Blue Ribbon, Swollen Head

Old October 25th 07, 04:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Default Blue Ribbon, Swollen Head

I'm so swelled up with pride we'll have to open the double doors just to get
me in and out of the house. We'll need a king-size bed and will have to
borrow Rusty's bloomin' quilt just to be able to rest my Big head.
Did I win a blue ribbon? Nay. Better, better, better than that.
The neighbor that I have been teaching to quilt has won a blue ribbon
the first time she entered competition. Well. What's so great about that?
I'll tell you. (You knew I was.)
The dear winner had been convinced by her very negative family that she:
had no creative ability, Never finished anything she started, that she was
messy, lazy and had no self-discipline or talent. They insisted that her
investment of time and $s was just one more silly passing whim and she could
never learn to quilt or do anything well.
I am just so honored to have been able to teach her And to slowly and
with great tenacity to also teach her self- esteem and pride. I didn't even
have to resort to violence. Well, not many times. How sweet it is. Polly

Old October 25th 07, 04:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
marigold

Congratulations Polly, to you and your student!
The boost to her self esteem is worth far more than the ribbon!
She is lucky to have you for a friend.

Marilyn
in (it's snowing!) Alberta, Canada

Old October 25th 07, 04:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Until I met her, I had never realized what an obstacle in life it would be
to grow up in a negative family. If someone tells you that you are stupid
and lazy day after day, you believe them. I was blessed with parents and
teachers who believed I could do anything.
I could.
Got away with most of it. =) Polly

Old October 25th 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

What a lucky student! To be mentored by our wonderful Polly is a gift many
of us would like to have. Congratulations to the student AND the teacher.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old October 25th 07, 04:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

I would modestly blush, Kathyl, but I'm still giddy with happy. We can not
mentor everybody that needs a lift but sometimes we can make a difference
with one. Ah. Happy Day. Yesssssssss! Polly

"KJ" wrote What a lucky student! To be mentored by our wonderful Polly
is a gift many
of us would like to have. Congratulations to the student AND the teacher.

"Polly Esther" gleefuly bragged I'm so swelled up with pride we'll have

Old October 25th 07, 05:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
maryd[_3_]

That's the kind of story I LOVE to read. Congrats to you and your neighbor.

--
Mary
http://community.webshots.com/user/m...host=community

Old October 25th 07, 06:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

)
Ms Polly,
i've known you had that ability for the longest time.
i'm refer'n to the boost'n of self esteem in particular.
often just how you reply to a post here it comes out in
subtle ways,
maybe others didnt notice but i sure have.
Polly, you're the bestestestestest in my book.
i sure wish i lived on the other side of you.
are there pix online anywhere for us to drool over?
hugz to both of you,
jeanne

"Polly Esther" wrote...

Old October 25th 07, 08:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti S

Polly, what a wonderful treasure she found in you! I don't suppose her
family feels foolish, but..... I bet she went to sleep with a smile on
her face, and will walk with a wee bit of a spring in her step.
Congratulations to her, AND to you. How marvelous!

Patti in Seattle

Old October 25th 07, 08:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

That is truly wonderful Polly.
We often joke about 'enabling' here, and this is the most wonderful
example of enabling someone to turn around, completely, the way they can
live their life.
I'm so glad for your student - she will never forget this occasion - and
deeply happy for you.
Please pass on my congratulations to your neighbour. She has been
through a lot and *achieved*.
..
In message , Polly Esther
writes
[...]