more eyepins, can i make them into head pins??

Old July 10th 03, 02:58 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

Default more eyepins, can i make them into head pins??

Sure - just use a mini butane torch to melt/ball up the end and clip of the
loop at the top.

--

Barbara
www.penguintrax.com

eBay: pnguintrax
Justbeadsenguintrax

0
/O\

"alia" wrote in message
om...
i would like to make them into head pins, can i do that? is it
possible??

alia

o, and re the size, i am not sure yet, i think 3 and 4 mm, 1 3/4 and
and 2 inches respectively...

alia

Old July 10th 03, 11:53 PM
alia

lol, o sure... just use a butane torch!!! hey, man, not all of us do
lampowrk eh? so where do i get a butane torch from?

alia
Old July 11th 03, 12:02 AM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

Home Depot - the mini ones will run you about 19.99 and you can also use
them in the kitchen to melt sugar on the top of your creme brulee!

--

Barbara
www.penguintrax.com

eBay: pnguintrax
Justbeadsenguintrax

0
/O\

om...

Old July 11th 03, 12:38 AM
Kandice Seeber

Can we do this with a soldering iron? I have one of those.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs
"Deirdre S." wrote in message
The hardware store. Look where the plumbing supplies live. Or the
soldering irons, etc.

Deirdre

Old July 11th 03, 03:48 AM
Deirdre S.

I doubt it gets hot enough, but you could certainly try. The melting
point of the kind of solder they are designed for is a lot lower than
for silver.

I was just using soldering irons as a way to point geographically to
the likeliest spot in the hardware store to find a small torch. Both
soldering irons and torches are used by plumbers, and they usually
hang out in the same place in the DIY stores.

Deirdre

Old July 11th 03, 09:23 AM
alia

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...hippingPayment

what about this one, is this one any good?

alia
Old July 11th 03, 04:25 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

Actually, it's very easy to do and rewarding and gives an organic look to
the work. I make my own pins all the time, especially when I have to turn
the items into charms and conventional headpins aren't long enough for the
loop wraps I want to do. By making my own, I can make them as long as I need
to. Plus, using very thin wire (22/24 gauge) I can make headpins that fit
pearl holes w/o having to enlarge the hole in the gem.

Besides, there is something therapeutic about sitting there in front of the
boob-toob with a pile of headpins and handful of steel wool, polishing off
the firescale!

--

Barbara
www.penguintrax.com

eBay: pnguintrax
Justbeadsenguintrax

0
/O\

"Kalera Stratton" wrote in message
In article ,
(Barbara Otterson) wrote:

I hace to say that I cannot imagine it being worth the effort, unless
you are just INCREDIBLY bored and desperate for something to do.

For the price of the butane torch, you could just buy some SS head pins!

--
-Kalera
Mom of Juliet, 5, Sam, 3, and Ophelia, born 5/31/03
See us at www.strattonhome.org

Old July 13th 03, 06:39 PM
SuzanneHye

Here's another idea...Sometimes when I want to make a pendant and need to use a
long piece of wire (no headpin would be long enough) I make the end into a
paddle by using my ball-peen hammer on an anvil. I just flatten the end. Then
I pull the paddle as far as it can go into the bead, and nip off the end that
still sticks out. Be sure to use a file to smooth the end if necessary. With
an eyepin, you could just nip off the eye and go from there.
Suzanne Hye

Suzanne Hye, Owner
HYE ON BEADS
formerly Henrietta's Beading Supply Co.
P.O. Box 6244
Monroe Township, NJ 08831
732-605-0300/1-800-325-3918
fax 732-656-1066
On eBay visit my sto Hye on Beads
Seller I.D.: vintagesuzanne
Free Price List & Brochure
Call and stop by The Bead Studio when you are in our area!
Full service beads and supplies,
class & workshops