Hurricane Charley

Old August 21st 04, 02:04 AM
escapee

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 21:48:05 -0300, Lucretia Borgia
opined:

Ah well. I suppose that's what it comes down to, having to pretend to
be anything but American.

We can all thank the current administration for that. I don't remember a time
in history, in my lifetime where the world has such dislike for our
administration. I know we've been rasped the "ugly American" for decades, but
the way we are reviled now is outright frightening...and apt, to be honest.

Old August 21st 04, 03:04 AM
Ruby

*belly laugh* I wouldn't know if my life depended on it. I just tend to
do
the whole OOT & ABOOT thing...keeping the vowels more rounded, eh? I can

do
a much more passable fake British accent, but that's because I only have

mimic how my husband speaks English. That, and I've talked with a few

Brits
in my time, and picked up a few pointers...like calling a shopping cart a
trolley.

I'm not very good at picking up on non-American dialects, though. I've

been
told that when I fake the British accent, it sounds like badly mangled
Manchester dialect.

I find that rather amusing, because in West Virginia, there are whole
bunches of documented mountain dialects. I can easily speak quite a few

of
them, and they do sound distinct from one another.

Mahn-chestaah, you say? Shall we stop for tea and biscuits?
Becky A.

I love hearing different dialects. I had an English teacher in grade 11 who
could tell almost to the town ,where in Canada one was from by the way the
language was used and pronounced. Since then my ears perk up whenever I
hear one different from my own, it is like music to my ears.
I used to think perhaps with Television dialects would disappear and become
one American or British form. That does not appear to be happening or if it
is not as quickly as I had thought. I watch BBC Canada a fair bit and it
amuses me to no end that some of the Scottish films have English subtitles.
LOL! I thought it was a hoot the first time I watched a movie set in Glasgow
Scotland and it had subtitles. Am watching a series at the moment in which
most of the characters are Geordies, Jimmy Nail is the lead actor.
My son lives in Glasgow and one of his flat mates is Italian. They were
standing at a bus stop one day and a couple of Glaswegians were carrying on
a conversation beside them. The Italian fellow asked my son what language
they were speaking. LOL!! I have to really concentrate to understand them.
I find it amazing how the language has developed in various places.
My Dad went to France on the 50th anniversary of liberation of France and
brought back a video. He sent it to me to have translated into English
thinking it would be a fairly easy task. LOL! Only by sheer luck did I find
someone who understood the dialect of French spoken on the video and it cost
me an arm and a leg to have it dubbed for him.
Ruby

Old August 21st 04, 06:03 PM
Darla

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 00:06:12 +0200, "Becky Andresen"
wrote:

currant administration

In charge of dried fruit?

....ducking and running....
Darla
Sacred cows make great hamburgers.
Old August 21st 04, 06:06 PM
Darla

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 23:44:19 -0400, Deb
wrote:

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 12:52:26 -0500, Dianne Lewandowski
wrote:

It is not possible to raise children in a courteous environment both in
the home and at school and have them behave like primitives when they
suddenly become 18. Somebody is not doing the job somewhere along the

You obviously have never had to manage a bachelor's quarters for
several thousand Navy and Marine personnel.

Oh. yes. they. can.

Get them out from under mom for the first time, and about 50% of them
are suddenly lobotomized.

I *know* many of these primitives were not raised that way. I saw a
number of them revert to actual human form when mom came to visit.

Don't ever leave, Deb.
Old August 21st 04, 06:13 PM
Darla

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 12:05:14 -0400, Deb
wrote:

Federal government controls the major utilities with very little
state, county or municipal interference.

????? The electric companies in our state are regulated by the state,
AFIK. Same in MI, if I remember correctly.

Wanna bet, Gary? You've never lived in California, have you?
Old August 21st 04, 06:25 PM
Darla

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:16:26 -0500, "SpringPam"
wrote:

on gasoline cans blowing up...hmmmm, I have lived in Texas heat and humidity
most of my life, and never knew that I was endangering myself with gas cans
for the mower and edger.

If gas cans are blowing up, it's because the owner is doing something
stupid.
Old August 21st 04, 06:52 PM
escapee

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 12:06:35 -0400, Deb
opined:

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:37:27 GMT, escapee
wrote:

They do that in Italy, also. They drive like maniacs, but when someone is in
the walk, they come to a halt. It's the funniest thing.

When I was in Italy in the Navy, they told us it was law. If a
vehicle hits a pedestrian, it is *always* the driver of the vehicle's
fault, even if the pedestrian stepped in front outside a crossway.

Actually, that's the law in the United States, also.

Old August 21st 04, 06:56 PM
escapee

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 12:31:13 -0400, Deb
opined:

chuckle I have to chime in. I remember when I was in high school
and the few years after (early seventies). We wore our jeans low (hip
huggers) and several inches below our belly buttons, our shorts short
(hot pants), our dresses and skirts short (mini dresses/skirts),
sometimes to the point that we absolutely could NOT bend over or even
sit down, or the dress or skirt would hike up way too far. Heck, I
have t-shirts now that I wear that are longer than some of the dresses
and skirts I used to wear. We had tube tops that clung to our
bra-less upper bodies, halter tops that barely covered our upper
bodies, and necklines that showed more cleavage than some of the young
women show today.

I wore hip huggers, not pubic bone huggers. Big difference. I never wore
macro-mini skirts, but I did wear mini-skirts. They were still long enough to
bend and sit. My father was a hairdresser and he did shows for the designer who
introduced the mini-skirt, Mary Quant. I never once in my life wore a tube top,
I have worn halters, but I will say back when I did, we didn't have as many
perverts around as we do now with the "information" age.

How many of us that are crying "slutty" today wore those same outfits
(or very similar) 30 years ago?

The "older generation" was shocked and horrified, and swore that we
were on the road to damnation, and that we women were just begging to
be raped or worse based on our outfits.

I agree that 11 is much, much too young. But, I will stipulate that
many of those in here that are in the mid 40's to mid 50's in age,
wore clothing that was just as skimpy and revealing when we were 20 or
so. And, I would suspect, that many of us have grown into
semi-rational and reasonable middle age.

Yeah, well, I am talking about 11 year old children, not women in their 20s.
The women in their 20s have the come F me now tattoo's.

And it's not just distasteful for an 11 year-old to be wearing such
fashions. It's _completely_ inappropriate.

On that, I agree 100%

But tats on the other hand...most of the girls in my dorm had back tattoos.

Tats I don't understand, at least in our 'fads', we didn't do much
that was permanent on our bodies....but tats are not restricted to the
young...my MOTHER got one.

Old August 22nd 04, 03:26 AM
Liz Hampton

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 23:35:43 +0200, "Becky Andresen"
wrote:

Sorry...but I can't agree. I AM in my early twenties (21, to be truthful)
and I can't abide with how girls dress nowadays. I don't want to see what
color g-string a girl is wearing...I don't want to see her ass-crack...I
don't want to know if she's got a navel piercing...and I certainly don't
want to see her boobs hanging out of her shirt. I REALLY don't need to be
seeing that. Dress like a respectable human being!!!

[...]

snip
Deb

--
I graduated from high school in 1974 and, while I remember hip huggers, none
of the girls I hung around with liked them. Not everyone wore those skimpy
outfits - especially to school. Our school dress code was still pretty
strict according to today's standards, though. I know we were allowed to
wear pants to school by then, but I don't remember if they were allowed to
be blue jeans. Most of us wore regulation length skirts or dresses (myself
when I was forced to wear on) or lived in waist height waisted pants and
"regular" shirts. Admittedly, we were part of the invisible group at the
school. :-)) I've never grown past that stage. I still live in jeans and
T shirts. Thank God I work in a rural library where that is acceptable
attire. I even added to it this week - I splurged and bought a Mad (about
reading) Cow shirt from Overdue Media.
My sister graduated from nursing school in 1973, though, and I remember my
mom commenting that her nursing uniforms were so short that when she worked
in the CCU she was either going to drive some poor old guy over the edge or
bring him back to life. My mom was as glad as anyone when they started to
allow nurses to wear pants suits. :-)))) What goes around comes around,
though. This very same sister now has two daughters, 13 & 15. :-)))) I
don't know what they wear, (they live in Berkshire, Warfield, (or is that
Warfield in Berkshire???) UK) but I suspect that their dad makes sure they
don't go out looking like they're asking for something he'd prefer they
didn't even know about. :-)))

I also agree about the 11 year olds wearing baby hooker clothing. What are
their parents thinking to let them out of the house like that? At 11, even
my older sister was under the "clothing authority" of my mom & dad. The
old refrain that "everybody else is wearing them" rarely worked. She didn't
always agree with their opinion, but she was the 11 year old & they were the
parents. It was much more of a benevolent dictatorship than a democracy.
Liz from Humbug