be
squirreling away bits of my paychecks to feed this new addiction.
Old March 29th 04, 02:28 AM
Tinkster

I can still remember when I actually held a lampworked bead in my hand
for the first time... It was actually a few wonderful beads that were
sent to me by Becki as a BFNR. It sure meant a lot to me, and still
does!

I can't wait to see what you think when you actually have your mermaid
in your hands! Let us know!

Tink
http://blackswampglassworks.com/latest.htm
Old March 29th 04, 03:34 AM
llutrick

Amber:

Glad to see you have found lampwork beads, they are the best, don't you
know. I'm a bit biased as I make lampwork beads. I mostly wear mine as a
pendant, hanging from a silver or leather chain. My point in saying this is
that if you don't know what to make with it, just wear the single bead.
Stands out this way.

Beautiful bead you one. She is very pretty.

Lara

eBay ID: lutrick
"Amber" wrote in message
om...
[...]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tegory=46 43&
sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT&rd=1

Old March 29th 04, 05:36 AM
starlia

I'm glad I'm not the only person that makes beads, but only wears them as
pendants. I have beautiful stuff I've made, but I don't wear those. I wear
my very simple jewelry.

"llutrick" wrote in message
Amber:

Glad to see you have found lampwork beads, they are the best, don't you
know. I'm a bit biased as I make lampwork beads. I mostly wear mine as a
pendant, hanging from a silver or leather chain. My point in saying this

is
that if you don't know what to make with it, just wear the single bead.
Stands out this way.

Beautiful bead you one. She is very pretty.

Lara

eBay ID: lutrick
om...

Old March 29th 04, 10:14 AM
Christina Peterson

Hi Amber,

I also have greatly enhanced my exposure to quality beads, good ideas,
information of materials and techniques here. It has made a huge difference
in the quality of my work.

It has also provided me with a "work environment", which I miss since I'm
unable to work.

What's been very interesting is that while I have been finding more beaders
and suppliers on line, I have also been finding more local beaders and
suppliers. Fairbanks is pretty small (35,000 to 50,000 pop), but I knew a
couple places to shop. The Native bead store, a tiny dull little place that
had a few beads, a craft shop full of junk. And a newer (8 years?) place
that had lots of nice things at twice the price of Black Elk in Anchorage
(another retail store). Since then I have also found a great bead section
in the fur trading store. And a great place that sell beads and gives
classes. And I have found two groups of beaders that gather regularly --
one in the library Friday mornings, and the other at the store that gives
classes on Sundays.

Finding local sources is something this group helped me with too.

This group is a wonderful resources.

And hand made beads are magic.

Tina

om...

Old March 29th 04, 10:42 AM
Kandice Seeber

She's lovely - congrats! It was amazing when I got my first lampwork
beads - they felt so right in my hand that I knew I had found something I
would cherish forever.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old March 29th 04, 06:41 PM
Dr. Sooz

$38 for that mermaid bead?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

That's one of those things you hear about happening (but it never happens to
YOU)!! Wow, what a steal! Congratulations for losing your cherry, Amber!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...38&category=46

43&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT&rd=1

Also -- watch out for the hole on this bead. If it's sharp, be sure to file it
down carefully with some jeweler's files or it will cut your stringing
material.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old March 30th 04, 08:07 AM
Kalera Stratton

Wow, she is gorgeous! Congratulations! Beware the lampwork bug... it can
lead you places you've never know existed. The good news; they're all
nice places! g

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old March 30th 04, 08:11 AM
Kalera Stratton

No way are you theonly one! Most of the time I A: wear the one bead I've
strung into a choker (not exaggerating; there's only one) or B: say "I
wanna wear this bead. Where's a piece of string?" and tie it around my
neck for the day.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

"llutrick" wrote in message

Amber:

Glad to see you have found lampwork beads, they are the best, don't you
know. I'm a bit biased as I make lampwork beads. I mostly wear mine as a
pendant, hanging from a silver or leather chain. My point in saying this

is

that if you don't know what to make with it, just wear the single bead.
Stands out this way.

Beautiful bead you one. She is very pretty.

Lara

eBay ID: lutrick
.com...

Old March 30th 04, 08:55 AM
starlia

I do the same thing. I was posting auctions today and just didn't get
around to posting something that at first I didn't like. Then I went and
found a chain and have been wearing it all evening. I think it's a keeper.

I hardly wear any other stuff other than focals. Too much weight on my neck
isn't good.

"llutrick" wrote in message

Amber:

Glad to see you have found lampwork beads, they are the best, don't you
know. I'm a bit biased as I make lampwork beads. I mostly wear mine as a
pendant, hanging from a silver or leather chain. My point in saying this

is

that if you don't know what to make with it, just wear the single bead.
Stands out this way.

Beautiful bead you one. She is very pretty.

Lara

eBay ID: lutrick
.com...