a wild idea for Hug blocks

Old February 3rd 05, 01:35 PM
Pat in Virginia

Well Jan, I always inspect my finished quilts very
carefully. In all humility, I must report they are
magnificent! The blocks come out all the same
size. The pressing is perfect. The colors are
exquisite. The quilting is fantastic and is a
perfect compliment to the piecing patterns. The
binding is wonderful. And then, I wake up.

Gotcha! PAT in VA/USA

Jan wrote:

Ok... I have to ask.... when you all do quilt blocks for your own quilts...
are they all the same size???!!! Mine vary a bit.... I'll confess.... and
I have to either reject, trim or fudge.... and that's all me... same
rulers, same sewing machine foot etc...... so really... fess up.... I can't
believe that every square is the same size for you folks.... lol..

Jan

Old February 3rd 05, 01:55 PM
nana2b

Funny Pat! As I was reading this I was saying to myself (who listens
better?) this woman lives in a dreamworld. Glad you woke up! Hugs, Linda
in Tx

Old February 3rd 05, 03:05 PM
Dannielle

My hug blocks have been averaging right around 7", that way they can be
trimmed by the HUG assembler to the exact size they require. I try to make
sure that trimming the excess won't ruin the design of the block, and I
usually remember to sign the block somewhere close to the middle so that
trimming and seam allowances won't take it off!

Dannielle

"Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply " wrote in
message ...
From: "frood"

I understand, having put together several HUGs myself. I don't think it's
the rulers that are the challenge. .... people should try
to do their best. I'm just worried that new Huggers might be scared off,

if
there are "restrictions" on which ruler they should use. ............

I think opne of the easiest ways to make putting a HUG together would

be for
the blocks to be sent **untrimmed**. The person doing the assembly could

trim
the blocks -- adding or subtracting that little smidgen that might be

necessary
to make it fit.
If you think about it, it's very difficult to trim your blocks with the
cutter at **exactly** 90 degrees to the ruler. If you lean just a hair

one way
or the other when trimming all 4 sides, you could end up with a block that

is
not precisely 6.5" -- even tho' that is the measurement you have trimmed

it to.
If the person doing the HUG assembly does all the trimming, all the

blocks
will be trimmed the same and there will be a better chance for them all

fitting
together properly.
As for the ruler, they aren't all created equal :-O !! That's why I

like to
have HUG blocks sent to me untrimmed. Just seems to make life a bit

easier
IMNSH :-)! CiaoMeow ^;;^
.
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties

their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!
Online Photos at
http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary

Old February 3rd 05, 04:50 PM
Sandy Foster

In article HMpMd.80435$Tf5.67874@lakeread03,
Pat in Virginia wrote:

Well Jan, I always inspect my finished quilts very
carefully. In all humility, I must report they are
magnificent! The blocks come out all the same
size. The pressing is perfect. The colors are
exquisite. The quilting is fantastic and is a
perfect compliment to the piecing patterns. The
binding is wonderful. And then, I wake up.

Gotcha! PAT in VA/USA

LOL! That's a good one, Pat! And I have to admit that not all of my
blocks always end up the same size, either -- I guess I get careless as
I stitch. As for blocks made by different people (swaps, etc.), I've
used various different kinds of sashing to "adjust" for that. A tiny bit
wider or narrower here and there is hardly noticeable, though the
easiest may a Twist 'n Turn setting. g

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old February 3rd 05, 06:27 PM
Queen of Squishies

I need to have a talk with my postman. I have yet to find fudge in one of
your Hug blocks, Pat.

Karen, Queen of Squishies
I want my fudge!

--

I make these oversize, about 7", to
allow fudge factor. It does NOT have points on the

PAT in VA/USA

Old February 3rd 05, 06:28 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
Stop! you're making me gag!!! VBG

...."It's only a dream, there's no place like home...."

Ragmop/Sandy--wouldn't want to waste that good chocolate,
gagging over Pat's Perfection ;-P

Old February 3rd 05, 06:54 PM
Bonnie

Another way to fudge is to do an applique block. The
background can be any size you'd like ;-)

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old February 3rd 05, 07:06 PM
handmaiden

Jan wrote:
Ok... I have to ask.... when you all do quilt blocks for your own quilts...
are they all the same size???!!! Mine vary a bit.... I'll confess.... and
I have to either reject, trim or fudge.... and that's all me... same
rulers, same sewing machine foot etc...... so really... fess up.... I can't
believe that every square is the same size for you folks.... lol..

Jan

oh heck no! I have some days where my brain just shuts down and I get
very interesting results.

On my last project, I thought "ok, I need 12 " 9-patches. Hmmm 12
divided by 3 is 4. Cut 4" squares!" My friend who asked me this question
saw me juggling three things and decided it was a good time to ask
anyway. Well, you know what happened... blocks were too small. Rather
than redoing them and setting that set aside for another project, I
decided to just add a border all the way around them and go for it.
Well, they are... interesting at least! With one person who is
absolutely new to sewing, and me trying to fix the problem, they came
out rather wonky, but we used them anyway. The whole thing was a little
wonky in the end and the recipient loved it anyway.

Of course, then there's HST's (*which I'm using now) and those are a
whole nother kettle of fish. Wow. Hate triangles.
~ handmaiden
Old February 12th 05, 06:05 PM
DrQuilter

I've been wondering about your post. I agree that it is a good idea and
that probably there would be less variation but I think most of that
would come from using the same ruler and not be related to the reason
you mention. I say this because the angle of the cutter relative to the
ruler can change every time you cut, so it would affect the assembler
too... unless that person is very systematic and you mean the error
comes from each of us having a different way of doing it, as opposed to
using a slightly different angle every time we make a cut?

Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply wrote:

I think opne of the easiest ways to make putting a HUG together would be for
the blocks to be sent **untrimmed**. The person doing the assembly could trim
the blocks -- adding or subtracting that little smidgen that might be necessary
to make it fit.
If you think about it, it's very difficult to trim your blocks with the
cutter at **exactly** 90 degrees to the ruler. If you lean just a hair one way
or the otfer when trimming all 4 sides, you could end up with a block that is
not precisely 6.5" -- even tho' that is the measurement you have trimmed it to.
If the person doing the HUG assembly does all the trimming, all the blocks
will be trimmed the same and there will be a better chance for them all fitting
together properly.

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out before replying)