Beginners crochet patterns?

Old October 27th 03, 12:45 PM
Sarah Carter

Default Beginners crochet patterns?

I'm just learning to crochet and have just about got the hang of a =
couple of stitches and would now like to start to learn how to read =
patterns.

I've found a few of them online, but I can't figure out how to read =
them. Could anyone recommend a couple of easy ones which I might be able =
to understand. 6x6 squares woudl be good, but I don't really mind as =
long as it gets my brain working in a way that I can read them.

Sarah
--=20

Old October 27th 03, 05:14 PM
RigPilot

Sarah,

This is a good place to start learning to read patterns.
http://www.crochetmemories.com/crochet.html

HTH,

Darwin

--

---
10/23/03

Old October 27th 03, 08:53 PM
NoraBalcer

Noreen,

How about the crochet lessons that you post, would they help Sarah?

Hugs,

Nora
Old October 27th 03, 09:38 PM
Aud

This is a good learning site too!
http://crochet.about.com/library/weekly/aa052398.htm
AUD ;-))

--

"Sarah Carter" skrev i melding

Old October 27th 03, 09:42 PM
Aud

And here is some 6x6 patterns, and links to more
http://www.warmingfamilies.org/crocheted_squares.html
AUD ;-))

--

"Aud" skrev i melding

Old October 27th 03, 09:49 PM
Sarah Carter

NoraBalcer wrote in message =

Noreen,
=20
How about the crochet lessons that you post, would they help Sarah?

I've already printed those off. Thats how I learnt to do the basic =
stitches.=20

I've searched for some patterns online, but they just seem gobbledegook, =
so I wondered if there was an easy pattern I should look for first. I =
thought that there might be some easy squares I could try, but there are =
a lot of complicated pattersnf ro squares out there!=20

Sarah
--=20

Old October 27th 03, 09:51 PM
Sarah Carter

RigPilot wrote in message =
et...

This is a good place to start learning to read patterns.
http://www.crochetmemories.com/crochet.html

Brilliant! I've just checked it out and the information seems to have =
sunk in a little. I'll have another read of it when I get a chance to =
make sure I ave fully understood it )

Sarah
--=20

Old October 28th 03, 11:57 AM
Nancy in Tucson

Hi Sarah,

Martha's site has a lot of links and there are links to
"how to" sites etc... When I was learning to crochet I went to our local
library and checked out a video and sat and watched with my hook and yarn
until I "got it" and the video had instructions for things like granny
squares at the end. I also started off with very easy to read and do
patterns and as my confidence increased so did the difficulty of the
patterns! Please feel free to email me directly if I can ever be of help.

Take care,
Nancy in Tucson

Old October 28th 03, 04:54 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Sarah,

The first thing that I crocheted was a granny square. You use a chain and our
double crochet stitch and my Mom told me those are the basic ones you need to
know. Also our single crochet too. Yes, I'm here in the US.

Hugs,

Nora
Old October 28th 03, 05:13 PM
Sarah Carter

NoraBalcer wrote in message =

The first thing that I crocheted was a granny square. You use a chain =

and our
double crochet stitch and my Mom told me those are the basic ones you =

need to
know. Also our single crochet too. Yes, I'm here in the US.

Hi there...

I figured that the 6x6 swap was the perect opportunity to learn and =
practise, so I've done a few in "half double crochet" (or it might have =
been double crochet?). I tried the treble crochet today but managed to =
fail miserably. Maybe I'll have another go at that one tomorrow )

I'm really enjoying it though. It grows much faster than knitting does =
and seems to make a more hard wearing material with the the yarn.

I can remember trying to do single crochet when I was little. My mum =
knew the basics so showed me how to do SC, but wasn't confident with =
corners, so I had a crocheted yarn frisbee!

Sarah
--=20