a new development in Scotland

Old April 1st 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Environment choices O.T. a new development in Scotland

O yes, when I see kids behaving excellently, I always thank them and the
parents for said behavior. Always. I'm not saying a kid shouldn't be a kid
and have a good time, but they can do it quietly, without screaming,
throwing tantrums, throwing FOOD, etc.

"Kellie J. Berger" wrote in message
on another note... it does wonders when a well placed stranger commends
your children on being good out in public! Especially when the praise
goes straight to the kiddos and not thru the parents.
Been on the receiving end and the giving end and watched the effects on my
kiddos.

(and seen how it affected another child who was not being nice at a nearby
restaurant table when mine were singled out for praise)

-- Kellie
kjbeanne at yahoo dot com
www.kjbeanne.com/kellie.htm

"Jan" wrote in message
. 125.201...
Man.... Kid with metal spoon and tray would make me want to do mean
things too vbg And you don't have to pop them, but you do have to
have an effective incentive. vbg And they know how long they can
push you .... mine comes with a very short time vbg So if you have a
short and nice threatening time with an effective incentive... you're
in. In our case it's usually you will loose a toy or privilege and we
will get up and leave immeadiately. And of course if she wants to
leave.. I'm sunk .. and that happened only once before I caught on.
I've also been known to loudly say, that child is an example of how you
should never ever behave loudly enough that the parent will hear it and
take action..... but, I'm very tired of all kids becoming targets of
older people in restaurants just because they are young. It is reaching
epidemic porportions and it's wrong. You have to be able to take your
child out to teach said child right from wrong. And if the adults are
behaving badly, I'll use them as bad examples too.... because rudeness
never teaches good behavior... it just shows that the rude adult has no
manners either.

--
Jan
RCTQ Coffee Diva

Taria wrote in news:ShfXf.19$e11.1@trnddc02:

I can take a lot but when the mom hands a spoon to a kid that is
sitting at a metal tray type high chair I want to do mean things. : )

We took our kids a lot of places and they were usually very good.
I had my niece and nephew out to a take out place once and he decided
he was going to throw a fuss. I told him I was hungry and I was
eating. (I was, actually always am) If he wanted to throw a fit he
could go do it in the car alone. He shut up and started eating. Boy
was I glad cause I had no back up plan!

I told one woman in the post office once "clearly the only ones
listening to you is the rest of us, not your kid. My mother would say
that kid needs popped" The kid seemed to know the mom had no
intention of making him behave. I'm probably lucky I didn't get shot
but everyone in the place was glad to shut the mom up as much as the
kid! Odd, I don't remember being beat or even really 'popped' I guess
mom was good at threatening!
Taria

Jan wrote:
And if you never take her out, how will she learn?? I'm sooooo very
sorry that happened Dr. Quilter!!! We take Jess everywhere with us.
How would she learn to behave in public if we didn't????? And I'm
thinking as honery as Sandy is, her kids probably had their loud
moments too..... hmmmm... vbg

Old April 1st 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT Children in Restaurants [was Environmental...]

We just got home from a mini-vacation. This morning's breakfast was in the
hotel - very fancy schmancy Hyatt Regency. The waitress commented several
times how well behaved the kids were. (Spike scolded me when I suggested
that we "keep" the fancy glass her smoothie was served in) Then on to the
go-kart place, where the kids entertained themselves while DH and I raced.
Again, comments on their behavior. I'm so proud! :-D

--
Wendy
De-STUFF email address to reply
"Sandy Foster" wrote in message
In article ,
Kate Dicey wrote:

If you are a parent, you have a duty and a
responsibility to civilize your offspring.

Amen. We started taking our two DDs to restaurants when they were babies
and only had to leave one once. The DDs knew better than to be on
anything but their best behavior when we took them anywhere because we
weren't afraid to tell them what the rules were and to enforce them.

I get so tired of parents who won't insist on good behavior in public.
Even in a casual restaurant with booths, we will frequently have to put
up with children peering over the back of the one they're sitting in,
throwing things into our booth. It's enough to ruin the appetite. :S
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education

Old April 1st 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article ,
"frood" wrote:

We just got home from a mini-vacation. This morning's breakfast was in the
hotel - very fancy schmancy Hyatt Regency. The waitress commented several
times how well behaved the kids were. (Spike scolded me when I suggested
that we "keep" the fancy glass her smoothie was served in) Then on to the
go-kart place, where the kids entertained themselves while DH and I raced.
Again, comments on their behavior. I'm so proud! :-D

--
Wendy
De-STUFF email address to reply

And you should be! Congratulations!

Old April 1st 06, 05:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Ditto...... if any of our children had to be taken outside for a
"talking-to" they knew they were in big trouble. They learned very early on
what a quiet voice was and when it MUST be used.

--
Mary

Old April 1st 06, 10:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Another thing that really gets to me are children who interrupt when
you are talking to their parents - often by jumping up and down and
pulling at parent's sleeve - the parents stop the conversation to talk
to the child (on a completely unrelated subject) while you stand there
hopefully waiting to hear the end of the story you were being told.
Absolutely no reprimand - the child is in complete charge.

We have a friend's daughter who still does this at 18, tho she doesn't
jump up and down any more! What has always surprised me is that her
mother is a teacher, but the crowd control obviously doesn't go as far
as home!

Come to think of it, some of the assistants at my LQS are the same
(tho they don't jump either!)

--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)

Old April 1st 06, 11:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

And rightly so. I would so love to meet your family, Wendy.

From the observer's point of view, I always make a point of going to a
table where the children are beautifully behaved with a - usually one -
parent and telling them how lovely it was to see their children being so
good. One mother had to leave the table to go and find something the
children needed (they were about 6 and 4). They simply sat and chatted
quietly to one another. Later I said my little spiel to the Mum - and
she almost cried. She had recently been left by her husband and was
bringing them up on her own. She was just so very encouraged by what I
had said. We had longer chat than my usual ones in this context, but I
think she went home happy. And the 6 year old (a girl) had the most
glorious smile on her face when I went away!
..
In message , frood
writes
We just got home from a mini-vacation. This morning's breakfast was in the
hotel - very fancy schmancy Hyatt Regency. The waitress commented several
times how well behaved the kids were. (Spike scolded me when I suggested
that we "keep" the fancy glass her smoothie was served in) Then on to the
go-kart place, where the kids entertained themselves while DH and I raced.
Again, comments on their behavior. I'm so proud! :-D

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old April 1st 06, 11:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

We took our eldest DD (about 2 at the time) to a time out in the hallway
outside the toilets (bathrooms) in a chinese restaurant one time because she
wouldn't behave. No audience except an angry dad and five minutes later she
came back good as gold.

quicker)

Old April 1st 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Batik Freak wrote:

........ Children are like
puppies, they have to be trained. Part of that training is correction.

Before DD had "R", the SMDGD, she thought I was being horrid when I
told her this! She has since changed her attitude -- LOL! There is
absolutely noting wrong in teaching children that there are different
behaviours required for different social situations! There is one set of
manners for home, another more stringent set for restaurants, another
even more stringent set for church, etc.
Last year when was in Lizard Land, I took "R" (who was 2) out to
lunch with me to meet my friend Tammy at The Cheesecake Factory. "R"
was very good at first, as was to be expected. Then she got a bit
cranky and she got her first warning. The second warning came when she
got a bit "smart" mouthed with The GrandMother (me). The third and
final warning (she's allowed three and ONLY three and she knows it) came
when she started pulling the cheese off her fourth piece of pizza and
threw it on the table. At that point, I told Tammy I would be right
back and I literally yanked "R" out her booster seat, stuck her under my
arm like the squirming animal she was, made my way to the ladies room,
sat her on the changing table and gave her what for! I asked her if she
wanted a smack and she said no. I asked her if she *deserved* a smack
and she and yes! Then I told her I was VERY embarrassed by her
behaviour in a public place and was ashamed to have people know that
such a poorly behaved little girl was MY DGD. She apologized and said
she would be a "good girl" and gave me a hug. When I told her she would
have to apologize to "Tia Tammy" (my friend), well, *that's* when she
began to cry -- LOL. She knew she had been very naughty! When I
carried her back to the table I asked her if she had something to say to
Tia Tammy. "R" hung her head and in a very tiny voice said "Sorry".
THAT was not a proper apology so I told "R" that she needed to look Tia
Tammy in the eye and apologize in a Big Girl voice. She did so and
received a big hug from me and a nice Thank You from Tia Tammy.
Old April 1st 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

No dinner conversation allowed??? I would never go back to that place -
ever again. What is more charming than the chatter of a child? I eaves
drop on such chatter all the time and it always makes me smile.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"DrQuilter" wrote in message
sandy,

we were asked to 'make sofia be quiet' in a japanese bistro the other day.
this is not a fancy place, just a little place in a strip mall close to
our home. there were other kids about her age. sofi was not missbehaving,
screaming or yellling, she was just talking, but she has this loud
sometimes high pitched voice when she is excited, and talks up a storm. we
left, because there is no way I could control how much or how she talks
and enjoy dinner...

Sandy Ellison wrote:

Howdy!
I find it just about as annoying to sit near screaming, yelling,
out of control children

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)

UK (Scotland, specifically) Gem/Jewellry Trade Shows CeM Jewelry 2 May 19th 05 04:24 AM
OT - Back home in Dundee, Scotland Johanna Gibson Quilting 60 September 25th 04 06:49 PM
Quilting in Scotland ejaycee Quilting 9 May 11th 04 02:37 AM
Looking for Jo in Scotland Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 3 October 21st 03 02:06 AM
Shops in Glasgow Scotland? Jacco Burger Needlework 2 August 29th 03 03:24 PM