bias bars

Old July 16th 04, 09:31 PM
Listpig

To lye: to treat something with lye? (caustic substance)

--pig, noticing that "lye" didn't fit in there either place......

On 7/16/04 12:53, in article ,
"Ellison" wrote:

Howdy!
From Mrs. Patsy Pylant:

Lie: to recline (or tell a big fat made-up story!)
Lay: to place

Old July 17th 04, 02:05 AM
Polly Esther

Sandy, I can't believe it took me hours to catch your meaning. This heat is
killing me. It was one hundred and eleven here today and we can't get out
and jog some fresh air in our systems. Poor little Yorkie has to take care
of his fox hunting on a slow creepy walk of 100 yards. Yes. Lie, lay, lye,
soap. I have it now. Aren't you glad I'm not launching any satellites?
Polly

"Sandy Foster" wrote
And here I thought you were in the middle of making soap or something.

Old July 17th 04, 03:07 AM
Pati Cook

Another tip is to not worry about an even seam allowance, but to sew and even
tube. Sew with the fold on the line to give you the correct size tube for your
bar. Then trim the seam allowance even. Works very well.

Pati, in Phx

Mardi wrote:

The part about testing to see if the bar fits is really important.
It's really frustrating to sew the whole seam and then find that it's
a bit too tight to get the bar inside. A recent simply quilts on
celtic quilting suggested that you sew about 3 inches and then stick
the bias bar in the tube to make sure it fits before you continue
sewing. Makes sense to me.

Mardi

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 13:26:36 GMT, "Anna Belle"
wrote:

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 07:00:25 -0400, Pat in Virginia
wrote:

Okay, here's another question about bias bars. The set I have
gives the measurement to cut and instructs to stitch with 1/8"
seam allowance. UGH ... I do not like 1/8" SA. I'd much rather
cut a larger allowance and then trim if needed. So, how much
larger than the desired finished size (aka width of bar) do you
usually cut? TIA,
BTW: I have metal bars. I have an old pair of leather gloves and
plan to cut the fingers off to cover my own fingers when handling
mini irons, finicky seams, bars, etc.

PAT in sunny Virginia

Pat,
I think the easiest way is to choose a comfortable width for you, sew
a few inches, try the bar to make sure it will fit for pressing. If
it doesn't, start again. The only crucial measurement will be the
width of the seam on the left side where the bar fits. All else can
be trimmed away.
Anna Belle in Palm Bay who loves Celtic work

Real e-mail address spelled out to prevent spam. mardi at mardiweb dot com.
____________________

My Quilting page: http://www.mardiweb.com/quilts/MardiQuilts.html
Paint Shop Pro tutorials: http://www.mardiweb.com/web
Low-Fat Lifestyle Forum: http://www.mardiweb.com/lowfat

Old July 17th 04, 03:50 AM
Ginger in CA

When I make bias tube I don't do a seam at all! Decide the finished
width of your tube. For example, 1/4". Cut your strips shy 3/4". Fold
into thirds right side out. Baste down the center. Press. Voila! 1/4"
tubes, no seams, flatter tubes. You can use the spray starch lightly
to help keep them folded into the thirds if you want. Doing it this
way also means a whole lot more time to create your masterpiece with
the bias tube.

Have a peace-filled/piece-filled day
Ginger in CA
Ink Princess

"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message ...
My Celtic instructor though a half inch was a good SA for sewing on bias,
but this seems wasteful. I used 1/4" and trimmed, no problem.
Roberta in D

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
Okay, here's another question about bias bars. The set I have
gives the measurement to cut and instructs to stitch with 1/8"
seam allowance. UGH ... I do not like 1/8" SA. I'd much rather
cut a larger allowance and then trim if needed. So, how much
larger than the desired finished size (aka width of bar) do you
usually cut? TIA,
BTW: I have metal bars. I have an old pair of leather gloves and
plan to cut the fingers off to cover my own fingers when handling
mini irons, finicky seams, bars, etc.

PAT in sunny Virginia

Julia Altshuler wrote:
I am about to buy a set of bias bars. Those are the doohickeys that you
slide into bias tape so the seam ends up on the back and the whole thing
can be ironed easily.

Old July 17th 04, 03:54 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Polly Esther" wrote:

Sandy, I can't believe it took me hours to catch your meaning. This heat is
killing me. It was one hundred and eleven here today and we can't get out
and jog some fresh air in our systems. Poor little Yorkie has to take care
of his fox hunting on a slow creepy walk of 100 yards. Yes. Lie, lay, lye,
soap. I have it now. Aren't you glad I'm not launching any satellites?
Polly

"Sandy Foster" wrote
And here I thought you were in the middle of making soap or something.

LOL! Don't worry -- since none of us is in the habit of making lye soap
these days (I think g), it was a fairly obscure reference. But that's
what popped into my head when I read it.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1
Old July 17th 04, 04:50 PM
Dr.Quilter

same here. well, actually I use a bias tape maker (never had to make
anything less than 1/4 inch). if you use a pin to hold one end, the iron
makes it for you.... learnt the technique from Nancy Chong during her
aplique class.

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out before replying)
om...

Old July 17th 04, 04:59 PM
Laurie G.

I have actually sewn the bias tube with the bias bar inside using a zipper
foot! This way you are very sure of the tube size!

Laurie

Old July 18th 04, 12:56 AM
Pat in Virginia

Ginger, That's an interesting way to do the bias tubes. If you
use spray starch, I wonder if you can eliminate the basting step?
PAT

Old July 18th 04, 05:21 PM
Ginger in CA

I don't think so, it would just be an aid when you're sewing the big
basting stich. 'Course you have to understand I really like arguing
and fiddling with the tubes of fabric. If the bias tubes are too
bothersome, I hand baste instead of machine baste, it is like pinning
a voodoo doll this way while I mutter "dang, you tubes aren't going to
get the best of me" or some such thing.

Have a peace-filled/piece-filled day,
Ginger in CA
ah, just had my breakfast of homemade cinnamon-raisin bread. Yep, up
at 5AM to bake. Sunday mornings is my time just for me, and the whole
house gets to wake up to something baking each week.

Old July 18th 04, 06:19 PM
ME-Judy

Ooooh. Thanks for the tip Roberta! Now it's time for me to do a "raid" on my
DH's workbench area!
BEG
ME-Judy

"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message
Did a course once on Celtic appliqué, and the teacher told us to buy

those
plastic watchamacallits -cable holders?- at the hardware store. They

come
in
a couple of sizes and lengths, pretty flat, don't melt, won't burn your
fingers, and they are extremely cost-effective.

Bias tape frood Quilting 14 July 8th 04 05:41 PM
Hardanger Twisted Bars revisted Laury Walkey Needlework 3 March 7th 04 07:48 PM
Modeling clay as a substitute for "clay bars" for auto detailing? Jon Noring Polymer Clay 4 September 23rd 03 12:36 AM
OT-- A bias cut dress disaster! Polly Esther Quilting 10 August 13th 03 11:15 AM
Evertite bars BDS2pds Needlework 5 July 29th 03 08:56 PM