Knots to keep someone busy?

Old December 10th 03, 03:23 AM
iwillinvent

Default Knots to keep someone busy?

Hello. I would like to create something to keep someone busy while I
work. I'm thinking of a piece of cord with a number of knots in it
that he can work on untying. I don't want him to be frustrated, just
challenged by this. I am a knots novice: Which knots would be good
for this? Which material?

Any help you will give me on this diversion will be appreciated.

Amy
Old December 10th 03, 05:39 AM
Jason Lowe

What about teaching him to do simple three strand crown knotting? It is
fairly easy to do, and once you become good at it youcan create some really
neat stuff. I have some good illustrations showing the process of tying one
that I could scan in and send to you if you like. Let me know.

Cheers,
Jason
Also a novice knotter

om...

Old December 11th 03, 12:16 AM
Gordon Smith

On 9 Dec 2003 19:23:30 -0800, iwillinvent wrote:

I would like to create something to keep someone busy while I work.

How about a monkey's fist? You could put a "treasure" inside --
doesn't have to be anything fancy, maybe something different each
time. You could even do more than one shell around the core.

--
Gordon Smith (There's just one dot in my address.)
Old December 11th 03, 08:58 AM
josh buhl

Hi,

in addition to 3 strand crown, and monkey's fist, I can recommend the
task of just learning to tie say 10-30 of the most useful knots. there
seem to be plenty of lists around on the net. trying typing scout (or
scouting) and knot into google to get lists of practical knots.

-jb

Old December 12th 03, 04:20 AM
iwillinvent

Thank you all so much for your replies. It's all so much to digest.

I think I'd like to stick with untying knots, rather than tying them.
I'm also not sure about some of the knots listed. I'll have to look
them up for reference. I like the monkey's knot/prize idea. It goes
along with what I was trying to accomplish.

Any recommendations on the type of cord? Any other recommendations of
knots to untie? Thanks again for all the information so far.

Amy
Old December 12th 03, 06:56 PM
Gordon Smith

On 11 Dec 2003 20:20:39 -0800, iwillinvent wrote:

Any recommendations on the type of cord?

I've made monkey's fists out of 3/8-inch sisal and 1/4-inch braided
nylon.

Of those, nylon's the better option for you. Sisal holds knots too
well, since it's such rough stuff, and it sheds fibres and dust.

It can be awkward to untie knots in nylon, though; it's so smooth that
fingers can't always get a good grip on it. And nylon is a little bit
elastic, so even though it's slippery it can still lock up pretty good
if you make the knots very tight.

Although I haven't used cotton for monkey's fists, I think that might
be your best choice. It's rough enough for a good grip, and it
doesn't shed.

--
Gordon Smith (There's just one dot in my address.)

AD - Busy in the Great Black Swamp tonight!!! Tinkster Beads 1 December 20th 04 06:47 AM
need help with knots Pandi Beads 3 March 22nd 04 07:11 AM
Busy Bead Lady... Arondelle Beads 4 February 16th 04 04:58 PM
How to properly dress & set knots Jeff Buoy Knots 4 September 12th 03 07:00 PM
Knots Dr. Sooz Beads 0 July 17th 03 12:11 AM