Country Quilt?

Old July 21st 04, 02:19 AM
Kellie J. Berger

or a Goose on the Pond block in blues and tans or in fall colors would be
nice....
could even use batiks and "non-country" prints....

-- kellie
bergerk at sbcglobal dot net
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ber....net/my_photos

"hfw" wrote in message
news
That definitely says "country" to me!

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

"Dr.Quilter" wrote in message
flannels... bears, moose.... log cabins.... get yourself a debbie mum

book.
not my style, but if it were, I would do one of her patterns. my dad

likes
her, thus he got a flannel quilt. Sth like this might work:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...92415406VtvyUf

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out before replying)
"Nurse Ratched" wrote in message
I have been asked to consider making a quilt for a recipient (who is

not
the
requester) whose decorating taste has been described as

"country/rustic".
don't care for or produce the kind of quilts that come to mind when

someone
describes their decor as "country". Anyone have any suggestions?

I've
already
asked for more specifics.
Nurse Ratched (remove "cuckoo" from address to reply)
I don't have to love George Bush to love America.

Old July 21st 04, 04:07 AM
Julia Altshuler

Nurse Ratched wrote:

Having said that and read all of your responses (thank you), I have since found
out that the recipient also likes "Americana", which a) I find much more
tolerable and b) have already located some ideas for.

I'll bite. What's Americana?
--Lia

Old July 21st 04, 04:48 AM
Ellison

Howdy!
Good one, Diana!
*sniff* I'm so proud.

Ragmop/Sandy--Queen of Beggars
(and obviously a good teacher, too)

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Hooray that you found out more, that its something you can work with.
I like the Thimbleberries I have seen, dont own any, and think it is
oppressive when used together with other Thimbleberries, but it could make

nice addition to other fabrics.
So, what does Americana say to you? Red, white and blue?
Diana

Old July 21st 04, 01:37 PM
Maureen Wozniak

I wouldn't quilt either if all I had to choose from was Thimbleberries.
That being said, I've picked up a couple of fabrics lately that I
didn't realize were Thimbleberries until I got them home. The colors
were clearer and less muddy that what I generally think of as
Thimbleberries.

Maureen

Nurse Ratched wrote:
2. I know what country/rustic means in terms of quilts and need
something that meets the definition but that doesn't make me puke.

Ah, Lia, you do have such a way of cutting to the heart of things.....

Thimbleberries, as several people suggested, is (are?) exactly what comes to my
mind when I think of "country" decor/quilts. I could accurately be described
as someone who would give up quilting if that were the only line of fabrics
available.

Old July 21st 04, 05:41 PM
Dr.Quilter

I think what you mention is french country? me, I like asian/japanese....
nothing further from frilly! mom likes victorian....

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out before replying)
"hfw" wrote in

"Dr.Quilter" wrote in message
flannels... bears, moose.... log cabins.... get yourself a debbie mum

book.
not my style, but if it were, I would do one of her patterns. my dad

likes
her, thus he got a flannel quilt. Sth like this might work:

Definitions are so funny.I tend to think of these more as rustic instead
of country.
What I call country,a relative of mine used to term as early American.
Yet another relative defines country as a decor involving lots of tole
painted objects and ruffly stuff,and that's what I call froo-froo.

Terri

Old July 21st 04, 05:45 PM
Dr.Quilter

you know. muddy blue, red, cream, browns - lots of big stitches, pinked
edges, straw, birds drawn like children's, bears, plaid, chickens, buttons,
ragrugs, honey coloured wooden furniture, buckets, milk jars...

Old July 22nd 04, 03:28 AM
Pati Cook

After reading all the replies here, I guess I am a real oddball. To me "country"
is gingham and overalls. Bright, clear colors and simple lines. Maybe some simple
ruffles.
The muddy colors are more Thimbleberries or "modern" country influence. Or
"primative". More natural dye type colors.

Americana I see as red, blue and off white...... sort of teadyed flag colors. with
golds added.

Then we could get into a real discussion about "Southwest" versus "Western/Rodeo"
and all sorts of things. BG

I make quilts with fabrics I can tolerate. If someone else wants to buy fabric for
me to make up, I might do it, I might not. BG

Pati, in Phx. Handpiecing and (maybe) handquilting during peak hours to reduce
electrical usage.

Nurse Ratched wrote:

I have been asked to consider making a quilt for a recipient (who is not the
requester) whose decorating taste has been described as "country/rustic". I

Old July 22nd 04, 12:50 PM
bogus address

I know what country/rustic means in terms of quilts

you know. muddy blue, red, cream, browns - lots of big stitches,
pinked edges, straw, birds drawn like children's, bears, plaid,
chickens, buttons, ragrugs, honey coloured wooden furniture,
buckets, milk jars...

And was me thinking it would have big stuffed areas to commemorate
Dolly Parton, pockets to stash your drugs to suit Willie Nelson,
matching quilted Bible cover, gun pouches in the border and a zip
down the middle for easy divorces.

======== Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce ========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.

Old July 22nd 04, 03:51 PM
Julia Altshuler

Pati Cook wrote:

Then we could get into a real discussion about "Southwest" versus "Western/Rodeo"
and all sorts of things. BG

It sounds like a joke, but I'd enjoy reading such a discussion. Some
styles have a single book you can go to for a definition. I know I
could recognize watercolor, and I believe that everyone on this list
recognizes it too and that we wouldn't disagree much on what makes a
watercolor quilt a watercolor quilt. Watercolor quilts might be made
with 2 1/2" squares or larger triangles, but we still know them when we
see them. Baltimore album is another example of a style that everyone
knows. One can be very creative within the style and still have it be
recognizeably that style.

That's not true of "country" or "southwest" or "western/rodeo (which
I've never heard of)." With those, I'll bet we all have different ideas
in our head on what they are.

--Lia

Old July 22nd 04, 06:47 PM
Pati Cook

Western/rodeo is sometimes what people think of when they say Southwestern. Cowboys,
horses, that type of thing. Sure those are found in the Southwest, and can be part of
"Southwest" but................ BG

Pati, in PHx