Orientals

Old March 21st 07, 01:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

Default Orientals

Does anyone else have an addiction to Oriental fabric? I can't keep my
fingers off it, and I have a bunch. My problem is I can't cut into it. I
haven't seen a pattern that I think will lend itself to the lovely prints
except for panel quilts.

Anyone out there like me?

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

Old March 21st 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Nope. The Oriental prints don't say a word to me. Probably because they
don't seem to lend themselves to ducks, bunnies and choo-choo trains. Could
be that. However, do save your scraps if you ever take courage and cut
them. The leftovers are great in a 'one day' crazy quilt. Polly

Old March 21st 07, 02:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alison

On Mar 21, 9:49 am, "Boca Jan" wrote:
Does anyone else have an addiction to Oriental fabric? I can't keep my
fingers off it, and I have a bunch. My problem is I can't cut into it. I
haven't seen a pattern that I think will lend itself to the lovely prints
except for panel quilts.

Anyone out there like me?

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricaneshttp://community.webshots.com/user/BocaJan

....me too, and I share your hesitance to cut into most of them. I have
a rather large stack at the back of my cutting table which is
threatening to fall over of all Asian fabrics. That being said, I have
a Hidden Wells WIP that is mostly in Asian fabrics - 8 of them to be
exact - which I am dying to finish.

Also check out 9 - Patch Pizzazz by Judy Sisneros for some interesting
ideas using Asian fabrics; also the Japanese Charm by Denise McKenna.
She teaches at one LQS near me, in fact the quilt is on display there
just now and they are doing classes on it over the next month or so. I
believe her patterns are available on-line. This pattern makes use of
7 1/2 " squares to show off the beauty of the prints.

Alison

Old March 21st 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"Boca Jan" wrote:

Does anyone else have an addiction to Oriental fabric? I can't keep my
fingers off it, and I have a bunch. My problem is I can't cut into it. I
haven't seen a pattern that I think will lend itself to the lovely prints
except for panel quilts.

Anyone out there like me?

Jan, I *love* oriental prints! I'd started a collection a few years ago
with absolutely no plan in mind, but I ended up using a lot of them in a
sweatshirt jacket I made (second one down at
http://home.earthlink.net/%7Esfoster1/misc2.html#jackets) and more not
too long ago in a Hunter's Star quilt (at
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1/starquilts.html#Hunter). I've been
trying not to buy more right now, but I'm weakening....

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
Old March 21st 07, 03:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

I like that book! I bought it - will be here Friday. If I can share any of
the patterns with you I would be happy to.

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes
http://community.webshots.com/user/BocaJan

oups.com...

Old March 21st 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jeri

Boca Jan wrote:
Does anyone else have an addiction to Oriental fabric? I can't keep my
fingers off it, and I have a bunch. My problem is I can't cut into
it. I haven't seen a pattern that I think will lend itself to the
lovely prints except for panel quilts.

Anyone out there like me?

me me me! lol
I adore them! I've been collecting asian/oriental books and wall hanging
patterns and I'm planing on using some in a quilt using the BQ pattern from
Maple Island Quilts. http://www.mapleislandquilts.com/quiltpatterns.asp
(NAYY)

So far I've been brave enough to make a couple of panels of Japanese Lantern
blocks to go with my dragon wall hanging. I love them but I used up all of
one fabric I had and I can't find any more. I can't imagine why I only
bought half a yard. What was I thinking!! lol
--
Jeri
"Change is inevitable, except from vending machines."

Old March 21st 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Oh, yes.
(Sorry about the drool.)
Roberta in D

Old March 21st 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers

yes and no, I think I only have one oriental fabric that is not part of a
quilt, there are 11 different fabrics in one quilt though! I do love them,
but I'm trying to be disciplined and not buy things! The one problem I find
with oriental fabrics is they all seem to be medium value, which lends
itself fine to some designs, but not others.

Anne

Old March 21st 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carissa

I am so addicted its not funny lol. Two more pices arrived yesterday. I
have yards and yards of asian fabric and no clue what to do with it. I am
afraid to cut it The only thing I ever made was the wall hanging faux
window for my brother out of an asian panel lol Help me

Carissa (off to browse for more, I cant help myself)

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/Elywyn
Butterflies are not insects, they are