The ideal yarn for baby blankets?

Old July 31st 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Padishar Creel

Default The ideal yarn for baby blankets?

As of late, there has been a rash of pregnancies among our friend's
children.

What would be the idea yarn (brand as well) for a baby blanket? I
have done one in cotton but it isn't very colorfast. One in a 75%
acrylic 25% wool blend but I am worried about pilling and allergies.
I like the Plymouth yarn offerings, as of late, but I am on the look
out for the ideal baby yarn.

Your thoughts, please...

Padishar Creel

Old July 31st 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Padishar Creel" wrote in message
oups.com...
As of late, there has been a rash of pregnancies among our friend's
children.

What would be the idea yarn (brand as well) for a baby blanket? I
have done one in cotton but it isn't very colorfast. One in a 75%
acrylic 25% wool blend but I am worried about pilling and allergies.
I like the Plymouth yarn offerings, as of late, but I am on the look
out for the ideal baby yarn.

Your thoughts, please...

Padishar Creel

Pure baby wool was always my preference but it seems to be quite hard to
find these days :-(

I know what you mean about the pregnancies though, whenever I was great with
child every other woman on the street seemed to be too!

Mary

Old July 31st 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Padishar Creel" wrote in message
oups.com...
As of late, there has been a rash of pregnancies among our friend's
children.

What would be the idea yarn (brand as well) for a baby blanket? I
have done one in cotton but it isn't very colorfast. One in a 75%
acrylic 25% wool blend but I am worried about pilling and allergies.
I like the Plymouth yarn offerings, as of late, but I am on the look
out for the ideal baby yarn.

Your thoughts, please...

Padishar Creel

How about a nice DK superwash merino? Or a cotton/superwash
wool blend (if there is such a thing).

My favourite on-line yarn store has superwash merino on sale
right now: http://tinyurl.com/3dusaz (NAYY)

Shelagh

Old August 1st 07, 12:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB

Padishar Creel wrote:
As of late, there has been a rash of pregnancies among our friend's
children.

What would be the idea yarn (brand as well) for a baby blanket? I
have done one in cotton but it isn't very colorfast. One in a 75%
acrylic 25% wool blend but I am worried about pilling and allergies.
I like the Plymouth yarn offerings, as of late, but I am on the look
out for the ideal baby yarn.

Your thoughts, please...

Padishar Creel

I use and LOVE Plymouth Colorspun worsted weight and use it for
sweaters.....just finished 2 Baby Sweater Surprise Jackets by E.Zimmerman
and they are lovely...nice and soft and the colors do not pool like some
variegated yarns. I have also made baby hats and they came out real nice
too.

Donna

Old August 1st 07, 10:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Cece

On Jul 31, 4:45 pm, Padishar Creel wrote:
As of late, there has been a rash of pregnancies among our friend's
children.

What would be the idea yarn (brand as well) for a baby blanket? I
have done one in cotton but it isn't very colorfast. One in a 75%
acrylic 25% wool blend but I am worried about pilling and allergies.
I like the Plymouth yarn offerings, as of late, but I am on the look
out for the ideal baby yarn.

Your thoughts, please...

Padishar Creel

My own preference for baby things is pure acrylic! Hypoallergenic and
easy to wash. Babies leak at both ends, and brand-new motherhood is
no time to have to learn proper care of wool; acrylic yarns can be
tossed in the washing machine and dryer -- no worries.

Brands? Red Heart is fine. Dawn was better, as is that other brand
from the company that bought and retired Dawn, whatever its name is.
The inexpensive stuff at Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's, WalMart.

Pilling? The higher the quality, the greater the pilling!

Size of yarn? Currently, you're stuck with worsted, maybe sport if
you'll be happy with those pathetic colors reserved for babies, the
colors that don't actually go with anyone.

Pattern? Any lapghan pattern will do fine, or even a smaller
rendition of a large afghan.

Cece

Old August 2nd 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Laura J

I have always liked Bernat Softee Baby for baby stuff. But, alas, the color
selection is pretty limited:
http://www.bernat.com/product.php?LG...eebaby&SPP=999 The stuff wears
well, starts out soft and gets softer w/ washing (I put it in the washing
machine & dryer with DD's other clothing - no special treatment whatsoever).

I also really enjoyed Dale Baby Ull superwash wool:
http://www.kyarns.com/dale-of-norway...ight-yarn.html
Downside is that it's 8 sts/" so if you need to knit something quickly, it's
not the best choice. I think I also heard a rumor that it was going to be
discontinued which is too bad. But maybe you can find some good sales.

As far as allergies go, unless you know that one of the parents (or other
family members) are allergic to wool or have a lot of other allergies, I
wouldn't worry about it too much. It is a pretty rare allergy, though of
course it does exist as we all know!

LauraJ

Old August 17th 07, 05:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Unless the baby is allergic , which doesn`t know before hand i stil
preffer thta natural threads over the many made threads ,,
mirjam

Old August 17th 07, 06:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Aaron Lewis

What do you like to knit? That is very likely the right fiber. Close your
eyes. What yarn feels good running through your fingers?Open your eyes.
What produces a gorgeous fabric?

Do not worry about soiling. I wash my wool all the time, besides it does
not seem to soil as fast as synthetics. Wool is much more fire retardant.

The synthetics are lighter.

Every fiber has its virtues. Use the virtues of what ever fiber you chose.

Aaron

Old August 18th 07, 02:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
coggietm

For babies I like cotton, Encore ( which is a mix) or straight
acrylic. These are mostly because the mom doesn't have to hand wash.
For acrylic , I do tend to use Bernat or Caron, as it is not as
scratchy as Red Heart IMO.
Coggie