Coton a Broder Tkt 16

Old September 16th 04, 05:10 PM
Mira

Default Coton a Broder Tkt 16

Hello. I would like to start a Blackwork fan frm New Stitches magazine issue
70. This project calls for a 5 skeins of white Coton a Broder. My question,
what is this skein? I never heard of it. Is this different from Pearl
cotton? How much each skein cost?
Thanks,
Mira

--
http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn

Old September 16th 04, 05:36 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Coton a Broder (embroidery cotton or broder cotton) can be purchased at:
http://www.lacis.com for $1.55/skein in all the sizes.

You will need to know what size broder you need. It comes in 12 to 40.
By your subject header, you are looking for size 16?? If so, that is
often referred to, in the U.S., as "Brilliant Cutwork Thread" and is
more readily available than the smaller sizes. You can find Size 12 and
16 at: http://www.herschnerrs.com

Hope this helps.
Dianne

Old September 22nd 04, 07:54 PM
Mira

Hi Dianne,

As always, you're very informative. This is why I always come here if I have
questions. There are a lot of helpful stitchers here. Many thanks for the
info, I better buy them though as DMC are discontinuing them (I read from
the website)

Mira

Old September 22nd 04, 09:14 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

I just looked and saw that DMC no longer lists the No. 12 & 16 broder
threads. Guess I should stock up!! Thanks for the heads up. I am so
disappointed with this news. Europe and Australia has them. The USA
gets the short shrift. Not enough designers know about them nor use
them. We lost the colors last year.

Dianne

Old September 22nd 04, 11:34 PM
Ducatijane

Mira, I'm a design consultant for Coats Crafts UK (Anchor), these threads are
still in use in the UK. Check out Janet Haigh's new books, White on White and
Colour on Colour. Both are referenced. Any probs, get in touch with me!

Regrds, Jane

Old September 23rd 04, 03:20 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

And the explanation for having to purchase overseas when there is a
market in the U.S.?? I've been trying to get these threads wholesale
for 8 years to no avail, including contacting Anchor directly. How do
you teach, design, use if you can't get them readily?

Dianne

Old September 25th 04, 09:59 AM
Janet M. Davies

I prefer the Anchor over the DMC Cotton-a-Broader. It tends not too
fluff as much.

Design a great day,
Janet - New Zealand
http://www.jmddesigns.co.nz
http://www.jmddesigns.co.nz/mosaic/
Old September 25th 04, 02:47 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Janet Davies wrote:

I prefer the Anchor over the DMC Cotton-a-Broader. It tends not too
fluff as much.

Well, at least you have it available!!!! Argh!!!

I've used both and don't find a difference. I have huge hanks of DMC
No. 40 broder which I purchased from Italy, as well as the normal skeins
of Anchor.

We can get all these sizes here in the states, but it's *very* hard to
find. And with DMC discontinuing 12 & 16, my heart is sinking.

Dianne