Note to DH's and us too

Old December 25th 09, 03:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
GrammyKathy[_2_]

Default Note to DH's and us too

When you go to the store to get punkin pies be sure to read the box
and not just look at the picture, you could be getting Sweetpotato
pie. My DH brought home 2 of them so had to go back to the store to
get punkin, I usually make them from scratch but not this yr.
Shoulders won't take the rolling out the pie dough or the noodles.
love both home made. Oh well. Everyone have a very Merry Christmas
and Happy New Year.
Old December 26th 09, 06:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Kathy, I have never in my life made an acceptable pie crust. I hate
doing it and I think my attitude just makes the crust either fall
apart or turn into cement. As a result, I buy the crusts in the cold
case, ready to unfold and put into a pie plate. Then I make my pies
from scratch the way I like to. I don't make pies or cakes or cookies
often. DH is trying so hard to eat healthy and stay trim and fit. But
at Thanksgiving I make two pumpkins and for Christmas I make one batch
of cookies and one other treat. This year it was pecan pie from
scratch, made with walnuts rather than pecans. Yum. But no rolling out
pie dough for me. You might like making your pies again, using the
ready made crusts so you don't have to hurt your shoulders. Save
yourself for quilting!

Hugs,
Sunny
Old December 26th 09, 07:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
GrammyKathy[_2_]

On Dec 26, 12:52*am, Sunny wrote:
Kathy, I have never in my life made an acceptable pie crust. I hate
doing it and I think my attitude just makes the crust either fall
apart or turn into cement. As a result, I buy the crusts in the cold
case, ready to unfold and put into a pie plate. Then I make my pies
from scratch the way I like to. I don't make pies or cakes or cookies
often. DH is trying so hard to eat healthy and stay trim and fit. But
at Thanksgiving I make two pumpkins and for Christmas I make one batch
of cookies and one other treat. This year it was pecan pie from
scratch, made with walnuts rather than pecans. Yum. But no rolling out
pie dough for me. You might like making your pies again, using the
ready made crusts so you don't have to hurt your shoulders. Save
yourself for quilting!

Hugs,
Sunny

The only reason I wanted bought pies this time is because I was just
to tired and hurt to much to make them from scratch.
Old December 26th 09, 10:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

I hear you there, Kathy. I ceded all the cooking for Thanksgiving and
Christmas to DH and sons except for the pies (three total, two pumpkin
at Thanksgiving made at the same kind because Costco only sells the
gigantic can of pumpkin) and the walnut pie for Christmas. This is a
hard task. I am a control freak and like things done my way. But you
know, they did a great job and they were quite proud. DH 1 has now
become the go-to guy for all mashed potatoes in the household. DH 2 is
a pretty good cook. He likes to eat and usually those of us who like
to eat realize young that we better like to cook, too. I am glad the
holidays are over for another year. Too many expectations and too
little control of the world in general. Now we can all take a breath,
get somebody else to put away the tree stuff and start thinking about
Spring. I know it's months off yet, with the coldest part of winter
ahead, but the sun is coming back our way and just knowing that gives
me a great lift.

Sunny
Old December 27th 09, 02:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

On Dec 26, 12:52*am, Sunny wrote:
Kathy, I have never in my life made an acceptable pie crust. I hate
doing it and I think my attitude just makes the crust either fall
apart or turn into cement. As a result, I buy the crusts in the cold
case, ready to unfold and put into a pie plate.
Hugs,
Sunny

Actually, pie pastry is very simple to make, and takes very little
effort! The more you roll it the tougher the crust is. Right after
college I got a job working in a state mental hospital doing
activities with the patients. A very sweet and completely nuts little
old lady taught me to make pie crust, and now mine is so good -- very
light and flaky -- that my pies are in great demand for church
dinners! The key is to handle it as little as possible.
Old December 27th 09, 04:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Actually I was taught very young that the trick to good pie crust is
to handle it as little as possible. So I buy it in a box, unroll it
gingerly from the cellophane and ease it onto the pie plate with
forks.

;-)

Sunny
Old December 27th 09, 06:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Note to DH pie crust

I can play the pie crust game from every direction. My best favorite good
trick is this.
Heat you oven to 300° more or less.
Put a cookie sheet in the oven to get warm.
Put the pie crust on a lovely pie pan/dish of your own. The tacky,
store-bought aluminum foil one will not do. We're trying to look home made
here.
Take a pastry brush (if you have one) or just your fingers and paint the
pie crust with a beaten egg white.
Put the painted piecrust (pastry, if you will) in the oven on the warmed
cookie sheet for about 5 minute. Remove.
Viola / Voila!
The egg white will act sort of like varnish and keep the pie crust from
getting a case of soggy bottom when you put the filling in and bake.
And - a recent lesson from our precious Alton Brown: let a pie cool for
at least 5 hours for all the magic to happen and a filling to set. In '08,
my pecan pie turned to syrup, we cut it too soon. AB is one smart cookie.
Polly

Old December 27th 09, 11:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Yes I must think about spring - I still have some tulip bulbs to plant -
things just got in the way or it rained/snowed/froze whenever I did have
time. Its dreadfully late to plant them now, but I'm sure they will come
up eventually.

Thats the first job as soon as the visitors leave - if it doesn't
rain/snow/freeze!

Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sallyattheseaside/

Old December 27th 09, 01:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

You are right about giving it time to set. Made a cherry and a pumpkin
the day before, and they were much better! Of course, this only works
if there are plenty of other goodies to distract DH. He is a pastry
vulture.
Roberta in D

Old December 27th 09, 03:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria[_2_]

I think making pie crust is all about putting your time in
and learning from making them over an over. I make an
awesome pie crust but there really is no way to do a low
fat one. Sure you can do the oil ones but they are just not
ever going to be great. I do pies on rare occasions now
but sure appreciate them when they are around. A good
pie crust is worth doing it from scratch. We had pumpkin
custards instead of pumpkin pie the other day. Tasted ok,
still heavy on the cholesterol but I kept feeling someone
had stolen the crust!
Alton Brown is my hero. Kathy A. was a huge fan too.
Taria

DH's latest idea DrQuilter Quilting 39 August 27th 04 05:26 PM
OT - DH's V-day! Helen C Beads 12 August 15th 04 07:44 PM
OT - How DH's surgery went Jalynne Quilting 8 June 18th 04 06:33 PM
OT - How DH's surgery went Jalynne Beads 8 June 18th 04 02:59 AM
DH's Southwestern WUH Queen of Squishies Quilting 14 January 26th 04 05:55 PM