RCTQ squimish

Old May 19th 04, 12:36 AM
Shona in NZ

I did a google on squimish just to see what would happen. It came up with 10
sites, 9 of which were misspellings of squeamish. The one that was not:
http://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/s/squimish.asp

I quite like squimish. Here are a couple of definitions

Squimish (noun) a squishy that makes you squeamish; squeamish squishy -
although I couldn't think of anyone here sending such a thing :-)

Squimish (verb) the act of squirming just prior to or immediately after
opening a squishy ...Yah, that's it; squishies make me squirm and I am sure
they make others squirm too!

Shona who has done the squishy squirm a couple of times in NZ

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
[gentle snip]

You have invented a new word, and now we
get to figure out a new meaning to go with it.

[another gentle snip]

Old May 19th 04, 12:48 AM
Diana Curtis

There once was a girly named Meg,
Who loved to help with an egg
Shed crack it and then
make a sound like a hen
And slop it all down her leg.

Thats how it goes when the little one helps mommy bake. :-)
Diana

"Shona in NZ" wrote in message
Ok Diana,

I'll bite....

I would love to hear one of your limericks

Shona who won a limerick contest a few years back in NZ

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
That was a lovely explaination.
The mind that can compose those on the fly must be an interesting one
indeed.
I noticed you didnt ask to hear a limerick. No matter. I can only do

those
when the inspiration hits.
Diana

"the black rose" wrote in message
Oh yeah, and both are poetry forms.

Iambic pentameter is common in Shakespeare. Iambic is the rhythm
(da-DA) and pentameter is the number of beats (5). Iambic pentameter
goes thusly:
da-DA da-DA da-DA da-DA da-DA
ex: Beshrew | that heart | that makes | my heart | to groan |
(Shakespeare, sonnet 133)

Dactylic hexameter is more commonly used in ancient epic poetry (like
Homer and Virgil -- epic poetry defines and is defined by dactylic
hexameter). Dactylic rhythm is a mixture of DUM-diddy and/or DUM-dum,
and hexameter is 6 beats, thus:
DUM-diddy DUM-diddy DUM-diddy DUM-diddy DUM-diddy DUM-dum (can't end

in
diddy, and the important part is that the stress is on the first
syllable of the beat)
ex: Down in a | deep dark | hole sat an | old pig | munching a | bean
stalk |
ex: arma vi | rumque ca | no, Troi | ae qui | primus ab | oris (first
line of Virgil's Aeneid

Wow, that just sparked off an intense desire to go dust off Homer and
Virgil....

Diana Curtis wrote:

Nah, all winks and nudges aside, the idea of you procreating with

that
sort
of person doesnt scare me nearly as much as the notion of some

people
who
have chosen to have kids. Im actually feeling more hopeful about the

future
of humans now. I do, however, need to go look up iambic pentameter

and
dactylic hexameter . I seem to remember that IP is a poetry

form...the
other
sounds math-like.
Diana, who can make up limericks in her head

"the black rose" wrote in message

NightMist wrote:

Men who can improvise in dactylic hexameter need to be watched.
You never know what they will do in the middle of a conversation.

Oh dear. My husband can improvise in iambic pentameter; I'd better

keep
an eye on him! (er, well, we do have 3 sons, perhaps I kept *too*

close
an eye on him? *giggle*)

--
the black rose, wench with a wrench
proud to be owned by a yorkie

Old May 19th 04, 12:56 AM
Diana Curtis

I like your line of thought. As with most new words its definition will be
defined by its common usage. Does anyone else have thoughts to add to this?
Diana

Old May 19th 04, 01:12 AM
Johanna Gibson

On Wed, 19 May 2004 11:36:18 +1200, "Shona in NZ"
wrote:

I did a google on squimish just to see what would happen. It came up with 10
sites, 9 of which were misspellings of squeamish. The one that was not:
http://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/s/squimish.asp

I quite like squimish. Here are a couple of definitions

Squimish (noun) a squishy that makes you squeamish; squeamish squishy -
although I couldn't think of anyone here sending such a thing :-)

Squimish (verb) the act of squirming just prior to or immediately after
opening a squishy ...Yah, that's it; squishies make me squirm and I am sure
they make others squirm too!

Shona who has done the squishy squirm a couple of times in NZ

I think the verb should be "squimy" like "shimmy". When I get ready
to open a squishie, I squimy. If the squishie makes me shiver, then I
feel "squimish" (adjective).
Just my 2 cents worth.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old May 19th 04, 02:55 AM
Shona in NZ

Very good Jo! I agree with you.

Shona who could squimish with excitement over a squishie in NZ

news

Old May 19th 04, 03:41 PM
Elizabeth Young

Diana Curtis wrote:

There once was a girly named Meg,
Who loved to help with an egg
Shed crack it and then
make a sound like a hen
And slop it all down her leg.

Thats how it goes when the little one helps mommy bake. :-)
Diana

I think that I like to make quilts
But I'm just all covered in guilt-s
ee I'm a perpetual scholar
with nary a dollar
to spend on my stash, unbuilt!

liz young in sunny california
Old May 19th 04, 04:52 PM
Dr. Quilter

that is where my knowledge of the english language fails. I love the
program on NPR Wait wait don't tell but when they start with the
limericks I am completely lost! I guess I function all right in normal
society, including biology PhDs, but I would look like a fool in the
midst of a bunch of writers, language teachers and linguists! )

I also thought I had a pretty good education until I moved to Italy,
where some people still attend what they call a 'classic' highschool, oh
boy, those people were 'cultured'! Still, our highschool back home is a
lot more encompassing that high school here, so we do not have a general
college education, you chose a major before you enter the university and
are only taught subjects relevant to that major. You even choose between
three branches when you are 16: humanities, biology, and sciences in
increasing order of difficulty (notice biology is NOT considered a
science... )

Diana Curtis wrote:

Nah, all winks and nudges aside, the idea of you procreating with that

sort

of person doesnt scare me nearly as much as the notion of some people

who

have chosen to have kids. Im actually feeling more hopeful about the

future

of humans now. I do, however, need to go look up iambic pentameter and
dactylic hexameter . I seem to remember that IP is a poetry form...the

other

sounds math-like.
Diana, who can make up limericks in her head

"the black rose" wrote in message
. ..

NightMist wrote:

Men who can improvise in dactylic hexameter need to be watched.
You never know what they will do in the middle of a conversation.

Oh dear. My husband can improvise in iambic pentameter; I'd better keep
an eye on him! (er, well, we do have 3 sons, perhaps I kept *too* close
an eye on him? *giggle*)

--
the black rose, wench with a wrench
proud to be owned by a yorkie

--
the black rose, wench with a wrench
proud to be owned by a yorkie

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens
(take the dog out before replying)
Old May 19th 04, 10:01 PM
NightMist

On Tue, 18 May 2004 21:43:20 GMT, the black rose
wrote:

NightMist wrote:
Men who can improvise in dactylic hexameter need to be watched.
You never know what they will do in the middle of a conversation.

Oh dear. My husband can improvise in iambic pentameter; I'd better keep
an eye on him! (er, well, we do have 3 sons, perhaps I kept *too* close
an eye on him? *giggle*)

M'dear, it is not by keeping your _eye_ on him that you got those
boys!
Learn to keep your body parts straight!
Um.....let me think for a while on how to rephrase that......

NightMist
--
"It's such a gamble when you get a face"
- Richard Hell
Old May 19th 04, 10:03 PM
Rustqlts2

So I mispelled something, haven't you ever made a
mistake in typing something?

'Course not (g)

rusty , runnin' fast as i can and duckin"
Old May 20th 04, 02:39 AM
Sharon Harper

But hey! Where's she gone?

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/craft.html