Catherine de Medici Embroidery

Old July 2nd 04, 06:49 PM
Jeanine3

Default Catherine de Medici Embroidery

Today I received a book from Italy on this type of embroidery. The
authoress also sent me a sample of the cotton thread (like fine string)
used (a small ball) and a rather generous piece of the fabric (undyed
coarse linen) with sample stitches already done in one corner! I am so
pleased that I just had to share. How fabulous to have a stitched sample
to look at!
Her website is he http://www.comune.jesi.an.it/ioricamo/
the book and website are in italian but click on "vetrina" to see
examples of the different types of embroidery - unfortunately no
closeups of punto caterina de medici :-(
Not the greatest picture he
http://guide.supereva.it/non_solo_pu...9/141891.shtml
I can't find anything online with a closeup but it's sort of like
blackwork in that it is done with a single colour: white and the shapes
are geometrical and very pleasing to the eye. It differs from blackwork
though because there aren't really "filled" shapes with patterns. How to
describe it? Hmmm... like white backstitched designs? Very striking though.
The book was 25 euros.
happy friday!
Jeanine in Canada

Old July 2nd 04, 08:12 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Well, I just did a search and can't find anything big enough to be
helpful. (sigh). Is there a picture in your book you could scan and
send to me? Large enough so I can see what you're talking about?

Dianne

Old July 2nd 04, 08:50 PM
Jeanine3

Dianne,
I'm off to battle my scanner...(it hates me) I'll send you something soon!
Jeanine in Canada

Old July 3rd 04, 09:47 PM
sewingsusan

How exciting!! This is what I love about embroidery, and RCTN,
learning about the multitudes of variations of embroidery work done
all over the world, as well as down through the ages! History,
culture and needlework - a BEAUTIFUL combination!

Only I suppose this book you just received is in Italian?? Pout,
pout, pout...

Wm Morris (an interest of mine) would sell his embroidery kits with a
small corner already started, to demonstrate how the stitching ought
to be done. His wife and daughter, I believe, did the stitching.
They were both, if memory serves me correctly, accomplished artists in
their own rights.

Susan
Old July 3rd 04, 11:06 PM
Jeanine3

Yes, the book is in italian. Some books I've ordered from Italy come in
italian and english which has been great for seeing if I really
understand the italian or for when I'm just lazy. Mind you if a
technique is completely foreign to me, even the english will befuddle me
as with books on this side of the pond. ;-)
Determination wins out mostly and when I'm determined to try something I
will eventually figure it out, even if my technique isn't quite right.
I am drawn to foreign types of needlework for the difference in motifs
and possibly the "age" of it too. Needlework inspired by art and
architecture intrigue me.

Jeanine in Canada

Embroidery software futa Machine Knit 0 February 6th 05 07:13 AM
Embroidery software ola Marketplace 0 January 26th 05 01:27 PM
Books about Stitches - longish list Dianne Lewandowski Needlework 20 August 8th 03 07:27 AM
CHINESE EMBROIDERY HISTORY & MORE Zoe Marketplace 0 August 7th 03 06:46 AM