Oldest UFO?

Old June 8th 10, 07:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary in Rock Island IL

Default Oldest UFO?

The quilt I started in my first class in 1985 remains unfinished. I
am not yet ready to say it will stay that way. It is a sampler quilt,
the fabrics are rust, brown, peach and possibly some others I am
forgetting.

Mary
Old June 8th 10, 07:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_2_]

I think I have a Lone Star (unfinished) in those same colors with a little blue added in. Hmmmm, I know that
one was from a class at least 12 years ago!
--
Louise in Iowa
nieland1390@mchsi dot com

Old June 8th 10, 09:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_6_]

I agree! Just say you *planned* it that way the entire time... no one
but you will know .

-Irene

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 22:28:43 -0500, "Leslie& The Furbabies in MO."
wrote:

Louise posted that she'd finished a quilt that was 7 years in the making.
I'm curious how long we hold onto UFOs before they get finished or declared
'unfinishable'?

I have my very first quilt top- queen sized- with a bit of hand quilting in
the center. I made the top- finished the whole thing- in 1989. I'll never
finish the quilting because life and then arthritis got in the way. Pat on
her green suggested I remove the hand quilting and MQ the whole thing.

Maybe some day. ;-)

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...ome-and-garden

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old June 9th 10, 01:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MAD Quilter in Atlanta

My oldest is 20 years, but it's not my fault. My DH wanted me to make
him a quilt in "bright colors". He couldn't describe what he meant by
"bright" so I took him along to the LQS. He selected the colors and I
selected the sampler blocks. Turned out "bright" meant yellow. Yes,
the color that's hard to work with and not a color I've had a lot of
experience with, being a blonde.

When I'm about 5 blocks away from being done for our full sized bed,
he decided we needed a queen sized bed. Toss in a huge remodel of the
house and making the needed blocks for a quilt sized bed took a back
seat. Then his company laid off 95% of the workforce (in the middle of
the remodel) and we moved several states south.

At some point after the move I unpack the pieces of the "bright" quilt
and start to work on it again. I'm excited because I only have 3
blocks to go and....can you guess what's next?! Yep, he decided it's
time for a king sized bed! At this point all I can do is look at him
and say "If you even think about a California King, I'll divorce
you!"

Two more job related moves and the quilt is still unfinished. Only 2
blocks to go and it matches the new master bedroom perfectly so
"Mike's Amoeba" may be completed soon.

Best part of this whole thing is that even though the quilt has grown
I've never run out of any of the fabrics I've been using to make it.
VBG

MAD Quilter in Atlanta
Old June 9th 10, 04:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cindy Schmidt

Hey MAD quilter -

What area are you in in Atlanta/ Anywhere near Woodstock??????

--
Cindy from GA
(but wants to be in MO)

Old June 9th 10, 02:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_2_]

I'd sure like to see this when you're finished with it! And the next time DH asks you to make him a quilt, I
think you should think in terms of a lap quilt!
--
Louise in Iowa
nieland1390@mchsi dot com

Old June 10th 10, 02:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Trixie[_2_]

I've made 40+ bed-sized quilts in the 7 years I have been quilting, but my
one and only UFO is an appliqué wall hanging from 6 years ago. I got it
about 3/4 done and was simply stumped as to how to finish it. And I guess I
am still stumped.

Trixie

Old June 10th 10, 02:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Well, for goodness sake, Trixie. Show it to us. We'll give you some
suggestions and you can ignore us. But - just maybe one idea will spark
your own creativity and get you going. Polly

"Trixie" I've made 40+ bed-sized quilts in the 7 years I have been

Old June 10th 10, 04:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

This is a fun thread to follow. G Thanks for starting it Leslie.

I have lots of PHDs (projects half done, prefer that to UFO.....
grins)
my oldest is not a quilt, but a dress I cut out while I lived in
Tucson. It will probably never get assembled, I think I know where it
is, and I may turn it into just a skirt at some point. But.........
As for quilts, the first quilt I ever pieced is still not quilted. It
was a mystery class and I did finish the top, but it needs
"something". I think it needs some applique added to it but not sure.
It will eventually get finished up, but not sure when.
Things that I am making just because seem to have gotten lost in the
shuffle of class samples, store samples and so on. Working on getting
that straightened out in the next few months.

Pati, in Phx who has lots of projects to finish up.

On Jun 7, 8:28*pm, "Leslie& The Furbabies in MO."
wrote:
Louise posted that she'd finished a quilt that was 7 years in the making.
I'm curious how long we hold onto UFOs before they get finished or declared
'unfinishable'?

I have my very first quilt top- queen sized- with a bit of hand quilting in
the center. *I made the top- finished the whole thing- in 1989. *I'll never
finish the quilting because life and then arthritis got in the way. *Pat on
her green suggested I remove the hand quilting and MQ the whole thing.

Maybe some day. *;-)

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...yF?vhost=home-....

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old June 11th 10, 05:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
-dlm. in Central MA

On Jun 7, 11:28*pm, "Leslie& The Furbabies in MO."
posed a query regarding the age of UFOs...

Great topic Leslie! I've enjoyed reading about everyone's UFOs. I
currently have 5 UFOs. My oldest UFO is a toddler sized quilt
( larger than a cot/crib quilt, but smaller than a lap quilt ) that I
started 12 years old. The top is a machine pieced rainbow coloured
quilt. After piecing the top and adding a sizzle strip and two
borders, I removed the strip and wonky/wavy borders and then threw the
top in a pile to work on later. Unfortunately, later never happened.
Now that DD#1 is 14 years old, I think it is a bit too late to finish
it.

BTW, I too have a quilt that is partially hand-quilted. The centre
has been quilted. I have too much completed to rip out the stitches,
but I know that I won't finish hand-quilting it. I'm way too much of
a perfectionist to mix and match quilting styles...what-to-do...what-
to-do. ( LOL )

- dlm.

OT - World's oldest dog, sad end Bruce Fletcher Needlework 3 January 14th 10 11:17 PM
Oldest UFO Pat in Virginia Quilting 33 March 22nd 08 07:01 PM
Oldest material Gramma Quilting 8 November 30th 04 09:29 PM
Oldest known beads found! Fitpix Beads 9 April 18th 04 08:33 PM
AD: Fund Raiser for My Oldest Son (Please Help!) Cecelia Medbery Rubberstamps 4 November 11th 03 12:04 PM