basting

Old January 4th 05, 03:07 PM
Kellie J. Berger

Default basting

so.... in a perfect basting world you would have a table set up just for
you... at the right height, always ready when you needed it... never covered
with other stuff... etc. etc. ad nauseum....

but... in a not so perfect world all you would have was a perfect floor for
basting with your safety pins.

what material would be covering that floor and why?

carpet? plush? berber?
linoleum?
tile?
wood?
cork?
bamboo?

-- Kellie
kjbeanne at yahoo dot com
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/berger....net/my_photos

Old January 4th 05, 03:46 PM
Ian

A hard surface so that I dont baste to the covering. Might want to invest in
a set of comfortable Knee pads though. rest of me is padded enough already
!!

Karen
om...

Old January 4th 05, 03:58 PM
taria

In my not so perfect world where I live I have a folding banquet type
table. The kind with the formica kind of finish that is about an inch
thick, not the molded plastic type. I have little pvc clips that I use
to hold the backing to the table. I have pvc pipes that fit on the legs
but got some of the bed risers recently and they are great. Harriet
Hargraves is my hero.
I try to pin when DD is going to be around so I can hornswaggle her
into helping.

I can't do basting on the floor any more because of my rotten back. In
the old house I had a big room with vinyl on the floor. It had a square
design so I could use that to line things up straight. I was younger
then. Carpet is a pain IMO to baste over. The pins get caught up in the
pile. Makes me think of the I Love Lucy episode when she cut the dress
out and cut the carpet along with.
HTH, Taria

Old January 4th 05, 04:06 PM
Jalynne

hey, that's what i do, too! DD's not quite old enough to help pin yet, but getting
there.
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

Old January 4th 05, 06:09 PM
Debra

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 15:07:19 GMT, "Kellie J. Berger"
wrote:

so.... in a perfect basting world you would have a table set up just for
you... at the right height, always ready when you needed it... never covered
with other stuff... etc. etc. ad nauseum....

but... in a not so perfect world all you would have was a perfect floor for
basting with your safety pins.

what material would be covering that floor and why?
-- Kellie
kjbeanne at yahoo dot com

My mom would say, "In a perfect basting world you would at least have
a room big enough for the quilt to be attached to the frame, plus room
for you to maneuver around the frame, plus room for the large
immovable pieces of furniture." Yesterday she crawled over, crawled
under, squished between, twisted and contorted around, and finally got
her husband's quilt onto the frame and basted in spite of the
livingroom furniture being where the frame needed to be.

My answer for surface to baste over? Air. It is a lot easier to
baste a quilt that is on a frame than one that is laying on a surface.
If you must have a surface--Anything but carpet because I don't want
to baste my quilt to the carpeting.
Debra in VA
Old January 4th 05, 06:50 PM
Chuck and Kim

In my not so perfect world I baste on my dinning room/kitchen table in
between meals because it's at a comfy height and gravity helps with the
sides that hang over the side. An added benefit is that I get my table
cleared off after meals in record time, lol. I have recently started lap
quilting squares as they are easier to manage while watching TV in den with
family but haven't completed one of these quilts yet. Kimela

Old January 4th 05, 07:22 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
Skip the table as long as I can still get on the floor,
carpeted, please. I prefer pin basting over carpet.
The KwikKlip helps the pins stay out of the carpet.
Good luck!
Ragmop/Sandy--btw, 2 Tylenol start the project ;-D

Old January 4th 05, 08:16 PM
Julia in MN

I baste on my dining room table. It's a 42" square oak table, but it has
5 12" leaves, so it's a nice big surface when I'm doing large quilts and
I don't have to do too much bending. It was my grandmother's table, and
she raised 12 children, so they needed a big table I'm not sure if
I'd be able to get up again if I tried basting a big quilt on the floor.
It was bad enough when I spray basted a couple of small lap quilts on
the floor.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old January 4th 05, 08:56 PM
Kellie J. Berger

yeah, on the floor doesn't work the best for me either, back and knees don't
appreciate it at all. but it is the best option i have right now. Thinking
about taking out the carpet in the studio and replacing it with ...
something.

We have allergies (mold and dust) and hearing loss (noise levels) to contend
with as well as the normal costs, looks and durability issues. Too many
pros and cons to all the flooring options, so i am trying to go at this from
a different angle and see where it might lead!

so... do pins mess up linoleum? wood? Pergo? moreso than the dogs nails
and the kids will? anyone used bamboo? would it heal itself or mess up
with all this pinning i need to do?
Can you "carpet" a large room with cutting mats?

Old January 4th 05, 08:58 PM
Polly Esther

I've been doing a combination of two methods. First I baste on the living
room carpet, it is not looped so pins don't catch. I do around the edges and
then a middle line across and then down. After it is basted into fourths, I
move to the table. My back says "thank you". Polly