Breast Cancer/OT

Old April 30th 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Breast Cancer/OT

.... for some reason I didn't sent the email addy to subscribe to the BC
support group - finished a banner late last night and I'm more goofy than
usual today. Any who - here it is....

be sure and write "SUBSCRIBE BREAST CANCER" in the body of your email.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"SNIGDIBBLY" wrote in message
Depending on the chemo your oncologist uses you will lose all or part of
your hair (some shave off the thin wispy stuff) on or about the 15th day
after your first treatment. I had a bilateral mastectomy in 10/97 and
then in 01/98 started 4 rounds of Adriamycin (sp?) and lost all my hair 15
days after the first treatment. My scalp became itchy and tingly and then
it just fell out. I then had 8 rounds of CMF (a cocktail of 3 types of
chemo) and then 1 year of tamoxifin and 3 years of femara. My hair
started growing back about 6 months after my last adriamycin treatment.
It came back very thick and very curly at first (they call it a chemo
perm) but then it relaxed and kept a permanant wave. I am native american
and have always had chronically straight hair so this was a nice bonus. I
recently grew it out and donated 16 inches to the program that makes wigs
for kids with cancer. I wear it short now and have to have it thinned each
time I have a hair cut. Each person is different and is effected
differently but don't think that you will never have hair again. During
my BC journey I received a lot of information and support from an on line
BC support group that comes from a university in Montreal. They were
wonderful and I don't think I would have made it without them. You sign
up for it sort of like the yahoo groups and the posts come in like email
to your mail box. Here is the info and link to subscribe: Users of
e-mail can also subscribe to a breast cancer electronic mailing list.
Breast cancer patients, their family and friends, and health professionals
discuss issues of concern through email messages. To subscribe send e-mail
to the listserv and write SUBSCRIBE BREAST-CANCER in the text of the
message.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"pami" wrote in message
I am sure all you have heard Daniel Powder's song..."Bad Day" well this
was my bad day. I learned I have breast cancer. I had my lumpectomy this
week and it came back as malignant garde 3 tumor. I will have to get a
"masectomy" and have chemo. This has been a rough day for me but I don't
think I have the strength to cry anymore. I know I will lose my hair and
this really sucks but if I have to do this to keep alive then I will have
the surgery and do chemo. I will settle for chemo hats verus hair for
life. I'll be 51 in May and this seems not fair but I get my mammos yearly
and watched and it could of been worse. Last year I had a lumpectomy in
the other breast and that was benign this year my luck ran out. I see and
hear of so many survivors and I know this group has always been here for
me when ever I needed them.
Pami

Old April 30th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Pami, you are in our prayer chain at church. Our prayer warriers will keep
you in the prayer chain for as long as needed.

--
Boca Jan
Southern Florida - land of the hurricanes

Old April 30th 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

When my hair started to fall out it was about shoulder length. I had my
hairdresser cut it in a cute short style. When most of it was gone I looked
like I had a Homer Simpson do. He took care of what was left and we did it
in the back room of the shop, because I said if I took my wig off, I was
going to say out loud, "What kind of perm did you give me!" LOL. Most of
the time I just did scarves or went natural. I only wore the wig to go out
to dinner or office things. It all grew back and came in curly and grey. I
had been coloring for so long, that I didn't realize how grey I really was.
Think positive and we are here for you.

Linda in Tx

Old April 30th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

A note to add to this.

I hope everyone is on the auto-notice to "click on the button" on the
breast cancer site (I think it is breastcancersite.com). I signed up
and get a daily e-mail to remind me to go and click to fund free
mammograms. This doesn't cost anything to you, and is a long running
program to fund mammos to those who cannot afford them.

Pati, in Phx

Old May 1st 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Pami, I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this. I'm sending
hugs and prayers your way.

Mika
http://community.webshots.com/user/mikasdrms

Old May 1st 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

My dearest Pami -

When I read your message the tears started rolling before I finished the
paragraph! I am so sorry that you'll have to deal with the crap that
comes with a breast cancer diagnosis!! Thoughts, prayers and good
vibrations are winging their way to you!!

My mom, her sister and their mom all have been diagnosed with - and
treated for - breast cancer. Each has survived. (Well, my grandmother
passed away in '88, but not from anything to do with breast cancer...she
never got a prosthesis either - always had one of my grandfather's
handkerchiefs in her bra - said it was just the right size...)

My mom was diagnosed in '91 and had a radical mastectomy (got a wig
which was MUCH grayer than her own hair...so I think a wise decision to
go with caps!! You KNOW what their color is going to be, and so much
brighter!!!) She had another occurrence of breast cancer in '96 with a
second mastectomy. The real interesting thing was several months after
she had healed from the reconstruction, she got a postcard from her
doctor's office reminding her to come in for her mammogram!! :-P

Oh, and Mom's cancer diagnoses? '91 I graduated with a Bachelors
degree, '96 I graduated with a Masters degree...decided I couldn't go
back to school because I didn't know what else I'd "DO" to her!! (She
had a hysterectomy last year, so it might be safe if I want to go back.)
;-P

So...think of all the "funnies" that you'll have to look back on!! My
heart is with you, Pami!!! (I'd give you my breasts, but they don't
have a great genetic track record...!)

Sue in Ithaca, NY

Old May 1st 06, 12:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

So sorry to hear your news.

(((Hugs)))

You can do this. A poem I sometimes look to to bolster my determination
when things are tough:
http://www.bartleby.com/103/7.html

I've no doubt that your soul is unconquerable too. Thinking of you.

--
Jo P
Malvern UK

Old May 1st 06, 02:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In message ann5g.38733$_z2.13151@dukeread02, Pat in Virginia
writes

Pati Cook wrote:
A note to add to this.
I hope everyone is on the auto-notice to "click on the button" on
the breast cancer site (I think it is breastcancersite.com). I signed
up and get a daily e-mail to remind me to go and click to fund free
mammograms. This doesn't cost anything to you, and is a long running
program to fund mammos to those who cannot afford them.

.

Could you post a link to this please, as I haven't been able to find it
so far.
Thanks