OT any tatting snobs here?

Old December 12th 04, 05:48 PM
teleflora

"Valkyrie" wrote in message
news:1102848065.258510@yasure...
wished I'd had a Prozac lick on my end table

"Prozac lick". heehehehheheheheh.

I am sooooooo stealing that. hehehehehehheeh

Cindy

Old December 12th 04, 10:58 PM
Joanne Passmore

On 12/11/04 10:43 PM, in article
, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

It
would just be wonderful to give her some exquisite thread for her beloved
tatting - but I don't know exquisite from kite string. She's 87

I cannot answer the question but remember seeing my 94 year old aunt's
wedding dress- she "tatted" the entire dress (took her 3 years) while her
fiance was overseas during the war. She wore it over a full slip of the same
colour...exquisite! Every year she gives me a tatted Christmas ornament.

Old December 13th 04, 12:11 AM
Mystified One

Can you tat with toenails? g

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
k.net...
I'm having the same bout of mis-read. I was turning the pages in a quilt
magazine and read "toenails" instead of tonals. It could happen. Polly

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Now, why did I read this as *tattoing* snob? Must be late. ...Even seeing
who the poster was I couldnt help but think, is she considering a tatoo?
Maybe for the gators?
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too
"Polly Esther" wrote in message
k.net...
I have a precious, dear, elderly tatting fiend on my Christmas gift

list.
It
would just be wonderful to give her some exquisite thread for her

beloved
tatting - but I don't know exquisite from kite string. She's 87 so I

don't
imagine that we want the trigger-hair finest as in "fine/skinny/nearly
invisible" - but I would love to gift her with something that would be
lovely to hold and create with. It seems that it's never been mentioned
here - so maybe we don't even have a tatter - but if we do, please help

me.
Polly

Old December 13th 04, 12:52 AM
Diana Curtis

Tatooing snobs can.
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too

Old December 13th 04, 05:03 AM
Valkyrie

"Joanne Passmore" wrote in message
my 94 year old aunt's
wedding dress- she "tatted" the entire dress (took her 3 years)

OMG......being a tatter I can only imagine how she must have worked on that.
Do you have a picture you could post, I'd really love to see it. It took me
about 6 months to tat the bodice and all the trimmings and a tatted bonnet
for the Christening gown. I was going to tat a little 'evening bolero' to
wear over a dress I had but after first finishing the matching front lapels
I held them up and decided they'd make great cuffs for a cashmere sweater I
already had. Or I held them up and took a couple of licks off my block of
Prozac and decided they'd make good cuffs.....the chain of events is still a
little fuzzy ~sigh~

I tatted garters for my nieces when they got married. Those took about 30
hours each to complete. I made a second blue satin garter to slip under the
deep tatted lace ruffle so that was slipped off and tossed to the 'wolves'
instead of the tatted heirloom keepsake at the reception.

This thread (sort of a pun, huh?) has me thinking that I should tat some
assorted designs, mount them on some lovely silk squares and make a little
quilted lap robe. Gonna have to think on that for awhile.......I'm starting
to think.......puurrrrrrrrrrple silk.....hmmmm.

Val

Old December 13th 04, 05:35 AM
NightMist

Every now and again I do some tatting. It has it's advantages, I
think it's one of the best crafts for doing in a car.

I sometimes use the tatting thread from Joanns. I sometimes use some
of the thinner grades of crochet cotton. I have even used carpet
thread.
You might want to check the library, they do have books on tatting,
or at least mine does. If they don't, grab their copy of The
Encyclopedia of Needlecraft by Therese de Dillmont. That specifies
the color and size of threads for all the tatting patterns in the
book, usually with several alternatives, as were carried by DMC at the
time. So far as I can tell the DMC sizes haven't changed or at least
not so as to speak of. I know some of the threads she mentions in
there are not available anymore (or not here anyway), but anyplace
that knows their thread can usually help you find a substitute. I am
fortunate in that my copy of the book has a full listing with
illustrations as to all the different threads DMC carried at the time
it was published. Most of the tatting requires sizes that run from
heavy sewing thread to number 5 perl cotton.
A fancy finish midweight crochet cotton would probably suit very
nicely. A fairly tight spin and a smooth finish are the key things.

NightMist

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 14:28:40 +0100, "Roberta Zollner"
wrote:

Don't tat myself, but it can't be that different from bobbin lace. So what
about some nice linen thread? Maybe a size 30 or 40? It makes a beautiful
crispy lace and feels good too.
Roberta in D

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
nk.net...
I have a precious, dear, elderly tatting fiend on my Christmas gift list.

It
would just be wonderful to give her some exquisite thread for her beloved
tatting - but I don't know exquisite from kite string. She's 87 so I

don't
imagine that we want the trigger-hair finest as in "fine/skinny/nearly
invisible" - but I would love to gift her with something that would be
lovely to hold and create with. It seems that it's never been mentioned
here - so maybe we don't even have a tatter - but if we do, please help

me.
Polly

--
"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge
it, requires brains." -Mary Pettibone Poole
Old December 13th 04, 11:35 AM
georg

Valkyrie wrote:

"Joanne Passmore" wrote in message
my 94 year old aunt's

wedding dress- she "tatted" the entire dress (took her 3 years)

OMG......being a tatter I can only imagine how she must have worked on that.
Do you have a picture you could post, I'd really love to see it.

I'd love to see a picture too. I imagine if I was really worried and
needed something to do with my hands for 3 years, I might do something
similar. That's a lot of worry to put into a garment.

-georg
Old December 13th 04, 06:01 PM
Pati Cook

Well, Jane Stickle made a very intricate quilt..............

Pati, in Phx.

georg wrote:

Valkyrie wrote:

"Joanne Passmore" wrote in message
my 94 year old aunt's

wedding dress- she "tatted" the entire dress (took her 3 years)

OMG......being a tatter I can only imagine how she must have worked
on that. Do you have a picture you could post, I'd really love to see
it.

I'd love to see a picture too. I imagine if I was really worried and
needed something to do with my hands for 3 years, I might do something
similar. That's a lot of worry to put into a garment.

-georg

Tatting question Victoria Hirt Needlework 1 December 30th 04 10:46 AM
Pricing Tatting Westerly Needlework 6 November 24th 04 01:16 PM
Ebay: Just uploaded Crochet books, tatting shuttle, etc Marilyn S. Safier Marketplace 0 January 20th 04 05:03 PM