Texture ideas please

Old October 23rd 04, 11:06 AM
E.R.Somdahl

One way to get this stretched effect is to apply the tecture and then
expand the pot from the inside only. Example: textured vase. Pull up a
cylinder to the height you want. Cleanup and texture the outside. Then
go inside with a rib and push out to get the shape you want. The texture
will now be stretched over the expanded surface.

On 10/22/04 9:40 PM, Slgraber wrote:

i think the best result is to apply texture, and stretch the clay from there.
if texture is applied to a piece, it looks applied. but if it's STRECTHED
after applying it looks like it becomes part of the clay piece.

see ya

steve

Old October 23rd 04, 06:46 PM
Slgraber

stretching from the inside is the only way i throw pots. i heard long ago
there are two methods, eastern & western. eastern shapes from the inside,
western shapes from the outside. eastern styles enable textured pots to be
made more easily. i think shaping from the inside also makes for a more
natural shape pot as well.

steve

Subject: Texture ideas please

Old October 23rd 04, 06:47 PM
Tina P

This thread is generating some GREAT IDEAS!!

Keep 'em coming!

Old October 23rd 04, 11:18 PM
Meridith Davis

lol. I was sitting in bed last night and was wondering how I could use the
wicker on my bed. It can be a sickness definately.

The leave idea is nice, but sorta bad time of year for that one around here.
The leaves in this area are turning and dropping, so most are already too
brittle. But I did just notice some flower bulbs that have just started
growing that I am will give me some nice texture. They are really long, so I
am even thinking on weaving a few of em and seeing how that applies to the
clay.

Old October 23rd 04, 11:31 PM
Meridith Davis

thanks, I will try that. I will be throwing soon also, so rollers like that
would work nicely on the wheel.

Old October 23rd 04, 11:33 PM
Meridith Davis

"Raj V" wrote in message
I've used leafs and grass to good effect. Some of that long ornamental
grass. Cockle burrs. Used a pine cone. Broken ends of sticks. Wax resist

is
nice. Paint your pattern with melted wax and use a damp sponge to lightly
remove what is not covered. The contrast of the groggy and smooth surfaces
is nice. There are just a zillion possibilities. Go wild. Your imagination
is the only limiting factor. I think the rice problem is overblown, but

with
so many other possibilities available, use something else.

Have fun,
Raj

Old October 23rd 04, 11:35 PM
Meridith Davis

On the contrast point, I have thought of making a thin clay mixture and
painting it on for texture and design.

Old October 23rd 04, 11:39 PM
Meridith Davis

I hadn't thought about using bark. I might play around with that some and
see how that turns out. Thanks

Old October 24th 04, 12:20 AM
Slgraber

years ago a TV commercial showed their hand lotion used to re-invigorate an old
dry leaf. i wonder if that works? old dry leaves look like they have a richer
texture. and as they rot out they expose those inner fiber veins. they'd make
interesting fossils.

steve

Old October 24th 04, 01:52 AM
Meridith Davis

yeah they would. Will have to try lotion on one and see if that works.

Looking for patterns or ideas Warmhands General Crafting 1 February 17th 04 06:44 AM
Fun with Texture Lindsay MacArthur Pottery 42 February 12th 04 06:26 PM
Carving Texture & Fur Jim Carving 4 November 26th 03 04:59 PM
Texture Dewitt Pottery 7 September 3rd 03 10:30 AM