Knitting Needles - my favorites

Old June 28th 07, 05:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Padishar Creel

Default Knitting Needles - my favorites

I think I have collected just about every kind of commercial knitting
needle that I can find here in the US. I love my bamboo straight
needles but I don't really care for the bamboo cable needles -- the
wood to cable link snags on my favorite yarns too much. I like turbo
needles, but they are a bit too slick if I haven't used them for a
while. I hate the aluminum knitting needles, but I love my aluminum
crochet hooks -- go figure? The plastic knitting needles (like
baleen) are okay but I still want something better. I still look for
the perfect material for needles. I strongly suspect I would
absolutely L-O-V-E knitting needles made from ivory, but I haven't
sprung for one of those. Have any of you tried ivory and if so, what
was your opinion. I realize that elephant ivory is a big no no, but I
think you can get them made from Walrus tusk or ???

Padishar Creel

Old June 28th 07, 09:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Padishar Creel" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

My husband makes bone needles, those who buy them think they're wonderful.
Their great property is that althugh they're smooth when new they become
more polished with use.

We wouldn't use any kind of tusk.

Mary

Old June 28th 07, 11:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Padisher like you i found that the Bamboo circulars arent well
attached to the plastic ,,,,
mirjam

Old June 28th 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

On Jun 27, 11:42 pm, Padishar Creel wrote:
I think I have collected just about every kind of commercial knitting
needle that I can find here in the US.

I'm partial to rosewoods - circulars and DPNs. I like nylon circulars
for working with slippery yarns that have a high silk content. My one
set of bone DPNs isn't doing much for me but I don't use them often
enough to really have an opinion.

Old June 28th 07, 07:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
The Other Kim

Padishar wrote:

I think I have collected just about every kind of commercial knitting
needle that I can find here in the US. I love my bamboo straight
needles but I don't really care for the bamboo cable needles -- the
wood to cable link snags on my favorite yarns too much. I like turbo
needles, but they are a bit too slick if I haven't used them for a
while. I hate the aluminum knitting needles, but I love my aluminum
crochet hooks -- go figure? The plastic knitting needles (like
baleen) are okay but I still want something better. I still look for
the perfect material for needles. I strongly suspect I would
absolutely L-O-V-E knitting needles made from ivory, but I haven't
sprung for one of those. Have any of you tried ivory and if so, what
was your opinion. I realize that elephant ivory is a big no no, but I
think you can get them made from Walrus tusk or ???

Personally, I'm against ivory of any kind, but that's just me. I've
been a bamboo devotee for a long time now. I like the control they give
me, and I fumble fewer stitches.

I've been converting my needles to Addi Natura circulars, just buying
them as I need them. The join on these is pretty smooth; I haven't had
any yarn catch at the join since I started using these a couple years
ago. The cable is absolutely kink-proof; I've tried and not succeeded,
and even my youngest, who loves to tie knots in my cable needles, hasn't
been able to get the cable to kink.

I also like the Addi lace circulars. So far I haven't actually used
them for lace, though. They're a bit pointier than my Naturas, and I've
used them for cotton yarns, which I have problems with when using bamboo
needles. They're brass and aren't as slippery as the Turbos. I
recently acquired some nice merino/silk laceweight and have the
Moonlight Sonata shawl planned - pattern available at Elann - so I'll
give these a try on actual lace.

I've recently accumulated a near-complete set of Crystal Palace bamboo
DPs that I am absolutely in love with. I only need to pick up size 1
and 1.5 and the set will be complete - woohoo!!

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom

Old June 29th 07, 01:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article .com,
Padishar Creel wrote:

I think I have collected just about every kind of commercial knitting
needle that I can find here in the US.

snip
The plastic knitting needles (like baleen) are okay but I still
want something better. I still look for
the perfect material for needles. I strongly suspect I would
absolutely L-O-V-E knitting needles made from ivory, but I haven't
sprung for one of those. Have any of you tried ivory and if so, what
was your opinion. I realize that elephant ivory is a big no no,
but I think you can get them made from Walrus tusk or ???

I once saw some knitting needles that ahd been carved from moose
antler tips (which are long and thin naturally). Since antlers
are thrown and regrown every year, they are renewable, like
fingernails. The needles were long and slender, and rather
expensive, and I suppose there wouldn't be a wide range of sizes,
but I still think they were pretty neat.

I've seen antique bone needles, too, and they are almost as
fragile as antique plastic needles. I'm pretty rough on needles
so I stick to metal and plastic.

=Tamar

Old June 29th 07, 03:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Richard Eney" wrote in message

I once saw some knitting needles that ahd been carved from moose
antler tips (which are long and thin naturally). Since antlers
are thrown and regrown every year, they are renewable, like
fingernails. The needles were long and slender, and rather
expensive, and I suppose there wouldn't be a wide range of sizes,
but I still think they were pretty neat.

We don't have moose in Britain and red deer antler don't usually come with
long or straight enough tines to make needles of a usable size but it's a
thought - he got a consignment of antlers yesterday to make dice, combs etc.
I'll suggest it. Antler is stronger than bone.

I've seen antique bone needles, too, and they are almost as
fragile as antique plastic needles. I'm pretty rough on needles
so I stick to metal and plastic.

Well, the antique ones might be but new bone ones aren't unless you put a
lot of sideways pressure on them. We always say that if ours break and the
bits are returned we'll send replacements. Then Spouse makes sewing needles
from the pieces, thus making more profit :-) It's only happened once.

Mary

Old June 29th 07, 03:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Richard Eney" wrote in message

I once saw some knitting needles that ahd been carved from moose
antler tips (which are long and thin naturally). Since antlers
are thrown and regrown every year, they are renewable, like
fingernails. The needles were long and slender, and rather
expensive,

.... forgot to say that they're expensive because of the work which goes into
them.

Mary

Old June 30th 07, 12:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Richard Eney" wrote in message

I once saw some knitting needles that ahd been carved from moose
antler tips (which are long and thin naturally). Since antlers
are thrown and regrown every year, they are renewable, like
fingernails. The needles were long and slender, and rather
expensive, and I suppose there wouldn't be a wide range of sizes,
but I still think they were pretty neat.

I told Spouse about antler needles and he's very keen to make some from the
consignment he's just received. It's not all suitable for what he wanted but
there are some long tines which will make good antler knitting and sewing
needles - thanks for the idea.

Mary

Old July 3rd 07, 10:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Richard Eney" wrote

I once saw some knitting needles that ahd been carved from moose
antler tips (which are long and thin naturally). Since antlers
are thrown and regrown every year, they are renewable, like
fingernails. The needles were long and slender, and rather
expensive,

... forgot to say that they're expensive because of the work
which goes into them.

Of course. The ones I saw had little flat ends where the tine
had come out from the wider antler; that part was carved into a
tiny leaf shape.

=Tamar

Knitting needles Pat Grant User Yarn 14 January 26th 06 11:56 PM
DPN knitting needles for sale (double-pointed needles) marilyn safier Marketplace 0 October 5th 05 07:41 AM
F/A: Patons Forever Favorites, knitting pattern book, NR! N S Marketplace 0 September 5th 05 05:48 AM
F/A: Patons Forever Favorites, knitting pattern book, NR! N S Marketplace 0 September 5th 05 05:48 AM
Handmade Knitting Needles Shirley Luton Yarn 12 November 11th 03 07:24 AM