Country Quilt?

Old July 19th 04, 03:37 PM
KJ

I think almost anything from the Thimbleberries line of patterns and fabric
would fill the bill.

"Nurse Ratched" wrote in message
I have been asked to consider making a quilt for a recipient (who is not

the
requester) whose decorating taste has been described as "country/rustic".

don't care for or produce the kind of quilts that come to mind when

someone
describes their decor as "country". Anyone have any suggestions? I've

already
asked for more specifics.
Nurse Ratched (remove "cuckoo" from address to reply)
I don't have to love George Bush to love America.

Old July 19th 04, 03:55 PM
Roberta Zollner

You could make just about any traditional block and use earthy colors. OTOH,
the faded-looking 30s-style quilts often look just lovely in "country"
interiors.
Roberta in D

Old July 19th 04, 04:56 PM
Julia Altshuler

Nurse Ratched wrote:
I have been asked to consider making a quilt for a recipient (who is not the
requester) whose decorating taste has been described as "country/rustic". I
don't care for or produce the kind of quilts that come to mind when someone
describes their decor as "country". Anyone have any suggestions? I've already
asked for more specifics.

I'm seeing 2 questions:

1. What does country/rustic mean in terms of quilts?
2. I know what country/rustic means in terms of quilts and need
something that meets the definition but that doesn't make me puke.

Does that sum it up? The answer to the first question is block designs
like Ohio Star and Sunbonnet Sue with sashing and fabrics that are
calicoes meaning small florals with high contrast in muddy or muted
tones like brown, gold, olive, yellow, pink, rust, dusty rose and
unbleached muslin.

For the 2nd question, I suggest nice big squares in plaids. There are
fabrics with sunflowers and crows on them that aren't too bad. I'd tie
it with button in the center of each tie instead of quilting.

--Lia

Old July 19th 04, 05:17 PM
Kathryn Walker

Oooh! nice quilt, Terri. I like the colors and the block. Simple clean
lines.

Kathryn in Mi

Old July 20th 04, 04:38 AM
Sk8eraunt

For me its certain colors in warm earthy tones, plaids, simple block designs,
or Amish type designs. Whats your take on country?

Bingo! Anything Amish reminds me of country.

kaila

Old July 20th 04, 05:21 PM
Dr.Quilter

flannels... bears, moose.... log cabins.... get yourself a debbie mum book.
not my style, but if it were, I would do one of her patterns. my dad likes
her, thus he got a flannel quilt. Sth like this might work:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...92415406VtvyUf

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out before replying)

Old July 20th 04, 08:26 PM
hfw

That definitely says "country" to me!

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

Old July 20th 04, 11:14 PM
Nurse Ratched

2. I know what country/rustic means in terms of quilts and need
something that meets the definition but that doesn't make me puke.

Ah, Lia, you do have such a way of cutting to the heart of things.....

Thimbleberries, as several people suggested, is (are?) exactly what comes to my
mind when I think of "country" decor/quilts. I could accurately be described
as someone who would give up quilting if that were the only line of fabrics
available.

Having said that and read all of your responses (thank you), I have since found
out that the recipient also likes "Americana", which a) I find much more
tolerable and b) have already located some ideas for.

Old July 21st 04, 12:48 AM
Diana Curtis

Hooray that you found out more, that its something you can work with.
I like the Thimbleberries I have seen, dont own any, and think it is
oppressive when used together with other Thimbleberries, but it could make a
nice addition to other fabrics.
So, what does Americana say to you? Red, white and blue?
Diana