Note to DH's and us too

Old December 29th 09, 02:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

Default oil in pie crusts....was pie crust & quilts

I tried fat-free half-and-half and it was really good over sweetened berries
and with oatmeal, etc. I'm sure it would be great in a quiche, too.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

"Taria" wrote in message
It's a trade off jeanne. I've made them. They are what
I would call 'serviceable. Sure they work but they just
are not what you expect when you get a great flaky
pie crust. They are a lot healthier but I think just going
a route other than pies for dessert is the way for me.
Quiche is tough because you have a lot of dairy. Once
again you can use low or fat free but is isn't going to
have the taste you would expect if you are used to
good eats. I am trying to learn to adjust what is
acceptable but golly it is tough. Might help if
I had high cholesterol or needed to lose weight.
We eat really well here. Not a lot of food out or
prepared stuff so we are spoiled.
Please report back with your results and share?
Taria
"J*" wrote in message
now i'm off googling pie crusts with oil rather than
lard/shortening/butter/margarine.
i found one made with olive oil for a vegetable quiche.
you put the oil into the freezer to solidify somewhat first.
looks good and seems easy enough and would be healthier if it tastes as
nice.
other oil recipes used oil and milk together and add that to flour/salt.
again easy enough. might have to try one of those soon.
off to find some more info on this type of crust.
j.

Old December 29th 09, 02:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

If you want quiche to taste full fat when making it with fat-free
milk, use skim canned milk. I use it for gravy, sauces, you name it
using skim canned milk. No fat, but man o man is there richness. I
think the calories aren't the best, but the fat's not there.

Sunny
Old December 29th 09, 02:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lelandite

Default pie crust & quilts

Ever try making pie crust with vinegar and milk? the best!

Donna
in WA

Howdy!

Same here, Judy. Oil or shortening makes a great crust,
if you know how to make great crust. G I taught my mom how to make
pie crust, oil, butter, shortening (never lard). She sold her very popular
pies at the local café where she worked (most popular was her lemon merigue,
made w/ the huge lemons from s.Tx. groves). I think the secret is/was to
just take the time to learn to make a great crust.

Meanwhile, back at the quilt ranch:
http://www.equiltpatterns.com/quiltp...roducts_id=129
http://home.howstuffworks.com/apple-pie-quilt-block.htm

http://pieintheskyquilts.com/

R/Sandy

On 12/27/09 8:16 PM, in article , "ME-Judy"
wrote:

Gosh, Taria, I'll have to disagree with you about using oil in pie crusts
G. I use canola oil. The trick I learned is to roll it out between two
sheets of wax paper.

[ Lay the bottom wax paper going the long way in one direction, put down the
crust, and lay the other wax paper going in the other direction. so that you
end up with the wax papers making a square in the center!]

Roll the dough to the edges of the square part -- well, to make a circle,
you don't roll it all the way out to the corners - just to the flat sides.
Take off the top sheet, turn the dough/bottom wax paper over and put it on
the pie pan. Gently press down. Then gently peel off the 2nd wax paper
sheet. Voila!
ME-Judy

"Taria" wrote in message
I make an awesome pie crust but there really is no way to do a low fat one.
Sure you can do the oil ones but they are just not ever going to be great.

Old December 29th 09, 02:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

Donna, please don't leave us hanging! The recipe, purdy please?

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old December 29th 09, 03:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

hmmm, i see your point on the flakiness.
its those wee bits of solid shortening (no matter which one) that make it so
flaky.
i do love the pastry in a good fruit pie.
so now i'm of two minds if i even wanna bother making oil pastry even once
to try it out.
i'll have to ponder that a while i think.
j.

"Taria" wrote ...

Old December 29th 09, 09:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Howdy!

Cool!

Happy New Year!

http://www.associatedcontent.com/vid...uilt_pattern.h
tml

R/Sandy

On 12/28/09 4:14 PM, in article ,
"Gen" wrote:

"Sandy E" wrote in message
Howdy!

http://home.howstuffworks.com/apple-pie-quilt-block.htm

-Thanks for this one. Our guild challenge for Feb.is placemats
incorporating a heart----perfect. The finished placemats will go to meals
on wheels to be delivered on Valentine's Day
Gen

Old December 30th 09, 12:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default Note to DH pie crust

Thanks for the advice, Polly. I filed that in my Food file. Hope I remember
to check it next time I buy ... er, 'make' .... a pie crust. We had a
wonderful home made coconut pie in a store bought shell .... delicious!
But, next time I will try your advice. Ta,
PAT in Virginia

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
I can play the pie crust game from every direction. My best favorite good
trick is this.
Heat you oven to 300° more or less.
Put a cookie sheet in the oven to get warm.
Put the pie crust on a lovely pie pan/dish of your own. The tacky,
store-bought aluminum foil one will not do. We're trying to look home
made here.
Take a pastry brush (if you have one) or just your fingers and paint
the pie crust with a beaten egg white.
Put the painted piecrust (pastry, if you will) in the oven on the
warmed cookie sheet for about 5 minute. Remove.
Viola / Voila!
The egg white will act sort of like varnish and keep the pie crust from
getting a case of soggy bottom when you put the filling in and bake.
And - a recent lesson from our precious Alton Brown: let a pie cool
for at least 5 hours for all the magic to happen and a filling to set. In
'08, my pecan pie turned to syrup, we cut it too soon. AB is one smart
cookie. Polly

..

Old December 30th 09, 01:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NanaWilson

How 'bout those pie shells already in the pan. Now I know it is an aluminum
pan BUT,I pre bake them just a bit till they are firmed up & transfer them
to my better pie pan. Fill 'er up with filling of me choice & no one knows
the difference. (Unless I tell them!)
Nana not cheating just short cuttingg

.

Old December 30th 09, 09:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
P Y[_2_]

Hello
Would you please tell me your moms recipe for lemon pie. I serioulsy
have been looking for about 6 months for one like my gramma's who lived
in Alabama all her life, I cant find one any where near hers Maybe your
moms might be the one I am looking for. T. I. A

P-Why

p. s. you may email it to my addy if you please.

Old December 30th 09, 10:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
P Y[_2_]

Default TO SANDY E. ~Moms Pie Crust

Hello
**Would you please tell me your moms recipe for lemon pie. I
seriously have been looking for about 6 months for one like my gramma's

DH's latest idea DrQuilter Quilting 39 August 27th 04 05:26 PM
OT - DH's V-day! Helen C Beads 12 August 15th 04 07:44 PM
OT - How DH's surgery went Jalynne Quilting 8 June 18th 04 06:33 PM
OT - How DH's surgery went Jalynne Beads 8 June 18th 04 02:59 AM
DH's Southwestern WUH Queen of Squishies Quilting 14 January 26th 04 06:55 PM