OT - Had to brag

Old May 24th 09, 02:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dianne Lewandowski

Default OT - Had to brag

It's official. Parker has passed and is certified with Therapy Dogs
International. We're so proud of him. I was especially proud when - at
a psychiatric hospital - he sat and lay calmly and sweetly as a crying
patient just hugged and petted for what seemed like forever.

He'll be two in July. Kinsey is coming up behind him at 7 months. We
didn't make it through beginners class, he kept breaking his stay. But
he heels much better than Parker, who would rather be a spaniel and
sniff everything in sight.

Dianne
Old May 24th 09, 04:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote in message
It's official. Parker has passed and is certified with Therapy Dogs
International. We're so proud of him. I was especially proud when - at a
psychiatric hospital - he sat and lay calmly and sweetly as a crying
patient just hugged and petted for what seemed like forever.

He'll be two in July. Kinsey is coming up behind him at 7 months. We
didn't make it through beginners class, he kept breaking his stay. But he
heels much better than Parker, who would rather be a spaniel and sniff
everything in sight.

Dianne

WooHoo!! That sounds like a lot of fun was had by all. Great therapy for
the patients, for the dog and I would guess for you.

I never thought about doing that when Puff was a puppy.

Old May 24th 09, 08:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:
It's official. Parker has passed and is certified with Therapy Dogs
International. We're so proud of him. I was especially proud when - at
a psychiatric hospital - he sat and lay calmly and sweetly as a crying
patient just hugged and petted for what seemed like forever.

He'll be two in July. Kinsey is coming up behind him at 7 months. We
didn't make it through beginners class, he kept breaking his stay. But
he heels much better than Parker, who would rather be a spaniel and
sniff everything in sight.

Dianne

Congrats to canine and human handlers! What a wonderful gift!

The concurrent threads on tea cozies and therapy dogs puts me in mind of
Laura Childs' "tea" mysteries - anybody else read them? The detective
owns a tea shop in Charleston and has a therapy dog. They're fun to read.

http://www.laurachilds.com/

Sue

--
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Music
Old May 24th 09, 09:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

Susan Hartman wrote:
Dianne Lewandowski wrote:
[...]

I read one of them some years ago, after it was mentioned here. I had
forgotten all about it until now. I shall have to put her name on my
list for the library or the used Paperback Bazaar.

Are you familiar with a website called fantasticfiction.com? If you find
an author you like, you can get a listing of all his/her books. It is
also broken down into series...such as "Anna Pigeon" books by Nevada
Barr. Or the J.A.Jance books, separated into the different series. I cut
and past them into Word, and then carry the little lists with me.

Gill
Old May 24th 09, 10:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dianne Lewandowski

anne wrote:
In this program, do you accompany Parker on his rounds or will he go to someone
who needs his services?

The owner/handler must be with the dog at all times. It can actually be
quite stressful for the dogs and for the patients. A therapy dog does
not "assist" but is there to simply bring comfort. There's another
designation for dogs used in disaster relief, which I'm thinking about
doing as well. Again, simply for comfort. But the personality has to
be there and the requisite skills.

Lots that you don't think about, such as food lying around and the dog
has to ignore it. Bloody bandages, wastebaskets full of interesting
things. These dogs have to learn to ignore it all and be gentle.

Therapy dogs also assist young children in reading. It's quite
interesting what they learn to do. This is just the first in a few more
steps for Parker. A great outlet for me, as well. Thanks for asking.

Dianne
Old May 25th 09, 01:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote
It's official. Parker has passed and is certified with Therapy Dogs
International. We're so proud of him. I was especially proud when - at a
psychiatric hospital - he sat and lay calmly and sweetly as a crying
patient just hugged and petted for what seemed like forever.

He'll be two in July. Kinsey is coming up behind him at 7 months. We
didn't make it through beginners class, he kept breaking his stay. But he
heels much better than Parker, who would rather be a spaniel and sniff
everything in sight.

Well done Parker and well done you for giving the time and patience to train
him. These visits can make such a difference to people, giving them comfort
and something to be interested in. Bless you.

Dawne

Old May 29th 09, 07:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 5/24/09 9:02 AM, "Dianne Lewandowski" wrote:

It's official. Parker has passed and is certified with Therapy Dogs
International. We're so proud of him. I was especially proud when - at
a psychiatric hospital - he sat and lay calmly and sweetly as a crying
patient just hugged and petted for what seemed like forever.

He'll be two in July. Kinsey is coming up behind him at 7 months. We
didn't make it through beginners class, he kept breaking his stay. But
he heels much better than Parker, who would rather be a spaniel and
sniff everything in sight.

Dianne

Congrats to all of you. Lots of work and time - but such a worthwhile thing
to do.

Now I have to think about the spaniel comment - mine would rather love
everyone in sight, but, well, yup - he does sniff a lot.

Ellice

AD & Brag starlia Beads 12 June 30th 04 05:32 PM
?AD (more of a brag, really) and a big THANK YOU! Georgia Beads 10 June 29th 04 04:06 AM
Quilt Brag Marcella Tracy Peek Quilting 10 September 23rd 03 10:35 PM
Have to brag starlia Beads 11 September 19th 03 04:03 AM
OT- Brag: My favorite Kid Beadbimbo Beads 27 August 11th 03 06:52 PM