Hand quilting frame

Old May 15th 07, 06:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline

Default Hand quilting frame

I bet John has one half quilted already

Pauline
Northern California
"Patti" wrote in message
That's really lovely. Isn't that cherry wood a gorgeous colour.
I'm sure you'll enjoy hand quilting - but, you'll have to be prepared for
it to be slow. Judging by the speed you have done everything else so far,
you might have to give yourself a little talking to in preparation!
.
In message . com, John
writes
Ok, after much thought I have decided to try once again to hand quilt
a few quilts. I have exhumed the beautiful cherry hand quilting frame
that I bought when I first started this madness. It was made by a
local 80+ year old craftsman who has since passed away. I tried to get
up and running with it a couple of years ago and didn't have much luck
with the methods that I assumed were necessary at the time having come
from a needlepoint background. Now with a better understanding of the
requirements to hand quilt I will be attempting to get this phase of
the sport firmly within the grasp of this rapidly aging brain. I
visited some Amish quilt shops this last weekend and was inspired with
the beautiful work that they have done with just a needle and thread.
I have ordered some longer poles to allow the fitting of a queen size
quilt to be made within the frame and also another set of poles that
are shorter for use with crib/lap sized quilts. Another thing I am
going to attempt is machine freehand quilting on a Grace machine
quilting frame. Not for awhile though, as the hand quilting frame set
up takes up all the space that I have in the quilt room. They both
break down and can be stored when each is not in use. I guess the
thing is to never get complacent about your skills, and always be
willing to challenge yourself. I am now looking forward to bringing
this fine piece of equipment back into the light of day from the dark
recesses of the black hole of the attic. The repository of things that
didn't go quite as you planned. Wish me luck. Here is a picture of the
frame as it emerged from the attic storage with the shorted poles in
place.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...00692635wCyIDw

John

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old May 15th 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

That is a beautiful frame. I noticed that its a 2 roller frame. Will
you still have to baste the quilt? I've been quilting on a Hinterberg
floor frame for years. I love the thing. I guess what I love most is
I don't have to crawl on the ground to baste a quilt. It takes a
little getting used to hand quilting with a stationary frame. I had
to learn to quilt with my thumb so I could sew in all directions.
Good luck. I look forward to reading about your progress.

Here's a picture of a quilt on my frame. Currently I am doing a Jane
Stickle (Dear Jane) on the frame. Luckily I have the room where I can
keep it up all the time. It sure does take up alot of space.
Susan

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...58679714MYyWJj

Old May 15th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On May 15, 8:52 am, wrote:
That is a beautiful frame. I noticed that its a 2 roller frame. Will
you still have to baste the quilt? I've been quilting on a Hinterberg
floor frame for years. I love the thing. I guess what I love most is
I don't have to crawl on the ground to baste a quilt. It takes a
little getting used to hand quilting with a stationary frame. I had
to learn to quilt with my thumb so I could sew in all directions.
Good luck. I look forward to reading about your progress.

Here's a picture of a quilt on my frame. Currently I am doing a Jane
Stickle (Dear Jane) on the frame. Luckily I have the room where I can
keep it up all the time. It sure does take up alot of space.
Susan

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...58679714MYyWJj

OK, that's it. Now I have frame-envy. You must have *wonderful* light
while you're quilting-
not only from the attached lamps, but the natural light from the
window.
I have a Ma-Ingalls-era quilt frame that hangs from the ceiling. :-(

Sherry

Old May 15th 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Good golly that was a fun tour of your quilt room, house, quilts and
all. You have done some beautiful work. To see the hand quilt frame,
the machine frame and all the stuff to go with seems what quilting as
is about. Not just one thing but a little of everything.
Wow. I am inspired. Thanks for sharing.

John, What a wonderful quilt frame. It is such a nice piece of
furniture in itself. I hope you enjoy quilting on it.
Taria

Old May 15th 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I always wanted a Ma ingalls hang from the ceiling quilt frame Sherry.
All the rooms I could use one in have fans in the way though. I think
it is a neat look even if it isn't as handy as some of the fancy frames.
I am jealous of Susan's space too though : )
Taria

Old May 15th 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

What a beauty! That would look really good in the living room with a quilt
on it.
Roberta in D

ups.com...