Kenmore problem

Old May 22nd 05, 02:40 AM
Mira

Default Kenmore problem

Hello, my sewing machine decided not to work and I'm in the middle of sewing
a skirt. It made noises so I thought it's dirty and needs oil so I cleaned
and put oil. Still making noises and I can tell the problem in the hand
wheel. I cannot turn the hand wheel anymore. When I'm sewing, it stops and
I have to move a bit to continue sewing. My DH tried to fix it but he broke
the screws, now my machine is officially broken. It's a Kenmore model 12814.
Just curious, what would you think the problem is?

He'll buy me a new one and I need your help. What brand would you recommend
in the price range of $150-$300. I prefer machine that does overlock serge
also if there's such a thing. I'm kinda leaning on White model 955 but I
would like to know more of your recommendations. I do mostly apparel,
quilting and some homedecor & crafts. Which brands are good brands to have?

Thanks,
Mira

Old May 22nd 05, 05:47 AM
Mira

My DH opened the machine and the belt is fine. Needle and bobbin is fine
also though the handwheel is having a problem when I was sewing the skirt.
But it is making a lot of noise that he had to stop me from breaking it
more. Handwheel is working fine when threading the bobbin, not in sewing
though.

The screws that he broke was inside the machine after you open the face
cover plate. There's this *thing* (sorry I can't say in proper english) that
moves when you move the handwheel. It's the screw from this thing that he
broke.

He wants to throw it in the garbage, I want to have it repair though I do
not know how much the repair will cost. Or donate it to somewhere else where
they can fix it themselves, is there a place like this? I want it fixed and
keep it for other purposes.

Would anyone recommend good machine for the price range $300-$500? choosing
is overwhelming so I would like to hear good recommendations. Is White model
955 a good one? Are White, Brother good brand? Costco.com has sewing
machines, are they good or is it better to get machines in sewing store?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Mira

"IMS" wrote in message
Is it a squeaking noise? Could be the belt is worn or has broken.

The symptoms also suggest that while the handwheel may not move, the
problem may not be the handwheel at all, but with something else that is
jamming up movement and thus preventing the wheel from turning. Usually
problems center around the 'business' end of the machine - that is,
bobbin and needle area. SUch as a bit of needle breaking off and
getting wedged behing the hook...such a problem could definately jam up
movenemt.

Which screws did your DH break? Screws are usually replacable from SM
repair shops and certainly less expensive than a new machine.

-Irene

Unless it's a problem with the belt (if the machine is belt driven),
most problems happen at the business end, that is, the hook/bobbin area.
For example, a bit of needle breaking off and wedging itself behind the
hook.

On Sat, 21 May 2005 20:40:01 -0500, "Mira" wrote:

[...]

--------------
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
--Mae West
--------------

Old May 22nd 05, 12:41 PM
George Moran

There was a thread here recently -- "Beginner's Sewing Machine" was the
title, I think. You should read that.

Basically, many here believe --- and I agree with them -- that a good used
machine is a better bet than a new, cheaper machine. I see you've increased
your range of price up to $500. I suspect you can find a used Bernina,
Viking or Pfaff for that price, or slightly higher.

I started with a Singer (circa 1985). I was pretty happy with it for the
first six months, but, over time, it wouldn't hold the tension, the stitches
weren't coming in straight, and it would end up being an exercise in
frustration every time I sewed. I had sticker shock when I decided to buy a
better quality machine, but it has been worth every penny. I have had two
Bernina machines, and the Janome 6500. The Jamone is a good machine, but I
think, for you, I'd recommend the Bernina 125. The Jamone is relatively
new, so I suspect that it would be out of your price range, and the Bernina
is one tough little machine! Many stores have demos of these, or people
will trade them in for other models. It is a wonderful machine, with some
decorative stitches, and it doesn't hesitate at all when going from two
layers to eight (which I had to do recently on a star quilt, and the Janome
balked).

Look online for a Bernina dealer near you and call to see if they have any
used ones for sale. Then go out and take a test drive. I think you'll be
amazed at the difference in quality.

Good luck.

Sheila

Old May 22nd 05, 08:05 PM
Dixie Sugar

Well, I'm definitely not an expert and mostly lurk but, check down under the
bobbin. Sounds like thread hung up in there.

Dixie

Old May 26th 05, 03:40 AM
Mira

Thank you all who responded to my inquiry. We went out today checking
machines that you all suggested. Bernina 125 is discontinued and I didn't
check out the Janome 6500, but they showed me another model. So far, we've
seen Janome 3050, Bernina Activa 220 and Brother Pacesetter NX-200. Brother
Pacesetter & Janome features are almost the same (Janome has 50 stitches and
Brother has 49). Both are made in Taiwan but I do not know which of these
brands are better. Bernina Activa is another option though a bit pricey. As
of this time, we chose Bernina & Janome and would like your input/review
before we decide which one to get. By the way, we'll go to other places to
check Pfaff & maybe Singer. Husqvarna is out of my price range.

Thanks again,
Mira

"Mira" wrote in message
[...]

Sears Kenmore 2142 / 1750 manual available [email protected] Sewing 2 March 12th 05 05:45 PM
Kenmore Monogrammer #41704 CarolTeo Sewing 1 November 6th 04 05:09 PM
Kenmore Monogrammer Tom Farrell Sewing 6 November 2nd 04 02:27 PM
Janome problem joysjane Quilting 8 September 20th 04 07:30 AM
Fiskars, was Rotary cutter problem - revisited Jennifer Hepworth Quilting 2 July 21st 03 04:53 AM